If You Were the Head Coach, Who Would be Your Starting UNT QB?

We have plenty of people to send in signals. There is no need for Mac to require a pissed off player to send in signals that may not even be sent in properly because that player is pissed off. It is just asking for problems. Let him go cool off, regroup, and then come give signals. You must not deal with hot-tempered or emotional people much.

Captain of my soccer team, if that counts.

• Upvote 1

Adman, if I had put my heart into leading my teammates to victory and then let them down because of my mistakes, I would probably refuse to send in signals as well. Football is an emotional game and you should have a clear head if you are sending in the signals and I doubt very seriously Williams had a clear head after getting benched for his terrible play that game.

No player wants to play with a teammate who would do that.

• Upvote 4

Protecting AM is nonsense. And I don't think it's so much about knowing the playbook as it is the other things that DW seemingly has failed to do. You can't let a kid dictate what he will or will not do no matter if he is the second coming of Tom Brady. You do that and you quickly risk anarchy within your team. As an example there was a game last season in which DW refused to wear a headset during the second half and send in signals. Refused. I can't imagine any coach rewarding that kind of behavior no matter how good a player is.

When coaches talk about maturity etc it's things such as the above that I think they are talking about. And until DW buys in completely Id wager his role is limited.

I agree 100% with your post, but you're shouting into a wind tunnel.

• Upvote 2

So, if I were HC and considering where the team is regarding the QB position, here is exactly what I would do....

I would request that Mr. Williams report to my office for a little one on one chat. I would clearly explain to him how I felt that he was clearly the most athletically gifted QB currently on the roster and the QB with the most upside. I would then clearly and slowly explain how very disappointed I was in his commitment to getting better and being committed to being number one. I would outline what I expected him to accomplish between now and the start of fall practice including off season work outs, film study, playbook study, etc., etc. I would then explain that the starting job would be wide open if he accomplishes the established off-season goals.

Then...I would clearly explain to him that if he should decide not to do all he could to reach those goals that I would not be renewing his scholarship and that I would be happy to assist him in finding a new team and college for which to play. Because if he was not willing to do what it takes to be number one that there is no place on the roster for him or anyone with the same attitude/perspective. I would explain that having potential is worthless if it is not realized and that right now all he is is "potential".

I would offer any help that he feels he might need to develop that potential, but I would also make it perfectly clear that this was on him and that no other person was responsible for his attitude and "want to".

In closing I would explain that this was his last opportunity and it was his to either accept and succeed or continue on his same path and be playing elsewhere.

That's it. Very frustrating to have such wasted potential, but there is still time. So, if I am head coach, that is exactly what I would do. And, I would hope he accepts the challenge to be number one. If not UNT would have an open scholarship available to use on someone who does want to do all it takes to be successful. And, I wouldn't look back. Cannot waste time or scholarships on "potential" unrealized.

Unless, Dajon takes the hint or Mr. Smith is indeed the real deal come fall, I would be starting Little Mac with Connor Means waiting in the wings.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

So, if I were HC and considering where the team is regarding the QB position, here is exactly what I would do....

I would request that Mr. Williams report to my office for a little one on one chat. I would clearly explain to him how I felt that he was clearly the most athletically gifted QB currently on the roster and the QB with the most upside. I would then clearly and slowly explain how very disappointed I was in his commitment to getting better and being committed to being number one. I would outline what I expected him to accomplish between now and the start of fall practice including off season work outs, film study, playbook study, etc., etc. I would then explain that the starting job would be wide open if he accomplishes the established off-season goals.

Then...I would clearly explain to him that if he should decide not to do all he could to reach those goals that I would not be renewing his scholarship and that I would be happy to assist him in finding a new team and college for which to play. Because if he was not willing to do what it takes to be number one that there is no place on the roster for him or anyone with the same attitude/perspective. I would explain that having potential is worthless if it is not realized and that right now all he is is "potential".

I would offer any help that he feels he might need to develop that potential, but I would also make it perfectly clear that this was on him and that no other person was responsible for his attitude and "want to".

In closing I would explain that this was his last opportunity and it was his to either accept and succeed or continue on his same path and be playing elsewhere.

That's it. Very frustrating to have such wasted potential, but there is still time. So, if I am head coach, that is exactly what I would do. And, I would hope he accepts the challenge to be number one. If not UNT would have an open scholarship available to use on someone who does want to do all it takes to be successful. And, I wouldn't look back. Cannot waste time or scholarships on "potential" unrealized.

Unless, Dajon takes the hint or Mr. Smith is indeed the real deal come fall, I would be starting Little Mac with Connor Means waiting in the wings.

I don't necessarily disagree here, but realize if you do this and you have to start either of those 2, a record of 3-9 is staring you in the face.

If DW disobeyed a coach and refused to do the job the team demanded (wear headsets and send in plays), he should have been suspended immediately. I have a hard time believing that this happened. If it did, we have a far bigger problem on this team than a QB problem.

• Upvote 4

What has DaJon done lately other than do what is asked of him. At what point do we let him escape the past and forgive? I thought he had a good Spring. You guys need to let things go. These are 18-19 year old kids and they make mistakes.

What has DaJon done lately other than do what is asked of him. At what point do we let him escape the past and forgive? I thought he had a good Spring. You guys need to let things go. These are 18-19 year old kids and they make mistakes.

Not our fault. When you have one QB that is clearly much more talented than the others, yet can't get out of the coaches doghouse, these questions are gonna be asked.

I think that comment would be better directed toward the coaching staff.

• Upvote 3

Are you speaking to us or the coaching staff?

