Ticket reporting that UT AD will be fired

UNT90

Either we're broke and can't get out of contracts, or we're not broke but are masochistic. 

Look, you're going to come to 1 of 2 realizations:

1) Contrary to FlyOnTheWall, we are truly broke.  This is an RV responsibility and, per Cerebus's numbers, he has failed.

2) We really do have money, so RV is truly responsible for making these hires and, worse yet, keeping them around.

The solution to both issues is the same.

• Upvote 3

I fell ou are making fun of me and the other 12 to 15 people that underwrote the beginnings of the stadium when you say it was all on the SGA

I wish 100 people would come along and "steal some more glory", because the sum of the parts would be in a much better place.

And here is where you and I have our biggest disagreement. 

IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN 12 TO 15 PEOPLE.

It should have been a hundred or more. We have a huge alumni base from which to cultivate donors. The AD simply hasn't done his job on this area.

As much as we disagree on the direction of this program, I'm VERY thankful for your involvement. I just think there are many more of you out there that haven't been cultivated.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

And here is where you and I have our biggest disagreement. 

IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN 12 TO 15 PEOPLE.

It should have been a hundred or more. We have a huge alumni base from which to cultivate donors. The AD simply hasn't done his job on this area.

As much as we disagree on the direction of this program, I'm VERY thankful for your involvement. I just think there are many more of you out there that haven't been cultivated.

And at the time the development department was #1.  so inept that and #2. hated the fact that the largest project ever was about to get off of the ground, that they were just not helping. You just have no idea the miracle that Apogee stadium is and the perfect storm that got it built.  

Again, I TOTALLY agree that we are to a point where wins and losses and conference championships are now the watermark.  These coaches and athletes have all the tools they need, from recruiting budget, to money to hire coaches, to facilities in place.  From the presidents office down, everyone expects success, including the head football coach, who just hates to lose.  This thing will play out how it is supposed to.  Half the teams in the country lost last week, we were one of them and it pisses all of us off.  You just don't knee jerk with million dollar business models.

• Upvote 6

Uh, yeah.  Before the Big 12 fell apart with defections, it was the best football conference in America.  Tech was in the hunt for the championship several years in a row before the entire Leach/James fiasco.  They've had national success, at times in several other sports, as well.  

The SEC (and BCS Championship Bowl record) does not agree with your assessment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

My understanding of funding Apogee is as follows:

• The legislature releases a biennial General Appropriations Act.
  • Traditionally, Section III of that Act covers funding of education in Texas.
  • The "Article III Riders" are special provisions that regulate the use of state fund in Athletics, among other issues.
  • Sec 9 states that "no educational and general funds appropriated may be used for the operation of intercollegiate athletics"
  • The student government spearheads student passage of a $10 athletics fee.
  • That fee can not be collected until the stadium is built. 
  • $38 million in student fee revenue bonds are issued.
  • Amount X is raised in by private donors, I have never seen the X amount published.
  • Construction costs end up being $72 million.
  • The athletic fee can now be collected, though it is discounted the first year.  
  • Stadium club seats are sold requiring a donation to the stadium fund at  $3,125/$6,250/$12,500 per seat.
  • Club boxes are sold for unpublished pricing.  
  • $72 million - $38 million - $X million - (club level donations) = $Y million still to be raised.
  • I have no real clear idea of how the remainder Y is financed. 

At a certain point I thought Apogee had contributed $20 million towards Y, but I am told that was a services in kind donation.  I am guessing the university is allowed to shift cash over to the stadium fund in exchange for Apogees residential hall internet service.  I do believe the 5 year funding agreement with HUB International is a cash deal, but I do not know the amount.

The BOR has the ability to raise the fee 10% a year without a student vote.  Anything above that requires a vote on the increase, not the entire fee.  

Edited by Cerebus

And at the time the development department was #1.  so inept that and #2. hated the fact that the largest project ever was about to get off of the ground, that they were just not helping. You just have no idea the miracle that Apogee stadium is and the perfect storm that got it built.  

Again, I TOTALLY agree that we are to a point where wins and losses and conference championships are now the watermark.  These coaches and athletes have all the tools they need, from recruiting budget, to money to hire coaches, to facilities in place.  From the presidents office down, everyone expects success, including the head football coach, who just hates to lose.  This thing will play out how it is supposed to.  Half the teams in the country lost last week, we were one of them and it pisses all of us off.  You just don't knee jerk with million dollar business models.

It's finally in print.  Lee Jackson is against us, just as we all expected!  

</sarcasm...I think?>

• Upvote 3

And one other thing.  It's not about glory, it's about helping our university, and helping student athletes with the tools they need to succeed, and being proud of the institution that helped us along when we needed it.  I wish 100 people would come along and "steal some more glory", because the sum of the parts would be in a much better place.

Being the grass roots kinda guy I am, I wish 10,000 people would come along and "steal some more glory" in the regular seats on the alumni side, but honestly, try as I might, and you know I've brought my share of people to games, I just can't make the product attractive enough to get them to commit.

• Upvote 4

UT can afford to buy his $1.4 million out right now. NT can't even afford $200k right now.

And, not one cent of that money would come from the athletic budget.  Entirely new funds from donors raised in about an hour of phone calls. 

