Vito Says Thompson is HOF-Worthy

Mean Green 93-98

Jamario Thomas, possibly one of if not the fastest backs we had, and may ever have. Led the nation his freshman year. Had it not been for two meaningless carries in a blowout loss to Texas, would possibly own college football's all time average per game record? Not sure now but he would have owned it for many years?

Anyways, his greatness was showcased for ONE season. Is he HOF worthy?

Hard to compare a RB who had single season numbers that compared well on a national level to a QB who had single season numbers that were average on the conference level. Not saying that DT should be in or out, I really don't have a strong opinion there, but Jamario is a completely different situation.

Hey I will always support and be proud of all the athletes that represent UNT with honor and dignity. However not really sure DT deserves to be in the North Texas Hall of Fame.

BUT, I really wish Veto would spend less time reporting on potential Hall of Fame candidates and more time on important issues like finding out what our season ticket sales have been each year since RV took over as Athletic Director. Yeah, yeah, I know it would more than likely cost him his job if he forced the issue with this regime.

But all of us who love our school need to start applying pressure on this Administration to hold employees accountable for their performance. If we don't we can expect more of the same ole rhetoric and mediocrity in the years ahead.

Why would the question of how much the season ticket base has increased be a job-ender for a DRC sports writer? The DRC would be thrilled to get the answer--kinda surprised they haven't already.

Hard to compare a RB who had single season numbers that compared well on a national level to a QB who had single season numbers that were average on the conference level. Not saying that DT should be in or out, I really don't have a strong opinion there, but Jamario is a completely different situation.

Jamario should be compared with Casey Fitzgerald. Should either of them be in? Both are pretty memorable for their accomplishments.

Jamario was a product of his system. Had a huge Freshman year, then tailed-off, unable to shake the hammy issues. He was a national rushing champ.

Casey was a product of his system. Walked on & was a virtual nobody during Dickey's years. Had a huge Jr year, and a pretty good Sr yr. He was an All-American.

Why would the question of how much the season ticket base has increased be a job-ender for a DRC sports writer? The DRC would be thrilled to get the answer--kinda surprised they haven't already.

He wouldn't lose his job, he would lose a little of his access. Another poster hit the nail on the head saying this staff is buddy, buddy and country club-esque. If Brett pushes the envelope they are going to subsequently push him out the door. If I were in Brett's shoes I would have lost access to the coaches, players and facilities long ago. Because, unlike Brett, I actually give a damn about UNT athletics.

Hey I will always support and be proud of all the athletes that represent UNT with honor and dignity. However not really sure DT deserves to be in the North Texas Hall of Fame.

BUT, I really wish Veto would spend less time reporting on potential Hall of Fame candidates and more time on important issues like finding out what our season ticket sales have been each year since RV took over as Athletic Director. Yeah, yeah, I know it would more than likely cost him his job if he forced the issue with this regime.

But all of us who love our school need to start applying pressure on this Administration to hold employees accountable for their performance. If we don't we can expect more of the same ole rhetoric and mediocrity in the years ahead.

I think you could probably do this yourself through a FOI request, no? Edited by UNT90

I am not sure how Cooley's answer can be rated the best when you consider the following career stats for Thompson:

2nd in pass attempts (1,055)

2nd in completions (636)

4th in completion percentage (60.3%)

2nd in yards (7,447)

2nd overall

4th in efficiency (126.27)

4th in TD's (42)

How do you accumulate these stats and get labeled a "turnover, sack or bad throw waiting to happen?" The only legit QB's he thinks should be in the HOF are Case, Washington and Ramsey. What about Mitch Maher or Scott Davis? Ramsey is the career leader in interceptions with 67, 17 ahead of second place Mitch Maher. Thompson isn't in the Top 5 listed. Washington ranks 9th in attempts, 9th in efficiency, 10th in yards and isn't in the Top 10 (minimum of 200 attempts) in completion percentage. Case is 8th in efficiency and 2nd in completion percentage, but not Top 10 in any other category.

I am not trying to discredit Ramsey, Case and Washington because they were all good, but Thompson's stats are equal to or better than all three and he is ahead of all in efficiency and only behind Case in completion percentage which are stats that shouldn't be skewed too much by the different eras.

Derek Thompson was a lightening rod for the team during his starting years, and I feel that much of this was not truly accurate. I am not sure why this was the case, but based on the above stats, he should be UNT's HOF, no questions asked.