Tips to attending and enjoying a home UNT game?

DukeNukem

Hey all.  I am looking to go to the game this weekend and attend my first UNT football game.  I am in graduate school at UNT (undergrad from Baylor) and am excited about supporting the Mean Green.  

I am open to any and all suggestions and tips on how to really take in the gameday experience at Apogee, including best place to secure tickets (I assume StubHub at this point?).

Thanks in advance.

See y'all Saturday. 

Edited by DukeNukem
  • Upvote 5

Hey all.  I am looking to go to the game this weekend at attend my first UNT football game.  I am in graduate school at UNT (undergrad from Baylor) and am excited about supporting the Mean Green.  

I am open to any and all suggestions and tips on how to really take in the gameday experience at Apogee, including best place to secure tickets (I assume StubHub at this point?).

Thanks in advance.

See y'all Saturday. 

Welcome. After last night...uhhh...I doubt the game experience will be one to note. 

But the tailgating is good at UNT. Good people. You can get tickets on campus during the week at the ticket booth around campus, usually at the library mall. If you don't catch the ticket booth you can get tix at Apogee Saturday. Fair warning, expect a half empty to 2/3 (at best) stadium vs Rice. I think the loss to SMwho last night let a lot of wind out the sail. But, nevertheless, welcome. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey all.  I am looking to go to the game this weekend at attend my first UNT football game.  I am in graduate school at UNT (undergrad from Baylor) and am excited about supporting the Mean Green.  

Thanks in advance

See y'all Saturday. 

First off... Boo Baylor! Sorry, I got my masters at TCU. I couldn't help myself.

Now to answer your question... Get there plenty early and walk around the hill. There is always plenty going on, and some great food. Ben is right and the crowd will most likely be small due to the loss to the one we do not speak of (SMU). Make sure to get some Beth Marie's and check out the stadium store on the alumni side. Great stuff there to buy for game day. UNT is full of great folks. What are you studying?

Edited by North Texas Shep

First off... Boo Baylor! Sorry, I got my masters at TCU. I couldn't help myself.

Now to answer your question... Get there plenty early and walk around the hill. There is always plenty going on, and some great food. Ben is right and the crowd will most likely be small due to the loss to the one we do not speak of (SMU). Make sure to get some Beth Marie's and check out the stadium store on the alumni side. Great stuff there to buy for game day. UNT is full of great folks. What are you studying?

Masters from TCU eh?  Has Gary called you yet to see if you can play LB?  

I am getting my Masters in Education and doing the accelerated program so it is a lot of distance learning, not on campus a whole lot so as far as getting a student ticket (do they give those to graduate students?) I don't think I could get one.  

I am also planning on bringing my 4 year old son with me.  He loves going to games with his very first football game being that doozy in Waco when RG3 lit up the frogs (ok, i'll stop now). 

Not gonna lie, I don't know much about the program and am brushing up on it.  I am familiar with Chad Morris at smu because A) he was who I wanted if Baylor lost Briles and B) I coached high school football in the area and when he got hired he recruited a few of my players.  With that being said, I don't know what UNT's expectations were this year, I think CM is gonna do a good job there and then bounce (aggy if Sumlin leaves?).

Thanks for all the tips.  Still looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

I think CM is gonna do a good job there and then bounce (aggy if Sumlin leaves?).

Whatevs.

Everyone knows that Aggie fans are about fed up with that new fangled forward pass thing the Sumlin keeps doing. He is on borrowed time down there.

I think it's pretty obvious that when Sumlin gets shown the door and they decide to play a man's man style of offense football again, the obvious choice is Dan McCarney.

I hear they are even going to change "gig 'em" to "run 'em" 

Edited by UNT90

I am also planning on bringing my 4 year old son with me.  He loves going to games with his very first football game being that doozy in Waco when RG3 lit up the frogs (ok, i'll stop now). 

I started grad school at UNT back in 2008.  My daughter was 7 at the time.  There's all kinds of kids activities scattered about -- face paint, bounce houses, etc outside the stadium.  Most of the organization table/booth things will have something they'll give away that kids love.

