Why Fire Mac?

meangreenbob

First of all, he never ever should have been hired to begin with and those responsible need to be held accountable. That's you RV. But its not Mac's overall loosing record as a head coach nor his failure at UNT after FIVE years that warrant his dismissal. No, its something much more serious than that. When a Head Coach places the friendship of a former Iowa teammate before the Alumni, season ticket holders, those who donate to the Mean Green Club, those that travel to away games, the students and the University and the actual program he was entrusted to protect and promote by not only rewarding a scholarship to someone, who I believe to be a great and outstanding young man, but one who lacks the talent and physical strength to play the QB position at most levels of college football and certainly at the D1 level then this coach has betrayed the very employer that hired him not to mention the fans and those that contribute financially to the program.

The very fact that after five years this head coach has not found a qualified D1 QB speaks volumes about his intentions from the very beginning. And that's why this Head Coach should be fired.

So how are you going to get the BOR to agree to buyout the remaining three years on his contract, beyond this one? Otherwise, this is just pissing in the wind.

And now that we know that RV has three years left on his contract at $375k per year, you can basically forget that, too.

Unless the BOR does a complete 180 on how they've looked at contracts in the past, which they haven't ever shown even an inkling of doing (see Tony Benford and Todd Dodge as recent examples), this is going nowhere. Even watching attendance drop by half or more at the Super Pit for mens basketball games literally didn't even register with the BOR to do something other than let Benford get to that penultimate 4th year of his 5 year contract. Then, and ONLY THEN, will UNT buyout a contract. IOW, McCareny ain't going anywhere until the end of the 2016 season, but much more probable is that he won't get relieved of his duties until the 2017 football season, which is, you guessed it, the 4th year of his 5-year contract. Expecting anything different here from the BOR and administration is insane...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

So how are you going to get the BOR to agree to buyout the remaining three years on his contract, beyond this one? Otherwise, this is just pissing in the wind.

And now that we know that RV has three years left on his contract at $37k per year, you can basically forget that, too.

Unless the BOR does a complete 180 on how they've looked at contracts in the past, which they haven't ever shown even an inkling of doing (see Tony Benford and Todd Dodge as recent examples), this is going nowhere. Even watching attendance drop by half or more at the Super Pit for mens basketball games literally didn't even register with the BOR to do something other than let Benford get to that penultimate 4th year of his 5 year contract. Then, and ONLY THEN, will UNT buyout a contract. IOW, McCareny ain't going anywhere until the end of the 2016 season, but much more probable is that he won't get relieved of his duties until the 2017 football season, which is, you guessed it, the 4th year of his 5-year contract. Expecting anything different here from the BOR and administration is insane...

If the President and BOR won't remove these two individuals then we can always pray that if these two gentlemen still have a conscience they will resign on their own.

And for the record..................................................I honestly believe that Mac put playing his friends son at Tulsa, when Thompson  was hurt, over trying to actually win the game by playing the more experienced and talented quarterback in Osborn. Macnulty threw TWO picks for 12 points early in the contest and was still in at QB late and when the game was way out of reach.  Again another example of how this man has betrayed the UNT faithful. Most of the UNT faithful are really naïve.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'm not naive. It's quite apparent where Andrew McNulty would be if it wasn't for Dan McCarney. He'd be playing at some DIII college in Iowa or not playing at all. Dan Mccarney is a bad coach, plain and simple. And for the pro Mccarney people on here, I've been saying this for years now. 2013 was an accident that I wasn't then sure and am still not sure how it happened. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not naive. It's quite apparent where Andrew McNulty would be if it wasn't for Dan McCarney. He'd be playing at some DIII college in Iowa or not playing at all. Dan Mccarney is a bad coach, plain and simple. And for the pro Mccarney people on here, I've been saying this for years now. 2013 was an accident that I wasn't then sure and am still not sure how it happened. 

Here's how it happened. Those same kids that McCarney publicly bad mouthed his first year as being too small, too slow, not athletic enough not only proved him wrong but also made him look weak when he publicly cried that UNT was a difficult place to recruit to. Yeah, maybe for someone like McCarney. I think Mac would make a great barker on the Midway at the State Fair.

