2015 UNT Captains Announced

Harry

Wallace is certainly vocal, but I did not think he was doing enough on the field to back this up.   Maybe Cosh's system is going to work for him.   Worked for Khalil Mack.
Bean was the scout team POY last season.
I'm kinda with Adman on the Buyers omission.  Odd.

Proud of my adopted boy Marcus Smith.  Hoping for a big year from him.

As for McNulty... I guess I'm on board.  We've seen what happens before when the players don't have confidence in their QB (DT in 2013).  The fact that the players would rather have him as a captain says alot about their belief in him.

I'm not sure Buyers is as clear cut a starter as you guys think. I am sure he will start but it was a close competition with some young guys.

I think he'll start, but I also think he is on a short leash and as he should be to be honest. Vs a spread team where he doesn't have consistent over the top support he's a liability in coverage. Just the way it is. 

• Upvote 1

I think he'll start, but I also think he is on a short leash and as he should be to be honest. Vs a spread team where he doesn't have consistent over the top support he's a liability in coverage. Just the way it is. 

but outside of Marshall, I would say there's not a better CB against the run.  And definitely not against the bubble screens which we'll be seeing alot of, I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

but outside of Marshall, I would say there's not a better CB against the run.  And definitely not against the bubble screens which we'll be seeing alot of, I'm sure.

yeah, you're right. So it's a decision to make. Have a weak link in our pass defense or a weak link in our perimeter run defense. But at the same time who's to say Chad Davis or Preston Ashton or Nate Brooks or one of the twins can't cover better and be at least respectable vs the run? 

If your corners are making that many tackles vs the Run...you are screwed anyway. 

• Upvote 1

If your corners are making that many tackles vs the Run...you are screwed anyway. 

not when they're running it wide to his side.  He is quick to shed the WR blocking him and getting to the ball.

yeah, you're right. So it's a decision to make. Have a weak link in our pass defense or a weak link in our perimeter run defense. But at the same time who's to say Chad Davis or Preston Ashton or Nate Brooks or one of the twins can't cover better and be at least respectable vs the run? 

Possible.   I think he plays well when he can keep his man in front of him.  His problem is playing press with little safety help over the top.  

Of course, if Cosh's system plays more press man like that, then Buyers is screwed and may not see much of the field.

Blake Bean and Anthony Wallace - SHOCKED

Andrew McNulty  - Surprising - (Does this mean they're riding this horse all the way to the end?)

Marcus Smith - Most saw it coming. 

So what's up with Kenny Buyers? Team Captain last year. Set to be a starter this year and yet no captain? Something is up.  

see performance @ UAB

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The dude went tandem with Marcus Smith (captain) to CUSA media days and isn't elected a second year captain. Seems really really weird to me. 

Yeah, but at that CUSA media day, they talked about how there was a lack of leadership from the players last year. Buyers acknowledged he should have done a better job. So as its been said - hopefully it is simply a matter of the other guys really stepping up. I'm sure that would be something Buyers would support.  As a 3rd year starter, everyone knows he is a leader anyhow. Maybe not the most vocal leader is all.