MGB: Saturday scrimmage notes

Brett Vito

I had asked about Means a few times and Brett did me a solid by mentioning him in a post. Honestly, sounds like he's 4th out of our 4 scholarship QBs, not counting Chumley.

Going into this spring, my biggest concern for us was the future of our QB position. It was pretty obvious only Damarcus Smith could beat out Mcnulty, but I was hoping our young guys would push him, at least. Instead our three young QBs have not done well, from the sounds of it. Dajon is behind Greer, Means is behind Dajon, and Chumley is probably not going to stick at QB. And we are taking a huge risk on Damarcus Smith, who I think has not passed a semester of college yet.

I really think it's a mistake to not even give Dillman a shot at QB. I don't think we're in any position to be picky.

• Upvote 7

I had asked about Means a few times and Brett did me a solid by mentioning him in a post. Honestly, sounds like he's 4th out of our 4 scholarship QBs, not counting Chumley.

Going into this spring, my biggest concern for us was the future of our QB position. It was pretty obvious only Damarcus Smith could beat out Mcnulty, but I was hoping our young guys would push him, at least. Instead our three young QBs have not done well, from the sounds of it. Dajon is behind Greer, Means is behind Dajon, and Chumley is probably not going to stick at QB. And we are taking a huge risk on Damarcus Smith, who I think has not passed a semester of college yet.

I really think it's a mistake to not even give Dillman a shot at QB. I don't think we're in any position to be picky.

Wait, wait, wait.... So Smith hasn't passed a single college class? If true, how is he going to be even remotely eligible to come in the fall? I really, really hope you are mistaken.

Wait, wait, wait.... So Smith hasn't passed a single college class? If true, how is he going to be even remotely eligible to come in the fall? I really, really hope you are mistaken.

I said semester. I had his enrollment and departure date at WKU wrong, which is why I said I think. But he failed to qualify at UCF in 2011 and he is ineligible currently, but I'm not sure about the in between. Still, 4 years later and still having eligibility issues, that's a guy who I think you have to see him eligible officially before you start thinking it's a sure thing. Hopefully he does take care of his stuff, because his talent is really our main wildcard. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

I am not sure that Brett and I have the same definition for the word "stranglehold." Apparently his means something about the coaches doing everything they can for McNulty to lose the job, including a wide-open competition and bringing in a JUCO.

Any defense would look good against McNulty. Heads should be rolling for our inability to acquire and develop talent at the quarterback position. We have way too many scholarships invested in that position to be stuck with maybe the worst starting QB in the conference. Canales deserves to be fired for the Greer evaluation alone. And now Means, a quarterback who wasn't good in high school, isn't good in college either? Imagine Canales' surprise when he figured that out. Praying that Smith comes in and saves us from another Saw movie-like season of torture at this position.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Easy to say unless it comes to fruition...

I'm not saying it's going to come to fruition. He'll need to perform up to expectations, and the coaches will need to be able to help him get there. But they're simplifying the offense, and they're not doing it for

(1) McNulty. He's a returning starter with his 5th year in the offense. And whatever problems you might point out with McNulty, grasping the offense does not seem to be one of them.

(2) Williams. Although he seems to be making a slight push for himself, IIRC, he started out running with the 3's and 4's. Best case scenario for him is to finish out the spring #2 behind McNulty.

(3) Means. At least I really don't think so.

(4) Greer. I doesn't seem that an overly complex offense is his issue. Plus, it seems like this is a running QB-friendly offense, which is not really Greer's strength. Plus, I can't think of a reason why they'd rework an offense specifically for Greer.

All signs point to them doing all they can for Smith to be the starter by some point in the fall.

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but this year is probably the least excited I've ever been about spring ball. The fact that there has been no change at the most needed position from last year to now is crazy to me.

I feel the same way. Especially when you throw an unwinnable schedule on top of the QB situation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I feel the same way. Especially when you throw an unwinnable schedule on top of the QB situation.

It is a bad CUSA schedule and very unbalanced between home and away, but hardly unwinnable. It is unfortunate that NT has two guarantee away games, but neither are the usual powerhouses NT schedules.

If it is another bad year, it will have a lot more to do with the team than the schedule.

Wish I could've gone, but I was out of town for Easter stuffs. Hopefully I can make it this Saturday.

Would have liked to have seen more of Means. But then again, he's a RS Freshman, and it's a little lofty to expect him (in particular) to take the reins year 2 ahead of a year 5 and year 3 guy.

Iowa and Tennessee will murder us, unless Smith comes in and sets the world on fire and Mac allows him to do so.

Long long long odds.

I drink the green juice a lot, and I try not to be a negative nancy, but UNT90 is right.

Tennessee is very, very good. Iowa is very good.

And you know what? Doesn't matter to me cause they're not conference games. I think 6 games is doable even with McNulty at the - oh crap it's the green juice again. But yeah, 6 games is doable.

• Upvote 1