MGB: If McNulty wasn't the best option, he wouldn't be out there

Brett Vito

I don't care what they like. Mike Leach's offensive system at a G5 program is what allow G5's to thrive. Also, he would be able to recruit skill position players and more importantly, an effective QB. 

Reality is tougher to like than fantasy, young BG...another life lesson that following the Mean Green is teaching you...

It's very difficult to NOT improve from 

16-34 128 0-2

Between the LBs and the QB you have 3/4 of the team captains. Maybe all the talk about lack of leadership wasn't just talk and maybe it's still not fixed.

As for "savior" QBs, only Berglund and Smith were really sought after cling out of HS and Greer is probably who many coaches thought he would be. (I'm sure @BillySee58 will correct me if I'm wrong about their HS recruitments)

It's the sort of improvement McNulty should have had from say, year one to year two, or during practices. It's not the sort of improvement you should expect to see in a senior QB. It's pretty inexcusable, either on his part or the part of the coaches.

• Upvote 1

It's the sort of improvement McNulty should have had from say, year one to year two, or during practices. It's not the sort of improvement you should expect to see in a senior QB. It's pretty inexcusable, either on his part or the part of the coaches.

Mini was a recipient of a charitable contribution when he got offered here, so it's hard to really blame him for his performance on the field. Never heard of a QB from half way across the country being offered a free ride at a school in Texas when he had no other offers period. Beating the proverbial dead horse once again,  but maybe Mac will wiggle out a charitable deduction from it all. 

• Upvote 2

He would cost way more than we will ever pay for a coach. Plus, he hates glad-handing alumni and playing nice with the AD, which is why Tech turned on him, among other things. As you have seen here, the 12 big money donors DEMAND that you be super nice to RV and enjoy their company. They like guys like Dan McCarney and Tony Benford, who are the polar opposite of Mike Leach.

incorrect on Leach. Ken Hance(former chancellor) and Gerald Myers (former AD) couldn't stand leach. They were looking for a reason to fire him. He wasn't the best with alums at Tech but 99% of them loved him.  But you are correct on cost. It would have to be in the 800K range to start. But maybe after a bad year at WST maybe he might be as picky. If you could convince him to live in Lubbock you can convince him to live north of the metroplex.

I saw the national championship, and I saw an OC adjust his play calling and offense on the fly.  C. Jones has a totally different skill set than Barrett or miller.  He has a strong arm, so they went deep.  He wasn't as fast as the other two, but bigger. So they still ran the QB, but with a different style and he broke tackles instead of out running and juking.  

At sosome point, you still have to make a play even though the defense has an idea of what is coming. The needle has to be threaded and tackles have to be broken.  

We have a smash mouth head coach, with a gimmicky OC.  Our personel does not fit what the head coach wants.  We have scat backs and TEs who can't block.  It's like Chico is trying to sneak his type of guys in here in hopes that Mac would change his mind, quit, get fired or die. Even our big back dances.  

The biggest mistake is pretending to open up the offense.  Chico should have went on and took a job somewhere else and Mac should have gotten someone that shared his same philosophy and gotten a running QB, and some tackle breaking, ball control RBs.  SEE RICE as an example.

There may have been insinuation that the offense was going to "open up", but really, all they were saying was that they are moving to uptempo.  Don't have to change a thing to run uptempo...  You just gotta execute alot better or you wind up gassing your defense.

Think about the buzz Leach would bring to the program.  The local media would start paying attention to the program, season ticket sales would go through the roof, and it would be huge for recruiting.  We'd begin to play exciting football and might actually win for a change.   

I don't know about that.   
I think most will remember that he "treats players poorly", and failed miserably away from the rich plains of Lubbock.

Think about the buzz Leach would bring to the program.  The local media would start paying attention to the program, season ticket sales would go through the roof, and it would be huge for recruiting.  We'd begin to play exciting football and might actually win for a change.   

If it would work financially I'm certainly all for it, but this thought sounds eerily similar to what we heard before the hire we made in 2006.

I thought it was Dillman's HS coach that decided he wasn't a FBS quarterback. He has more quarterback skins on the wall than our coaches so I'm glad they are taking his advice.

So we're listening to his HS coach for his evaluation??? Nuts!