Posted Today, 08:46 PM

Harry, on 20 Apr 2015 - 7:34 PM, said:snapback.png

Are you speaking to us or the coaching staff?

Ah...I was wondering the same thing. The whole history of the quarterback position seems strange (to me) under the present coaching staff, starting with the first Juco transfer we brought in (sorry, can't remember his name right now). It seemed like nobody had moved the ball period against Alabama the first year he came in, then the guy came in, got us down to the red zone, then got pulled.

I've just wondered if there's some Hotel California doghouse for quarterbacks here, where "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" (apologies to Glenn Frey and Don Henley)? And, my understanding of Coach Mac, from knowing one of his high school teachers, was that he was no paragon of respect for authority back there in Iowa City. Maybe that "DW speech" that Kram wrote could be started out with something like, "I know what it's like".

Edited by eulessismore

The only extra consideration here is his child.

If he's skipping out on extra film sessions late at night to go care for his kid, then he's making the right choice; McCarney or any other coach be damned.

If he's skipping out on extra film sessions late at night so he can go party/hang out, then carry on.

• Upvote 5

I don't necessarily disagree here, but realize if you do this and you have to start either of those 2, a record of 3-9 is staring you in the face.

If DW disobeyed a coach and refused to do the job the team demanded (wear headsets and send in plays), he should have been suspended immediately. I have a hard time believing that this happened. If it did, we have a far bigger problem on this team than a QB problem.

I'm surprised he still has a scholly if true. It may not be fair, but QB's are supposed to be above that kind of behavior to a certain degree at this level. Having said that, I chose DW simply because I don't think we can afford to be satisfied with a "bus driver" running the show if we want to win. Maybe we could get by with a plodding low output offense if we could consistently put a big-time defense on the field, but I'm just not seeing that yet. Here's to hoping that Smith shows up this August with a big "S" on his chest.

Edited by risinggreen

The only extra consideration here is his child.

If he's skipping out on extra film sessions late at night to go care for his kid, then he's making the right choice; McCarney or any other coach be damned.

If he's skipping out on extra film sessions late at night so he can go party/hang out, then carry on.

His daughter lives in Austin according to this article, fwiw.

http://ntdaily.com/new-starting-quarterback-adjusts-to-changes/

It'll be interesting to see how this spring game performance affects his spot on the depth chart. We were told only two current QBs, along with Smith, will receive first-team reps in the fall. Is Greer still that second guy or does the staff bump Dajon back up from 4th to 2nd?

That would be a major move, especially considering what staff we're dealing with. Just have to hope Dajon takes care of his end from now until fall.

Great post Kram.

I would also like to add that DW had a pretty bad game against a B10 team and an an awful game against UAB as a freshman. You should expect that from a freshman. If you aren't prepared for that, why put him out there? (Hint: because your more experienced QBs aren't very good.) We ended up with basically the same record with Mini in there. I know I have said this, but they should have just bitten the bullet and let DW learn the game by doing. As it is, we are right back where we started last spring.

• Upvote 2

I find it funny that everyone on this board continues to rip Dajon, but then y'all want to support Demarcus Smith. Why do you support a guy who by most accounts hasn't passed a single semester of college? Why do you support a guy who wasn't even able to qualify academically out of high school? Why do you support a guy who hasn't played a down for UNT? (and there is a good chance he never will)

Demarcus Smith hasn't shown he's reliable or that you can count on him at any point of his career!

Dajon has made mistakes, but at least his mistakes still allow him to suit up on gameday.

• Upvote 3

I find it funny that everyone on this board continues to rip Dajon, but then y'all want to support Demarcus Smith. Why do you support a guy who by most accounts hasn't passed a single semester of college? Why do you support a guy who wasn't even able to qualify academically out of high school? Why do you support a guy who hasn't played a down for UNT? (and there is a good chance he never will)

Demarcus Smith hasn't shown he's reliable or that you can count on him at any point of his career!

Dajon has made mistakes, but at least his mistakes still allow him to suit up on gameday.

Because he quite possibly will be the most talented QB on this team the moment he steps on the practice field, if he ever does?

I would imagine that's the hope of people voting for him.

Go look at his JUCO film/stats. Go look at his HS stats and his offers coming out of HS. This is not just "another dude." This is a highly touted and highly sought after QB coming out of HS. He would have had a book full of offers had it not been his injury Jr year in HS. He still had a solid offer list even with a blown out knee. He has proven himself in the Jr College ranks (more than Greer can say) and was a stud in high school (more than Means can say). The dude has the goods, he just has to get eligible and this staff will have to put trust in him. It's a no brainer decision if he makes it to the practice field come fall camp. To add to that he won one of those Elite 11 QB camps out in California coming out of HS and his competition were against some notable names. What QB in the history of UNT have these kind of accolades? I don't mean to praise the guy, but he has what it takes to rip CUSA apart.

Imagine a competent QB with real, developed talent slinging the football around the field to Carlos Harris, Turner Smiley, Tee Goree and Marcus Smith. Imagine the running lanes that will open for Jeffery Wilson and Ivery. Jimmy will be able to dance 10-12 yards before maybe even being touched with that kind of threat behind center. The pieces are there for this offense to be dangerously good, of course with a solid QB. It's exciting to even think about. That's the hope that D. Smith brings to the table. And to be honest, its not even really hope...it's a high probability if he gets eligible (of course if the staff will put trust in him). GMG

Edited by Ben Gooding

curious where you saw his JUCO highlights, all the ones I found are private highlights, I am hoping he gets eligible to give me hope that I don't have to watch A-Mac drive our bus off a cliff.

I'm just wondering how he could possibly be eligible for us in August if this is true?