Inside the stadium, the frozen lemonade and kettle corn (korn?)  are always kid favorites.  

Keep your son away from the student section.  They're not too accommodating to young children, so even if you're getting admission for yourself via the free student ticket, I would advise moving over maybe to the wing zone so your son won't feel overwhelmed.

My daughter is 14 now.  She should be there Saturday with me, eating cheesecake, and spitting crumbs on @THOR.

Get ready for years upon seemingly endless years of shitty, inept, never winning season football.  Numb yourself in whatever way you need to.  Then appreciate the game day atmosphere and the overall experience.  It's really pretty great, and the people are generally ok, @UNT90 notwithstanding.  Watch out for that guy.  He'll probably try to get your son drunk and then send him over to yell at RV.  Make a point of finding @KingDL1 so that you can sample Tony's balls.  No.  Really.  Do it.  You'll also meet @Harry there, but unfortunately, you'll also run into @UNT90.  Did I mention you should watch out for that guy?

• Upvote 2

There are several posters on here who hold great tailgates and welcome newcomers.   Hanging out with people at the tailgate is a great way to make friends.  The team looks shaky this year so just go in with the proper expectations and enjoy what you can enjoy.

WARNING:  Starting this might turn you into a Mean Green Diehard, and that is very bad for your mental well being.  Yes, there are times when that is great, but there are also plenty of times when you wake up on Sunday morning like this:

aFMCxyo.jpg

• Upvote 6

@Harris Miers.   You should do a mass +1 for everyone who has posted here.  Some really funny stuff.

I can see that the numbing pain of that SMU loss is beginning to wear off some folks.

or we just really really really like to tailgate...that's the best part of the day for many...shoot the breeze with folks, consume liquids, just chill and hangout...we are lucky to have apogee tailgating!

• Upvote 2

Duke, here is another voice warning you that the Mean Green thing can get to be addictive if you aren't careful. I earned a BBA elsewhere, then attended a few games casually in the 70s. Circa 1985 I became a graduate student and couldn't pass up using my student ID to attend regularly (finance people always look for value) and I've been around ever since. Look what it led to!

Be prepared to change your life.

• Upvote 2

@DukeNukem If you park at Fouts (I think it's $10), you can take the walking bridge over 35 and walk over to the hill (the tailgating area).

Come early (1:30pm kickoff), look for the dudes in green, brings some chairs, and bring beer to share.

There might be some bounce houses. For the kid, I mean, but can someone confirm?

My kid will have to skip their nap for this one.

• Upvote 1

First off welcome to the board!  Sorry for some of our grumpiness but we are all still hurting from the loss at SMU. 

For a map of the tailgating areas and some of our tailgating groups check out this thread here.

If you want to experience the downtown square (which is booming) and shuttle to the game there is some shuttle info here.

With the Rice game starting so early, you will not see our typical big tailgating as we have on the 6pm games.  It is still good but not as good.

Tailgating also can depend on where you have a parking pass.  My group is located over by Victory Hall but there are some who have a great time over at Fouts which is a pay lot.   There is also some good action over on the west pay lot and north side (reserved) as well.  Glad you are coming!  GMG

Hey, I can handle miserable football, after all I was at Baylor when Guy Morriss was our coach.  You know, the guy who got his ass kicked by the Mean Green.  I lived lean football years.  Maybe some good Karma can head up to UNT.  

I am always down for some good tailgating and cold beer.  

The little one will love the bounce houses and I will definitely avoid the student section as I was once part of a student section and still feel bad for stuff I supposedly said.  

• Upvote 1

Hey, I can handle miserable football, after all I was at Baylor when Guy Morriss was our coach.  You know, the guy who got his ass kicked by the Mean Green.  I lived lean football years.  Maybe some good Karma can head up to UNT.  

I am always down for some good tailgating and cold beer.  

The little one will love the bounce houses and I will definitely avoid the student section as I was once part of a student section and still feel bad for stuff I supposedly said.  

You did have a pretty terrible mouth when I played your game back in the 90's.