Why not see what he had at QB before we bulked him up to play TE? -or wherever.

Thank goodness we listened  to McNulty's HS coach.

I don't know about that.   I think most will remember that he "treats players poorly", and failed miserably away from the rich plains of Lubbock.

Yeah, I don't think he'd do much for our recruiting. Think about it like this, the current high school seniors were in 6th grade the last time Mike Leach coached a game at Texas Tech. He also doesn't fit the mold of the modern day recruiting aces who are personable, very active on twitter, and very in tune with modern-day high school kids.

So we're listening to his HS coach for his evaluation??? Nuts!

Why not see what he had at QB before we bulked him up to play TE? -or wherever.

Thank goodness we listened  to McNulty's HS coach.

I wish we would've listened to the many P5 coaches who believed Dillman was an FBS QB and could play the position for their school (Nebraska, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida State, over half the PAC 12) and at least given him a shot.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Dillman may have more talent at the QB position than any other QB on the roster, but oh well.

I bet the dude has more talent then AM. my freaking gosh this is so Dan McCarney... We get a player that was recruited by Nebraska (and pretty much had the school locked in) to play QB, freaking NAH BRASS KKA! and he isn't even given a (lets just see if he can throw it) at practice or something just for shits and giggles. He's going to play TE no matter what. We could have the next Brett Favre QB 2.0 on our roster, and Dan man would come up with some excuse as to why he's not mature enough or he doesn't know the play book well enough.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

I bet the dude has more talent then AM. my freaking gosh this is so Dan McCarney... We get a player that was recruited by Nebraska (and pretty much had the school locked in) to play QB, freaking NAH BRASS KKA! and he isn't even given a (lets just see if he can throw it) at practice or something just for shits and giggles. He's going to play TE no matter what. We could have the next Brett Favre QB 2.0 on our roster, and Dan man would come up with some excuse as to why he's not mature enough or he doesn't know the play book well enough.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kevin-Dillman-21141/RecruitInterests

I never saw his offer list until now. I officially give up on Dan McCarney.

• Upvote 1

Well, Mike Leach isn't that expensive. Problem is, their AD bought into him and it's likely that WSU is stuck with him unless someone fotks over 4.8 million to buy him out after this season. That's not likely going to happen at WSU. His current contract expires at the end of 2019. 

How big of a paycut from his currently 2.75 mil a season do you think he's going to take? 

Isn't this a result of the up-tempo more than anything else? So should we go back to the slow-down running game offense we had before? :P 

It could be or its just the turnovers or 3 & outs. Our defense was on the field for 4:14 minutes when we forced them to punt. We muffed the punt, then our defense was back on the field for a minute and a half so over 5 minutes in the 1st/2nd quarter caused by a turnover.

Next....The Defense holds Rice to negative yards and forces them to punt but has the ball for 2 minutes. Our offense goes 54 yards in less than a minute (Fantastic) but we fumble with TOP at 47 seconds. Rice takes the ball down the field and kicks a field goal as time expires with a TOP of 1:37.

Next.... 3rd qtr we receive the ball and take the ball 30 yards down field, once again this is great, but we throw an INT with a TOP of 1:36. Rice gets the ball and scores in 2 minutes. We then receive the ball and can only drum up a whopping 6 yards and are forced to Punt (TOP 1:30). Rice then holds the ball for 3 minutes and scores again.

Its a trend that isnt always because of a High up tempo offense but when you turn the ball over and have incompetent play calling/execution, the Upbeat offense doesnt help matters. You run things to perfection and dont have turnovers Uptempo works but bad teams make bad plays which leads to being slaughtered in the TOP stat.

RICE: 41:50 to our 18:10 (-23:40)

SMU: 33:25 to our 24:10 (-9:15)

Season total:

Opponents: 75:15 to our 42:20 (-32:55)

The SMU game wasnt to bad but the Rice Game was pathetic in my Opinion

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but all of those offers came in prior to the "QB Guru"s assessment of Dillman.   I mean, who ya gonna trust?  Guys like Tom Herman & Brent Venables?  Or a high school coach?

If Walsh doesn't think Dillman is an FBS QB then there's no way he would've thought guys like Mcnulty, Greer, or Means would've been as high schoolers either. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1