MGB: UNT considering forming hiring committee for new coach

Brett Vito

Hiring committees are not uncommon for high visibility jobs. Plus, for those who really want RV fired, you could take this as a sign that they don't want to interrupt the coaching search when he is let go.

Agreed.   Could simply be a sign or message saying they don't have confidence in his decision making.   Like the editorial says.   The writing is on the wall.   

Oh boy!

"Several UNT officials and boosters have expressed interest in joining a committee."

I can see Rick now:  "Sure Brint & Ernie, please help me find a new football coach!  Hey, y'all want to come over and play Super Smash Bros after we're done?"

you nailed it!  I think they have their eye on Josh Heupel

This is the worst possible news.  Now we will have faculty members who don't have a clue and honestly don't give a shat about football making huge decisions impacting our future.

Why would the president's office/Athletic Department nominate faculty members who have no knowledge or interest in football?  Similarly, why would a faculty member accept a nomination to serve on an athletic hiring committee if he or she had no interest in the outcome of the search?

I've served on hiring committees at two different universities, and it is WAY more work than most people realize.  You simply do not volunteer for such things unless you truly care about the results.

• Upvote 5

Why would the president's office/Athletic Department nominate faculty members who have no knowledge or interest in football?  Similarly, why would a faculty member accept a nomination to serve on an athletic hiring committee if he or she had no interest in the outcome of the search?

I've served on hiring committees at two different universities, and it is WAY more work than most people realize.  You simply do not volunteer for such things unless you truly care about the results.

I hope you are right, but I worry that they may want representation from various departments etc.  If the people they designate care then I am ok with it.  There are probably some business professors who could add a lot to the dialogue.

This is the worst possible news.  Now we will have faculty members who don't have a clue and honestly don't give a shat about football making huge decisions impacting our future.

This is what happens when leadership lacks accountability. RV is not good at the most important function of his job.

The only silver lining I can see is if the university leadership feels they have skin in the game they may pony up more to get where the president says he wants this program to go.

I was thinking Jordan Case and Joe Greene should be somewhere around that table. Maybe a couple ex-players younger than them too. I somewhat understand the academic process but it couldn't hurt to have input from people who've been there/done that.

• Upvote 1

This is bull.  What are we paying an AD for?  A committee approach is just a way of avoiding blame if the next hire goes sour.  We should just flat out not have an AD if this is the way we are going to move forward.

This is exactly right.  Any time you bring up Dodge or Mac to an AD defender all they say is "well he was forced to hire that person against his will by a committee/former president/ghost of Theron Fouts."

Committees are just fine as long as there is someone who is THE decision maker.  The one who takes the input, makes the final choice and says "Yes, I chose X, and I a the one accountable for their performance" 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We don't need a committee. We need a wise and knowledgeable AD.

No one wants to watch the mysterious big money doners advise RV on how to screw up our next 5 years of football, or watch faculty members with limited knowledge of college football dictate the direction of UNT football for the next decade.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

"Coach, how would your leadership make UNT football more inclusive and better serve those students of marginalized communities?"

"Coach, I believe we can all agree Katlyn Jenner is stunning and brave.  Can you please describe how you would encourage your players with their own transgendered identity to better educate their teammates and the university at large on LGBT issues?"

"Coach, what ideas do you have for encouraging environmental sustainability in your football program?"

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

"Coach, how would your leadership make UNT football more inclusive and better serve those students of marginalized communities?"

"Coach, I believe we can all agree Katlyn Jenner is stunning and brave.  Can you please describe how you would encourage your players with their own transgendered identity to better educate their teammates and the university at large on LGBT issues?"

"Coach, what ideas do you have for encouraging environmental sustainability in your football program?"

Don't forget community representatives.  "Coach, what would you do to help control the noise levels and traffic on Saturdays?  The previous coach was getting pretty good at this."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

RV is in a no lose situation here. If "the committee" picks a coach that is successful then RV will take the credit for his tireless efforts and research in spite of the shackles the search team placed on him. If "the committee" picks a dud then he will hang them out to dry and say his poor little hands were tied and it's just not his fault they forced this guy on him. This is playing out perfectly for RV. We have no time to properly conduct a search and hire an AD and then have the new AD have the time to hire a coach. If we did this we would be dead in the water in terms of recruiting. Firing Mac was RV's saving grace and he knows it. He has Neal right where he wants him and we're all paying the price for it.

• Upvote 2