Chico

MGNation92

I don't mind if anybody likes the guy or roots for him. But as the OC/Quarterbacks coach to me the results have been dismal. And I'm way behind the whole "nice guy, I like him" phase. 

I expect the team to come out Thursday fired up, playing loose, and putting up a fight. 

Then Doughty lights us up like a Christmas tree. 

• Upvote 3

I don't mind if anybody likes the guy or roots for him. But as the OC/Quarterbacks coach to me the results have been dismal. And I'm way behind the whole "nice guy, I like him" phase. 

I expect the team to come out Thursday fired up, playing loose, and putting up a fight. 

Then Doughty lights us up like a Christmas tree. 

His results as OC have been dismal.  What about his results as interim HC?

We aren't going to win 7 games, Chico won't be considered.

I must have missed this miracle when he was interim coach? We beat a really  really bad WK (Whipping Boy of the Sun Belt) that we were going to beat regardless and at the Muts? So what? We had Lance Dunbar against the worst Run Defense in the NCAA D1a that year, so we hung with K-State and lost by 8 points. So it looks like at best Chico did  marginally better, nothing that a firing coach bounce could not explain? Look below at the chart. 

People were tired of Dodge and we had a bit of a fire the coach bounce back with the players. 

Dodge had some tougher competition Clemson, Rice that we lost only one point, Army (who went to a bowl and won)  and only a one point loss to ULALA (I wonder if the cheating had begun yet) A-State were bad and I agree he had lost the team for that one,  Flordia International that went to a bowl and won the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. Just becuase Dodge had lost the team, the new interim  coach gets the pucker benefit.

Or I just expect much more than most. Remember if Chico was really constrained by Mac he could have moved on long ago, if he was really good he would have been plucked up also. Now Chico has nothing to lose, so open it up and go buck wild. Bring us a couple of wins help your resume and best of luck to you sir. 

2010:  3-9-0

Coach:

Todd Dodge

Mike Canales

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

09-04-2010

Clemson (SC)

Clemson, SC

L

09-11-2010

Rice (TX)

Denton, TX

L

09-18-2010

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

W

09-25-2010

Florida Atlantic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

L

10-02-2010

Louisiana-Lafayette

Denton, TX

L

10-09-2010

Arkansas St.

Denton, TX

L

10-16-2010

Florida International

Denton, TX

W

10-30-2010

Western Kentucky

Bowling Green, KY

L

11-06-2010

Troy (AL)

Denton, TX

W

11-13-2010

Middle Tennessee St.

Murfreesboro, TN

L

11-20-2010

Louisiana-Monroe

Monroe, LA

L

11-27-2010

Kansas St.

Denton, TX

Season Totals

Notes:

Todd Dodge coached games 1-7

Mike Canales coached games 8-12

I must have missed this miracle when he was interim coach? We beat a really  really bad WK (Whipping Boy of the Sun Belt) that we were going to beat regardless and at the Muts? So what? We had Lance Dunbar against the worst Run Defense in the NCAA D1a that year, so we hung with K-State and lost by 8 points. So it looks like at best Chico did  marginally better, nothing that a firing coach bounce could not explain? Look below at the chart. 

People were tired of Dodge and we had a bit of a fire the coach bounce back with the players. 

Dodge had some tougher competition Clemson, Rice that we lost only one point, Army (who went to a bowl and won)  and only a one point loss to ULALA (I wonder if the cheating had begun yet) A-State were bad and I agree he had lost the team for that one,  Flordia International that went to a bowl and won the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. Just becuase Dodge had lost the team, the new interim  coach gets the pucker benefit.

Or I just expect much more than most. Remember if Chico was really constrained by Mac he could have moved on long ago, if he was really good he would have been plucked up also. Now Chico has nothing to lose, so open it up and go buck wild. Bring us a couple of wins help your resume and best of luck to you sir. 

Coach:

Todd Dodge

Mike Canales

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

09-04-2010

Clemson (SC)

Clemson, SC

L

09-11-2010

Rice (TX)

Denton, TX

L

09-18-2010

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

W

09-25-2010

Florida Atlantic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

L

10-02-2010

Louisiana-Lafayette

Denton, TX

L

10-09-2010

Arkansas St.

Denton, TX

L

10-16-2010

Florida International

Denton, TX

W

10-30-2010

Western Kentucky

Bowling Green, KY

L

11-06-2010

Troy (AL)

Denton, TX

W

11-13-2010

Middle Tennessee St.

Murfreesboro, TN

L

11-20-2010

Louisiana-Monroe

Monroe, LA

L

11-27-2010

Kansas St.

Denton, TX

Season Totals

Notes:

I remember the Monroe game. Defense was horrible. We gave up 40+ in three of the five after not giving up forty all year. 

