MGB: UNT moving women's regular season finale to TWU

Brett Vito

I'm not saying that $1mil would even out the ledger financially, but I'm saying everything has a price, and the price for displacing one of our University's representative teams should be very high... not just $20k or something. These girls suit up and play several games/yr representing our University, and pour in countless hours practicing outside of those contests. Even if hosting them loses money (which I'm assuming it does), the University should value them highly.

Think of it like your wedding ring. It may only be worth $100-200 bucks monetarily, but I'm betting it means a lot more to you than just $100-200.

Don't test me on that! Ha!

And, if only more folks shared your sentiments regarding these student-athletes. Nice to say such things....not many show up to support these athletes. The University does value them highly, it's the fans who don't seem to care. Hard to show that they are appreciated and one recognizes their hard work when no one shows up in person. Trust me, they really don't feel that "support from afar" thing.

Edited by KRAM1

Don't test me on that! Ha!

And, if only more folks shared your sentiments regarding these student-athletes. Nice to say such things....not many show up to support these athletes. The University does value them highly, it's the fans who don't seem to care. Hard to show that they are appreciated and one recognizes their hard work when no one shows up in person. Trust me, they really don't feel that "support from afar" thing.

This is a separate conversation though, I think.

Tough to spend time at the Super Pit watching the ladies lose as a fan... not my obligation. But as the University that these women suit up for, it IS your obligation.

I'm not saying that $1mil would even out the ledger financially, but I'm saying everything has a price, and the price for displacing one of our University's representative teams should be very high... not just $20k or something. These girls suit up and play several games/yr representing our University, and pour in countless hours practicing outside of those contests. Even if hosting them loses money (which I'm assuming it does), the University should value them highly.

Think of it like your wedding ring. It may only be worth $100-200 bucks monetarily, but I'm betting it means a lot more to you than just $100-200.

$100-$200 for a wedding ring? I guess since almost 50% of marriages end in divorce, being a cheap SOB in this case makes sense.

• Upvote 1

$100-$200 for a wedding ring? I guess since almost 50% of marriages end in divorce, being a cheap SOB in this case makes sense.

You know he's talking about a man's wedding ring, right? You can get one from a good wholesaler for less than $250; and if you're a dude adding a bunch of designs, diamonds or want to keep a softer, fancier metal on your hands, you deserve to pay more and be unable to sell it later.

• Upvote 1

You know he's talking about a man's wedding ring, right? You can get one from a good wholesaler for less than $250; and if you're a dude adding a bunch of designs, diamonds or want to keep a softer, fancier metal on your hands, you deserve to pay more and be unable to sell it later.

damn, I was trying so hard to be a smart ass that I totally missed this. Epic fail. Please -1 me like hell.

• Upvote 2

damn, I was trying so hard to be a smart ass that I totally missed this. Epic fail. Please -1 me like hell.

You've been on a strong uptick lately - this is like the 4th or 5th +1 I've sent your way in the last week or so. What is happening?

I know the conference likes doing alternate site men's/women's games on the same date, but why couldn't we just have this game on a different night?

This is what I was thinking...or heck, even cancel the game if it doesn't really affect the CUSA standings that much (I don't know if that is true or not, just typing out loud here) for the conference tournament.

Then again, I don't really have a problem with this. We need the money, the womens team is terrible, and TWU has an open arena to play in.

Women's basketball doesn't really move the needle for me, I just don't want it to embarrass the school. Right now, with the record we have, that's what it is doing, even if it is at a much smaller level than the two sports here. When your record is 3-20, you really cannot complain too much about being bumped for anything that brings in more revenue to the school. I'm just glad that they aren't making them play at Denton HS or Strickland MS...

This is what I was thinking...or heck, even cancel the game if it doesn't really affect the CUSA standings that much (I don't know if that is true or not, just typing out loud here) for the conference tournament.

Then again, I don't really have a problem with this. We need the money, the womens team is terrible, and TWU has an open arena to play in.

Women's basketball doesn't really move the needle for me, I just don't want it to embarrass the school. Right now, with the record we have, that's what it is doing, even if it is at a much smaller level than the two sports here. When your record is 3-20, you really cannot complain too much about being bumped for anything that brings in more revenue to the school. I'm just glad that they aren't making them play at Denton HS or Strickland MS...

I recall back in 2000 or 2001 we had a women's game at Ryan High School.

