We made national news!

Considering UNT is a heavily liberal university and used to be even more so, sure about that?

This is continuing to be thrown around, but it's much more perception than reality I think. At the end of the day I think you'll find the political make up of the NT student body is pretty much the same as all the other big state universities. I highly doubt liberals are specifically seeking out NT and neither are conservatives.

• Upvote 4

This is continuing to be thrown around, but it's much more perception than reality I think. At the end of the day I think you'll find the political make up of the NT student body is pretty much the same as all the other big state universities. I highly doubt liberals are specifically seeking out NT and neither are conservatives.

So spot on but the libs on this board will NEVER admit it. The business and engineering departments dwarf all the liberal arts departments. UNT isn't as liberal as some want to perceive and that is definitely a good thing. But like with most topics, the loud mouth minority stir up the most shit. If you don't believe me, go check out the business building, not a single building in the music department even remotely compares and they will never build one that does.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I'm sure UNTexas wouldn't have a problem if Bill Maher was asked to speak.

I didn't know Bill Maher was governor...

Of anything...

Inviting Bill Maher is akin to inviting Rush Limbaugh. Wouldn't care for either one.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Any and all Governors really. Here I was talking about Abbott though.

Ok, well, Abbott is very popular here in Texas and he won his governor's race by double digits in blowout fashion. And I work with 7 alumns, at my own station and they thought it was badass that the university got him to do the address. Then there's the countless other alumns from every school in the state I work with and speak with on a weekly basis, and everyone thought it was badass that our school got him to come, even three folks who didn't vote for him. So my thinking is, it's quite a majority who do give an F and approve of him doing the address?

It's either that or I live under a huge rock with a lot of other people?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ok, well, Abbott is very popular here in Texas and he won his governor's race by double digits in blowout fashion. And I work with 7 alumns, at my own station and they thought it was badass that the university got him to do the address. Then there's the countless other alumns from every school in the state I work with and speak with on a weekly basis, and everyone thought it was badass that our school got him to come, even three folks who didn't vote for him. So my thinking is, it's quite a majority who do give an F and approve of him doing the address?

It's either that or I live under a huge rock with a lot of other people?

Rick

Jerry Brown won in blowout fashion too, but I don't think anyone would really care if he spoke at UCLA's commencement.

I'm talking about the folks who are actually likely to be there....e.g. the kids graduating and the parents of said students. Most alumni do not go to graduation ceremonies. The loved ones of the graduates do, and they want to cheer for their kids.

• Upvote 1

Most "adults in the workplace" will see it for exactly what it is....college students being college students and will blow it off as just that. It is in no way embarrassing to any any "adult" with any inkling of understanding of what it is...unless, of course, one just looks for such "embarrassment" and buys into the possibility. It is not the first, nor will it be the last, university that makes the news because some students didn't like the choice of commencement speakers. Happens pretty much every year. No biggie...not in any way embarrassing to the university in question. Now, if students then make public spectacles and fools of themselves at the commence the address, well, that could be a tad embarrassing.....for the students in question that is.

Hold on. You always preach "criticize in private" around here. These students are criticizing a university decision in a very big and public way, a way that made national news and in a much bigger forum that the "haters" do around here. You're quick to call out the haters here in this small bubble, yet you just blow off these students criticizing the university in a way that made national news?

Why the double standard?

• Upvote 3

Jerry Brown won in blowout fashion too, but I don't think anyone would really care if he spoke at UCLA's commencement.

I'm talking about the folks who are actually likely to be there....e.g. the kids graduating and the parents of said students. Most alumni do not go to graduation ceremonies. The loved ones of the graduates do, and they want to cheer for their kids.

So if someone's kid was graduating, and the someone was attending, and some random person (grandparents, neighbors, friends) asked them about it or brought it up in conversation you don't think "...and The Govornor of Texas Is Giving The Commencement Speech" would come up? That's interesting and I disagree.

A couple of folks from those I have talked about it to are actually thinking of attending. And I am also. It's a big deal to have the Govornor, especially the Govornor of one of the greatest States in the country, to come to your school and speak. It's an even bigger deal to get him/her for commencement.

It's a shame and I feel sorry for the small contingent of thumb-sucking, curl-up-in-a-fetal-position crybabies that have resorted to this sort of tactic to the point that it's on national news. It's as if they missed the college education thing entirely. Thank goodness they won't get their way.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So if someone's kid was graduating, and the someone was attending, and some random person (grandparents, neighbors, friends) asked them about it or brought it up in conversation you don't think "...and The Govornor of Texas Is Giving The Commencement Speech" would come up? That's interesting and I disagree.

A couple of folks from those I have talked about it to are actually thinking of attending. And I am also. It's a big deal to have the Govornor, especially the Govornor of one of the greatest States in the country, to come to your school and speak. It's an even bigger deal to get him/her for commencement.

It's a shame and I feel sorry for the small contingent of thumb-sucking, curl-up-in-a-fetal-position crybabies that have resorted to this sort of tactic to the point that it's on national news. It's as if they missed the college education thing entirely. Thank goodness they won't get their way.

Rick

which is what, exactly? fall in line, ignore your principles and don't question anything?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Hold on. You always preach "criticize in private" around here. These students are criticizing a university decision in a very big and public way, a way that made national news and in a much bigger forum that the "haters" do around here. You're quick to call out the haters here in this small bubble, yet you just blow off these students criticizing the university in a way that made national news?

Why the double standard?

Man, you are really reaching in your attempt to be a complete tool here, but not surprising that you can't grasp the meaning of the post. No where did I say I approved of the actions regarding their public criticism of UNT. I said the "adults" would understand and not be embarrassed because it is what college kids do. It is about "adults" and their reactions. But, I guess only the adults here could grasp that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gentleman, this has become nothing but a chest beating, insult ridden post. Bottom line is, Gov. Abbott IS going to be the commencement speaker which in the big scheme of things, is a good thing for the university. Not everyone agrees with his politics, but guess what? He doesn't agree with the protesters who will boycott his speech. That's just the way of the world. I believe the key here is to ALLOW our differences, even though we disagree. Not everyone is going to agree with everything. Most people love chocolate, but some prefer vanilla. We can agree to disagree.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

News out of that 2-bit Johns Hopkins University:

http://news.yahoo.com/no-mor-chikin-johns-hopkins-students-ban-chick-232634775.html

The students of Johns Hopkins University have a message for Chick-fil-A: No, thank you.

The university’s Student Government Association approved a resolution this week saying that university officials should pick “other non-discriminatory options” and rule out any “current and future Chick-fil-A development plans” if searching for new dining vendors on campus.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Pfft. Don't you understand? The mark of a good university, university being a term to mean "universal," or "learning about everything," is for its entire student population to toe the line, graduate, and go on to be never questioning little worker bees.

• Upvote 3

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried” – Stephen McCranie

Nobody has to agree with what students do. Most of us would agree that even if we agree with some aspect of their sentiment, we believe they could go about things in a better manner. I choose to look at situations like this as future masters failing today.

Can someone explain the popularization of the term 'leftist'? Is it just something that's repeated daily on Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush, etc as an insult?

In the context used in this thread, it would hail back to the McCarthy days, synonymous with Un-American.

See HUAC, The Hollywood 10, McCarthyism, Academic Loyalty Oaths, The Pumpkin Papers, The Red Scare, and maybe give This Book a looksie.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1