• Upvote 1

I remember the Monroe game. Defense was horrible. We gave up 40+ in three of the five after not giving up forty all year. 

Several people don't let the facts get in their way. Just wow Chico sounded good, or he talked to me and said he would like to be our next Head Coach. 

Coach:

Todd Dodge

Mike Canales

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

L

09-04-2010

Clemson (SC)

Clemson, SC

L

09-11-2010

Rice (TX)

Denton, TX

L

09-18-2010

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

W

09-25-2010

Florida Atlantic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

L

10-02-2010

Louisiana-Lafayette

Denton, TX

L

10-09-2010

Arkansas St.

Denton, TX

L

10-16-2010

Florida International

Denton, TX

W

10-30-2010

Western Kentucky

Bowling Green, KY

L

11-06-2010

Troy (AL)

Denton, TX

W

11-13-2010

Middle Tennessee St.

Murfreesboro, TN

L

11-20-2010

Louisiana-Monroe

Monroe, LA

L

11-27-2010

Kansas St.

Denton, TX

Season Totals

Notes:

Remember, we were on QBs 3 and 4 for games 3-12. Riley had been moved to WR because of nerve damage in his arm and we all know Chase Baine's situation. We lost several close games and had 14 starters out to injury. Let's reserve judgment until at least Friday, shall we? The 2010 team was not as bad as their record.

Everybody else can reserve their judgement. I've seen the same thing for years. Obviously I don't make the decision but there's no way I hire the guy. I wouldn't keep him as my OC much less my head coach. This is back-up quarterback syndrome to the nth degree. 

It's one man's opinion but this is the most absurd discussion on this board. It's so short-sighted it's almost unbelievable. 

• Upvote 3

Everybody else can reserve their judgement. I've seen the same thing for years. Obviously I don't make the decision but there's no way I hire the guy. I wouldn't keep him as my OC much less my head coach. This is back-up quarterback syndrome to the nth degree. 

It's one man's opinion but this is the most absurd discussion on this board. It's so short-sighted it's almost unbelievable. 

So true. His press conference he said the players were hurting and we'd just push though. Seriously, the players quit midway through the 1'st quarter of that game.They forced this to happen, I'd have no idea why they would be hurting. Maybe he meant laughing.

• Upvote 2

So true. His press conference he said the players were hurting and we'd just push though. Seriously, the players quit midway through the 1'st quarter of that game.They forced this to happen, I'd have no idea why they would be hurting. Maybe he meant laughing.

Because they obviously had heard that Mac was gone before the game even started and the whole coaching staff would most likely be gone at the end of the season. 

Remember, we were on QBs 3 and 4 for games 3-12. Riley had been moved to WR because of nerve damage in his arm and we all know Chase Baine's situation. We lost several close games and had 14 starters out to injury. Let's reserve judgment until at least Friday, shall we? The 2010 team was not as bad as their record.

Still nothing special. I don't see how it really matters there is much  much better out their for a fresh start that can recruit our area of the world.

I have been told and it seems to be verified that the decision has already been made that Chico is not an option period regardless of record as it should be. Best of luck to him. 

Riley was back at QB the first game Canales was acting HC @Cr1028 and was the QB until he got hurt again in the 4th quarter of the last game.

• Upvote 1

Thinking back I guess that makes sense. It did look the team was attending a funeral rather than a game. What a mess.

Because RV was able to fire the coach right after the game, doesn't that indicate all the preparations had already been done -- such as getting the president and/or board to agree to a buyout amount and the decision to fire the coach? This isn't something RV could freelance. The writing must have been on the wall before we took the field.

• Upvote 2

Because RV was able to fire the coach right after the game, doesn't that indicate all the preparations had already been done -- such as getting the president and/or board to agree to a buyout amount and the decision to fire the coach? This isn't something RV could freelance. The writing must have been on the wall before we took the field.

No the  decision was made before Saturday it seemed, so maybe it was done on the Friday before the game, word was getting around by 10:16am that Saturday, that it had been completely approved and it was a finalized deal regardless of how the game turned out Mac was to be fired. 

No the  decision was made before Saturday it seemed, so maybe it was done on the Friday before the game, word was getting around by 10:16am that Saturday, that it had been completely approved and it was a finalized deal regardless of how the game turned out Mac was to be fired. 

May not have happened after PSU, probably after this game. I agree, I think it was already in the works and this just sped it up. Team probably already had some indication. 

May not have happened after PSU, probably after this game. I agree, I think it was already in the works and this just sped it up. Team probably already had some indication. 

I was kind of expecting the announcement tomorrow myself also when I first heard it.

RV probably saw an opportunity to help his cause by accelerating it after such a horrific  loss that RV himself helped construct.  RV could now go around and say look I took care of business and I have a vision. Instead of RV actually taking responsibility for letting the news get out.