• Upvote 1

and one of those phone calls was likely a 1 minute call with Red McCombs to procure about 1/2 of those funds.

Joe Jamail...story is he cannot stand the AD.  When Joe Jamail speaks, the University of Texas listens!

His entire buyout is actually more like 5-6 mil but again that is a drop in the bucket for UT.

And, again...not one red cent of that $5-6 million from the Athletic Dept. budget.  Exactly the same situation as UNT as Fly points out.  It is not UT's bucket from which the funds will come.

• Upvote 1

When you are not doing the things it takes to win, you don't hate to lose. 

• Upvote 6

With out being insulting, because I know you don't mean to direct anything you are doing at me or anyone like me.  Let me explain to you how it went.

#1.  In the state of texas by law only 50% of student funds can be used to finance apogee

#2.  Bataille told RV he had to raise a certain amount of money before she would agree to get behind the stadium

#3.  That money was pledged in the form of commitments to suites and major gifts. (pledged, which is then used as collateral for commercial paper)

#4.  Those commitments came in, then it was put to a vote by the SGA

YES THE STUDENT FEE WAS HUGE AND IT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT IT

But is was a collaborative effort based on long range planning which was 3 pronged

#1.  Build the athletic center

#2.  Purchase liberty christian campus for expansion of other sports and an academic center

#3.  (the big piece) build a stadium (explanation above)

I feel you are making fun of me and the other 12 to 15 people that underwrote the beginnings of the stadium when you say it was all on the SGA, and had nothing to do with anyone else.  If you want to direct your anger on wins and losses at the athletic director, if you want to say he is terrible at scheduling, I would say those things are quantifiable with all of us.  But don't argue that facilities are not accomplishments of his, because that is simply not true, and to me you sound just as stupid as you think I am for making the above statements.

And one other thing.  It's not about glory, it's about helping our university, and helping student athletes with the tools they need to succeed, and being proud of the institution that helped us along when we needed it.  I wish 100 people would come along and "steal some more glory", because the sum of the parts would be in a much better place.

You called my notion that the vote was the deciding factor "laughable" and then made my point with #3 & #4 in your presentation.  Yes, a lot of money was committed to the stadium by very dedicated people of means like yourself, but only if the vote happened and the increase was approved. If the vote went the other way, then the commitments would be moot.  And it was not RV that sold it to the students. I was the SGA......and their very competent President.

Let's leave it this way. I wasn't laughing at you and the other monied alums/friends of yours, anymore than you were being condescending in your initial response to me. 

Mack Brown lol,but Patterson was a d-bag and pissed off the donors. 

The noon Channel 8 news reports said that he pissed off people for raising ticket prices. I went HUH!? Since when did Texas administrators and alums object to Texas making more money? Then the follow up report said that in addition to the ticket prices going up, he took away free parking spaces for some of the doners.

THAT made sense.

• Upvote 1

Some day, we'll go have lunch with the dollar guacamole at Matador's in Denton, and I'll tell you the one thing I see that I think is responsible for the bulk of our woes.  It has never been mentioned on this board.  I think everybody is waaay off in their assessments and I think everybody is waaaaaaayy off on what they perceive the motivations of AD parties and their supporters to be.

But other than publicly acknowledging that our performance SUCKED on Saturday and has more or less SUCKED for 7/8ths of the time I've been watching, I'm not going to make any public personal attacks unless they involved the unwavering confidence of the Sultan of Southlake and the unruly behavior of certain parties personally connected therein.

I will, however, take umbrage with those who criticize me in taking joy from the mere experience of tailgating and club seating since I can take no joy in football, and I refuse to get as emotionally involved as I was during the truly dark days.  If I can't find some way to derive some modicum of enjoyment from this, then I start questioning why I spend so much money on it (a question my teenage daughter has already raised more than a few times).  But I do derive enjoyment from it as best I can, so I keep coming back, I keep paying up, and I generally keep a smile on my face.

Emmitt is right about one thing in particular -- this is my university.  It isn't Rick's university.  It isn't Mac's university.  It isn't Lee Jackson's university.  It's mine.  I'll be here long after all of those are gone.  If I've learned one valuable lesson in the corporate world, it's that sometimes when you can't beat the people above you, you distance yourself and simply outlast.  If the incompetence is truly there, they will collapse upon themselves in due time.

Book it. I am there.

• Upvote 1

The noon Channel 8 news reports said that he pissed off people for raising ticket prices. I went HUH!? Since when did Texas administrators and alums object to Texas making more money? Then the follow up report said that in addition to the ticket prices going up, he took away free parking spaces for some of the doners.

THAT made sense.

UNT grad here but I'm from Austin. Cousin and her husband are tenured professors at Texas. My dad bought their option for tickets from them for past few years. Basically we paid, for front row, seat backs, upper deck, north end zone, about $700 or 800 for TWO tickets, and free parking pass in a garage. And that included a $100 donation to Longhorn foundation as well, which you have to make to get good seats.  I think for this season the price was gonna be like $1200 PER TICKET to be in the same seats, plus a higher donation to Longhorn foundation and no parking pass. They gladly passed on that, because the product on the field is pretty pathetic for that price. 

Also, I think a banner flown over Apogee with Villarreal must go should be an option, seemed to work down in Austin. I'd be happy to fly it. 

• Upvote 3