UNT Coaching Candidate Chris Thomsen

StealthEagle84

out of curiosity, why aren't you a fan of his? Did you not like the job he did at ACU when he built them up from the ashes? Do you not like his resume as an assistant coach at P5 ASU? 

No, I don't like his resume as an offensive line coach at "P5" (like that means jackS) Arizona State. I also don't care what he did at scrub ACU. What will recruiting look like with this guy? It's an unknown (regardless of what BS you say) and that is something that is extremely concerning. In other words, he's a nobody trying to edge his niche as a head coach at a FBS program. Its just not appealing to me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

No, I don't like his resume as an offensive line coach at "P5" (like that means jackS) Arizona State. I also don't care what he did at scrub ACU. What will recruiting look like with this guy? It's an unknown (regardless of what BS you say) and that is something that is extremely concerning. In other words, he's a nobody trying to edge his niche as a head coach at a FBS program. Its just not appealing to me. 

who do you like as the candidates we should go after?

• Upvote 1

who do you like as the candidates we should go after?

Young and someone that people (RECRUITS) have heard of. This guy doesn't really fit either bill. Riley and Briles both do. And this "too inexperienced" bit is just gums flapping. Matt Campbell took over at Toledo at the age of 32. Ironically enough Matt Campbell (YOUNG COACH who knows how to relate to YOUNG players) has given Toledo THREE #1 MAC recruiting classes and a #2 MAC recruiting class in his 4 years there. We need Riley or Briles, I don't want anyone in particular, but there are coaches that we need and Chris Thomsen isn't it. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

Young and someone that people (RECRUITS) have heard of. This guy doesn't really fit either bill. Riley and Briles both do. And this "too inexperienced" bit is just gums flapping. Matt Campbell took over at Toledo at the age of 32. Ironically enough Matt Campbell (YOUNG COACH who knows how to relate to YOUNG players) has given Toledo THREE #1 MAC recruiting classes and a #2 MAC recruiting class in his 4 years there. We need Riley or Briles, I don't want anyone in particular, but there are coaches that we need and Chris Thomsen isn't it. 

how has his amazing recruiting classes turned out for him? Give it a rest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So far this is my favorite. Has an outstanding record as a HC at a program that is close enough that he knows how to recruit the area, and has seen how things work at the FBS levels for a few seasons. Has proven to have good talent evaluation. I also like the age range, 45ish, not too old to have no pressure to perform, not too inexperienced.

I fear that if we go with someone like Riley or Briles we will have a steep learning curve of learning on the job. If a good coordinator (not even sure Briles is that) translates to a good HC is always a coin toss and could go either way. While there are plenty of good examples, there are a very fair number of the splashy young coordinator not working out. For instance I am not yet impressed with Chad Morris at SMU either, don't like the product kliff Kingsbury puts on at Texas tech, and cannot forget what happend to southern miss under ellis johnson (ok he was not young). On the other hand if we take a HC, it has to be someone with a winning overall record. If people on this thread say that he lets his assitants do their jobs, then that sounds like a smart man to me.

Looking into the vacated games I think it is not too much of a concern. Seems like he got caught up on something that had happend primarily in track.

• Upvote 2

how has his amazing recruiting classes turned out for him? Give it a rest. 

Campbell's? It got Toledo in the top25 for a month. Ranked in the opening CFB playoff poll this year. Campbell has done more this year with Toledo than North Texas has done in over 100 years of football. That is just sad reality. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Campbell's? It got Toledo in the top25 for a month. Ranked in the opening CFB playoff poll this year. Campbell has done more this year with Toledo than North Texas has done in over 100 years of football. That is just sad reality. 

then go ride Toledo's jock. For every young hire there are 10 that don't work. He is one who did.  9-4 and a few games that went either way and you're looking at a coach who isn't "successful". He has done some good things but let's not sit here and pretend just because you hire a young offensive minded HC that you'll be successful.  You know it isn't true and it's getting tiresome reading your same point over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

then go ride Toledo's jock. For every young hire there are 10 that don't work. He is one who did.  9-4 and a few games that went either way and you're looking at a coach who isn't "successful". He has done some good things but let's not sit here and pretend just because you hire a young offensive minded HC that you'll be successful.  You know it isn't true and it's getting tiresome reading your same point over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. 

Well then block me as I don't want an old man heading this program ever again. Get it. It's bad for business. Now, block me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Well then block me and gtfo. I don't want a wrinkly old nutsack heading this program ever again. Get it. It's bad for business. Now, block me. 

you can't post without going on a tirade. How old are you? Someone makes a counterpoint and there you go flying off the handle. Take a chill pill man life ain't that serious. Btw, how do these "wrinkly old nutsacks" do so well in college hoops surely they have to relate to players?? Hmmm your logic is off base.  One doesn't have to be young to relate just willing to do things different.  Chico ain't exactly in his prime, yet, the players would run into a flaming pile of wood with a squirt gun for him. Why? Because he relates, he has energy, and is creative.  Get it?? You don't have to run around screaming F the world, and Get the F out, and Kiss my a if people's opinions are different from yours.  There are PLENTY of great football minds who think this guy is more than ready to be our HC. I trust their knowledge of the game far more than yours.  Sorry.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

you can't post without going on a tirade. How old are you? Someone makes a counterpoint and there you go flying off the handle. Take a chill pill man life ain't that serious. Btw, how do these "wrinkly old nutsacks" do so well in college hoops surely they have to relate to players?? Hmmm your logic is off base.  One doesn't have to be young to relate just willing to do things different.  Chico ain't exactly in his prime, yet, the players would run into a flaming pile of wood with a squirt gun for him. Why? Because he relates, he has energy, and is creative.  Get it?? You don't have to run around screaming F the world, and Get the F out, and Kiss my a if people's opinions are different from yours.  There are PLENTY of great football minds who think this guy is more than ready to be our HC. I trust their knowledge of the game far more than yours.  Sorry.  