Its been my experience that $$$$$ > conscience...

To resign would mean giving up a guaranteed $2 million for Dan McCarney at a bare minimum and $750k for RV.

The reality here is that known costs > winning to those in charge at UNT.

But like I said, if they have any conscience left. Neither of these individuals deserve or deserved the kind of pay they are receiving based on their performance. We were ripped off big time. Their salaries were increased and their contracts extended in such a way that one should question the integrity and ethics of all those involved.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Do you actually believe that McCarney would jeopardize his job and team due to favoritism?  I don't and I am certainly not defending McCarney or McNulty.  I believe he thought McNulty was the best choice to lead this team and he is not going to change that opinion based on one game, if there are no other QB's that have shown they are remotely ready. 

The crime is not playing McNulty, it is not having recruited and /or developed a capable QB.   

More ineffective play from McNulty will get other QB's on the field.  The point now is, do you go with your most consistent performer last year and through off-season and hope that he gets better or give another QB a chance.  

I believe McNulty will start, but if he can't move the team consistency than others will see the field.  Hopefully McNulty will improve or a newcomer will move up that is better.  I just think it is ludicrous to believe that McCarney is going to sabotage his career and his team chances to win because he is knowingly starting a QB with better options on the bench. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Do you actually believe that McCarney would jeopardize his job and team due to favoritism?  I don't and I am certainly not defending McCarney or McNulty.  I believe he thought McNulty was the best choice to lead this team and he is not going to change that opinion based on one game, if there are no other QB's that have shown they are remotely ready. 

The crime is not playing McNulty, it is not having recruited and /or developed a capable QB.   

More ineffective play from McNulty will get other QB's on the field.  The point now is, do you go with your most consistent performer last year and through off-season and hope that he gets better or give another QB a chance.  

I believe McNulty will start, but if he can't move the team consistency than others will see the field.  Hopefully McNulty will improve or a newcomer will move up that is better.  I just think it is ludicrous to believe that McCarney is going to sabotage his career and his team chances to win because he is knowingly starting a QB with better options on the bench. 

Do I believe Mac would call his friend in Iowa and tell him to come on down to Tulsa because he would play his son in the place of the injured Thompson. ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Do I believe Mac gave a flying sh_t what anyone thought? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Do you actually believe that McCarney would jeopardize his job and team due to favoritism?  I don't and I am certainly not defending McCarney or McNulty. 

Yes, McNulty is like the MaCarney's son at this point. In his mind, I don't think he feels he's jeopardizing his job too. I think he will jeopardize his job based on his stubbornness. The guy would drive a ship with a hole taking in water after being warned it was a sinking ship, and admit that the ship is just fine. But like UNTjim1995 said, he won't be gone until 2017. It's gotten to the point that Coach Mac is insulting the fans with his stubborn mentality.

• Upvote 2

Dan McCarney's career is over and he knows it. After North Texas finally cuts ties with him he's done. So more to your point, I think he's going to do whatever he wants to. And he badly wants to see Andrew McNulty succeed for whatever reason. Even if his lack of success is a detriment to this team which it apparently has been whenever he has walked onto the field. 

Maybe we should shine light on other serious matters like irresponsible consumption of adult beverages.  0_o 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dan McCarney's career is over and he knows it. After North Texas finally cuts ties with him he's done. So more to your point, I think he's going to do whatever he wants to. And he badly wants to see Andrew McNulty succeed for whatever reason. Even if his lack of success is a detriment to this team which it apparently has been whenever he has walked onto the field. 