Edited by CMJ

I love how something like this which is really out of the athletic department's control (the Super Pit) is a sign to a few that the administration of the school doesn't care. I'm pretty sure since the AD doesn't control the Super Pit someone had to ask permission to put up that brand new scoreboard that now hangs over center court.

The way to fix scheduling conflicts such as this is for the school, most namely the athletic department, to build a brand new arena that will house both basketball teams plus allow the women's volleyball team to play there as well. I doubt NT will tell the cheerleader contest people to shove it as it has been pointed out is a revenue generator for the school.

It's not the first time one of the teams has been moved to an alternate site for a game and sadly it won't be the last so long as athletics does not have absolute control of a playing venue.

• Upvote 1

I love how something like this which is really out of the athletic department's control (the Super Pit) is a sign to a few that the administration of the school doesn't care. I'm pretty sure since the AD doesn't control the Super Pit someone had to ask permission to put up that brand new scoreboard that now hangs over center court.

The way to fix scheduling conflicts such as this is for the school, most namely the athletic department, to build a brand new arena that will house both basketball teams plus allow the women's volleyball team to play there as well. I doubt NT will tell the cheerleader contest people to shove it as it has been pointed out is a revenue generator for the school.

It's not the first time one of the teams has been moved to an alternate site for a game and sadly it won't be the last so long as athletics does not have absolute control of a playing venue.

I really don't understand this post. Are you saying that no one at UNT is responsible for scheduling events at the Pit? Edited by UNT90

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/womens-basketball/2014/08/13/mtsu-tssaa-face-scheduling-conflict/14025701/

Looks like mirror scheduling is a factor. Looks like the AD has known about this for a long time.

Looks like MTSU found a way to work around it...

Do you read the articles posted?

“Since Conference USA released its schedule early last fall, we knew that they scheduled a game for us on a date that had been previously booked by the Super Pit,” UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said in a prepared statement. “That facility is not run by the athletics department and we are subject to their scheduling policies. We worked tirelessly to find the best solution, including looking at alternative venues on campus and alternative dates. This was the best resolution for all involved parties.”

• Upvote 1

I really don't understand this post. Are you saying that no one at UNT is responsible for scheduling events at the Pit?

No, I'm saying the AD is not the party responsible for scheduling events at the Pit.

Do you look at the date of articles posted?

Like the one about MTSU dated last summer?

MTSU might have had only two parties (MTSU Athletics and TSSAA) involved in fixing the scheduling dilemma however there are three or more parties involved in our dilemma -- NT Athletics, whoever is responsible for booking events at the Super Pit, and the cheer-leading board/committee putting on the event. All three parties would have to come to an agreement and it seems that could not happen hence the women's team is being forced to play somewhere else.

I thought this was an interesting comment:

Added Childress: "Everyone needs to understand that this is not (MTSU's) fault. They made the request to get their games changed. When the conference says that's when you are going to play, that's what you have to do."

If C-USA decides to keep mirror scheduling in the future, it's likely to continue to be an issue for the TSSAA and MTSU, whether it's with the men's or women's basketball programs.

At least with MTSU, all of the events involved basketball meaning the playing surface wouldn't need to be removed and there must be enough time in the day for a fourth basketball game.

Regarding the bolded comment ... That means we have to play the games when the conferences tell us to. That means the schedule conflict has to be worked out between NT-AD, the "owners" of the Super Pit, and the cheer-leading group. Since the cheer-leading group booked the venue first, you really can't fault them for not budging on moving the date of their competition.

And since the conference decided to switch to a "mirror" schedule, the reason why we're even in this situation is because of the conference.

Since we don't control the Super Pit we can't tell someone to bug off because we need the venue for a night of women's basketball. The only way to control our destiny is to the AD to build a new arena.

Edited by UNTFan23

Response from President Smatresk:

"unavoidable"? I don't see how it was "unavoidable".

Imagine the uproar if the women's b-ball team were cruising through conference like the soccer team... and this game was going to lock up the regular season championship? The fan would be spraying the proverbial S*** everywhere.

The only reason it's not a huge deal is because the WBB team is terrible. Lucky Administration.

• Upvote 1

"unavoidable"? I don't see how it was "unavoidable".

Imagine the uproar if the women's b-ball team were cruising through conference like the soccer team... and this game was going to lock up the regular season championship? The fan would be spraying the proverbial S*** everywhere.

The only reason it's not a huge deal is because the WBB team is terrible. Lucky Administration.

It was unavoidable because they only realized it was happening like a couple weeks ago...