This.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

For those who are anti-Briles because of NCAA violations, ACU vacated 10 wins because of the actions of Thomsen's staff so there is that.

Thomsen has been at the FBS-level as a position coach for 2 years. Lincoln Riley has been a coordinator at the FBS level for 6 years and been an FBS-level coach for ten years and a student assistant coach for 3 years before that so he has 13 years coaching at the FBS level. The coaching that Thomsen did before Riley started his career was as an ACU assistant and as a HS OC. Sometimes it isn't the age but the length and type of experience that matters.

Canales has way better experience than Thomsen as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well then block me and gtfo. I don't want a wrinkly old nutsack heading this program ever again. Get it. It's bad for business. Now, block me. 

I think he has a good point: good recruiters know how to recruit.  Be it young or old.  He is suggesting that you can't just go after a young coach because he's young, and you can't just throw BS out there that all young coaches know how to recruit.

Someone is trying to engage you for some discussion, and instead of providing any kind of statistical or observable facts that back your wishlist, you tell people to block and GTFO.  Are you trying to win a debate, or make enemies? Your choice.

• Upvote 2

You call that your counterpoint? And I am not going on a tirade. It's simple, if you don't like what I have to say then block me. Oh, and I'm 28. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

You call that your counterpoint? And I am not going on a tirade. It's simple, if you don't like what I have to say then block me. Oh, and I'm 28. 

No, that was a statement. The counterpoint came after that. 

• Downvote 1

I think he has a good point: good recruiters know how to recruit.  Be it young or old.  He is suggesting that you can't just go after a young coach because he's young, and you can't just throw BS out there that all young coaches know how to recruit.

Someone is trying to engage you for some discussion, and instead of providing any kind of statistical or observable facts that back your wishlist, you tell people to block and GTFO.  Are you trying to win a debate, or make enemies? Your choice.

He is not engaging me in "discussion." He's being condescending. I am just trying to not let this fan base let someone sway us into another bad coaching decision. Thomeson has done nothing as far as I'm concerned. He hasn't had to recruit with his name at the FBS level, no one has heard of him, and he has been a freaking offensive line coach for the last 5 or 6 years. That is not someone I want here running this program. It doesn't even have to be 32 years young. Thomeson is at an appropriate age at 45, but no older than that. But, again, no one knows who this is. This isn't going to give us any kind of tick in recruiting and Billy can vouch for this, we really need an uptick in recruiting more than ever. Thomeson may be a winner at ACU where he can pile up FBS rejects and win with them and that is great and good for him. But he hasn't had to recruit at this level with his last name at an FBS program. If he was a stock, I'd pass. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

He is not engaging me in "discussion." He's being condescending. I am just trying to not let this fan base let someone sway us into another bad coaching decision. Thomeson has done nothing as far as I'm concerned. He hasn't had to recruit with his name at the FBS level, no one has heard of him, and he has been a freaking offensive line coach for the last 5 or 6 years. That is not someone I want here running this program. It doesn't even have to be 32 years young. Thomeson is at an appropriate age at 45, but no older than that. But, again, no one knows who this is. This isn't going to give us any kind of tick in recruiting and Billy can vouch for this, we really need an uptick in recruiting more than ever. Thomeson may be a winner at ACU where he can pile up FBS rejects and win with them and that is great and good for him. But he hasn't had to recruit at this level with his last name at an FBS program. If he was a stock, I'd pass. 

read this article, then let me know if you would switch his accomplishments with our previous two HC's? The guy is from West, Tx. Has ties out there from Tech days, has ties over DFW from ASU, the TVCC HC has him listed as a professional reference (winner has winner as reference).  I am just not seeing how you could so adamantly oppose this guy? All he has done is win, also he ran the Tech program before their bowl game vs Minnesota not exactly the easiest time to take over.  

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=208250646 sorry forgot the link. The guy is accomplished, he has spent times at major programs and learned from some good HCs.  If Riley isn't an option I see no reason for giving him a look.

Edited by GMG24

Chris Thomsen coached 5 NFL draft picks at Division II ACU. The last time we had an NFL draft pick Ben was still in high school. Thomsen was recruiting and coaching NFL drafted players at ACU while we are hoping our players get camp invites. I'm not saying he should be our coach, I'm saying at least research the coach your knocking.

Edited by Eagle-96

Chris Thomsen coached 5 NFL draft picks at Division II ACU. The last time we had an NFL draft pick Ben was still in high school. Thomsen was recruiting and coaching NFL drafted players at ACU while we are hoping our players get camp invites. I'm not saying he should be our coach, I'm saying at least research the coach your knocking.

The recruitment of two of those NFL draft picks also led to ACU vacating ten wins.

Edited by Cr1028