Maybe we should shine light on other serious matters like irresponsible consumption of adult beverages.  0_o 

After following UNT Athletics for the past 45 years I would like nothing more than to see McNulty succeed big time. And that goes for Mac as well. It's my school and I love my school. But I'm sick and tired of the excuses, the failure, the mediocrity and the incompetence from those entrusted with elevating the image and success of our school. I'm sick and tired of seeing incompetence and failure being rewarded with hefty pay raises and extended contracts.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I am with "meangreenbob" on this one as it pertains to Coach Mac. I have followed our football program since my freshman  year of 1961, and this is the most frustrated that I have ever been. I had a successful medical device distributorship for 30 years, and I assure you that if I had missed my sales numbers 4 out of 5 years I would of been selling salve door to door. His inability to successfully recruit has led us to where we are today. The only bright note that came out of our loss to SMU is that we were shown what a young coach with strong Texas high school ties can do in his 1st year.If we don't have a winning season this year then we must make a coaching change. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 6

I suspect he'll still be here next fall even if we go 0-12 with McNulty at the helm, but I know for sure that I won't be in the stands. Rice and Portland are most likely my last two games this year unless changes are made. Well, I might come back and picket with a "Just Say No To Nepotism" sign or something along those lines.

• Upvote 2

First of all, he never ever should have been hired to begin with and those responsible need to be held accountable. That's you RV. But its not Mac's overall loosing record as a head coach nor his failure at UNT after FIVE years that warrant his dismissal. No, its something much more serious than that. When a Head Coach places the friendship of a former Iowa teammate before the Alumni, season ticket holders, those who donate to the Mean Green Club, those that travel to away games, the students and the University and the actual program he was entrusted to protect and promote by not only rewarding a scholarship to someone, who I believe to be a great and outstanding young man, but one who lacks the talent and physical strength to play the QB position at most levels of college football and certainly at the D1 level then this coach has betrayed the very employer that hired him not to mention the fans and those that contribute financially to the program.

The very fact that after five years this head coach has not found a qualified D1 QB speaks volumes about his intentions from the very beginning. And that's why this Head Coach should be fired.

Mac led us to the best season we have had in a long time 9-4 and the best bowl showing in the modern era.  That was in 2014 - not that long ago.

So it's not as easy as saying you can fire a coach after one game.  You have to let this stuff play out.  I am with you it doesn't look promising -- but I will be there Saturday.

Mac led us to the best season we have had in a long time 9-4 and the best bowl showing in the modern era.  That was in 2014 - not that long ago.

So it's not as easy as saying you can fire a coach after one game.  You have to let this stuff play out.  I am with you it doesn't look promising -- but I will be there Saturday.

Well it's really not about just one game. Its about five years. It's also about more than just the winning as well. Its pretty obvious also that 2013 was an anomaly and was accomplished with OGR's. Other guys recruits. And like you I'll be there Saturday. LW (Lord Willing) And I had similar thoughts go through my mind when we ran three straight running plays up the middle after recovering the fumble off their punter. The first thing I said was that even our Head Coach doesn't believe in McNulty enough to trust him throwing the ball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm always going to cheer for this team but I don't think our head coach really cares anymore. You can't play that kid at QB and have an expectation of victory. Personal relationships don't matter either. You have to play the players who will win.

I thought he was a great coach up until he complained about how hard recruiting is here. Really? Tell that to a coach in El Paso or some other hard sell of a town. It was also disrespectfull to every player on that roster and their parents. Totally classless. It's also totally unprofessional to not give D Smith a shot when everyone knows we will lose in our current situation. 

• Upvote 6

I can understand that Mac and probably the other coaches feel that Smith isn't ready to start yet. Smith hasn't been on campus very long. But, Mac never should have let our program get in this position in the first place. He admitted at the end of last season that we didn't get enough production from our QB, but yet he allowed us to head into this season with the same problem.

Tonight's radio show was terrible. Mac managed to blame RBs and WRs but said nothing about the turnovers by our QB. He really didn't address the offense at all. He found time to discuss Lance having a good game last night, and his days back in Iowa, but not our problems with the offense. I was like a filibuster. No questions from the audience.

I lost some respect for Mac tonight.

• Upvote 4

how would you feel if we win 2 or less games this year? 

Personally, I think the first change that needs to be made is at AD. Let the new AD decide whether or not to keep Mac. 

Remember, if Mac is fired without an AD change, RV will again be making the next hire.

History tells us that would be a disaster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1