What if.....

H-towngreen

It's the week before one of my favorite days of the year....College Football Kickoff!! I'm sitting here thinking to myself and came up with a "what if"

What if Dodge would have brought on a staff full of experienced coaches instead of bringing along his HS staff. Do you think things may have turned out different?

I lean towards yes. I like the original hire. It was a gamble no doubt but at a school like UNT you need to take a gamble every once in a while. With proper coaches around him I think that he could have been a Gus Malzahn type. Dodge knows how to put points on the board. We've all sat here for the last few years and talked about how Mac was winning bc of Dodges recruiting.

• Upvote 5

I sat at Rice Stadium on September 20, 2008 and watched our beloved UNT Mean Green get beat 77-20. I had a Rice fan look at me and honestly say "don't worry buddy, we have been there." A nice sentiment, but you don't get beaten like that by Rice. Dodge was a mistake. But for the what if game, what if we had an AD who believed in UNT with passion and didn't see the football program as a business. Who wanted to break the chains of mediocrity. Who sees the inclusion into Conference USA as a stepping stone, not the destination.

• Upvote 5

I sat at Rice Stadium on September 20, 2008 and watched our beloved UNT Mean Green get beat 77-20. I had a Rice fan look at me and honestly say "don't worry buddy, we have been there." A nice sentiment, but you don't get beaten like that by Rice. Dodge was a mistake. But for the what if game, what if we had an AD who believed in UNT with passion and didn't see the football program as a business. Who wanted to break the chains of mediocrity. Who sees the inclusion into Conference USA as a stepping stone, not the destination.

This part should be the expectation, not a hoping dream. We are getting ran like a mom n' pop pizza joint. It's truly amazing that this man is still employed at North Texas. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Dodge and Dickey were not good coaches but both had moderate success recruiting. Mac is a good coach but a lousy recruiter. WHAT IF we found someone that could do both? 

My lowest point as a Mean Green fan.  They could have put a 100 on us if they wanted. 

Can I turn of the "merged replies" feature? 

• Upvote 4

Dodge and Dickey were not good coaches but both had moderate success recruiting.

Dickey has out recruited everyone, it's not even close.

Dickey had four years in which he was able to land a DaMN State Top 100, a total of 11 of them.

Dodge recruited one, his son Riley.

Mac has recruited one, Tee Goree.

Simon recruited two in one year, but only one made it to campus.

• Upvote 5

What if you had a Dodge offence and a Dckey defence?

What if Dodge had kept Dickey and his defensive staff with Dickey as the DC?

Would we be talking about what a great hire that was? 

You must not have been around when Dickey was fired.   Also, Dickey is an offensive guy.   We brought Dickey's DC back under Dodge, and it was awful.

• Upvote 2

Here's mine:

What if we had beaten Memphis in the 2003 NO Bowl, which would have finished off a 10-3 season, including an absolute destruction of Baylor, and a 31 point loss to an OU team that lost in the national championship game and had beaten Texas 65-13 and A&M 77-0? I am fairly certain we would have ended the season ranked and Dickey would've gotten hired away, like he believed he would.

I'd like to think that we could've made a good hire for the program, as well as to get the funding for a new stadium going in this scenario, but then I think about the realities of the situation, even if we had won and finished ranked, and I still cannot imagine either of those things occurring.

• Upvote 2

Dodge and Dickey were not good coaches but both had moderate success recruiting. Mac is a good coach but a lousy recruiter. WHAT IF we found someone that could do both? 

My lowest point as a Mean Green fan.  They could have put a 100 on us if they wanted. 

Can I turn of the "merged replies" feature? 

Yes, this was the low point as being a FBS program. Freaking SWC cellar-dweller Rice beat us in a game where they just literally stop trying in the 4th quarter--not part of the 4th quarter or most if, but all of it...

If Bailiff had wanted to be a total ass, Rice would have scored somewhere between 98 and 105 points, even with their backups that day. It was a bitter pill to swallow, as we knew then that the Dodge experiment was absolutely, almost frighteningly, not working. When he went 2-10 in his third year, I thought for sure that his days as our head coach were done. To save $300k, we brought him back instead, so he could get another 1 win and 6 losses under his belt before getting canned...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

clearly you don't remember AD's before RV. 

Back to the original question. I think Dodge has football smarts and is a good evaluator of talent. 2 fatal flaws though. He was loyal to his HS coaches & he was loyal (biased) toward his son. Yeah, he should have handled things differently. But he didn't. That's on him. I like him, but he screwed up. 

clearly you don't remember AD's before RV. 

Back to the original question. I think Dodge has football smarts and is a good evaluator of talent. 2 fatal flaws though. He was loyal to his HS coaches & he was loyal (biased) toward his son. Yeah, he should have handled things differently. But he didn't. That's on him. I like him, but he screwed up. 

Lots of nice/loyal guys aren't cut out to be FBS coaches. Dodge is one of them. Being nice isn't a prerequisite. Nick Saban is a hell of a coach. Haven't heard many people say he is a nice/loyal guy.