Vito Says Thompson is HOF-Worthy

Mean Green 93-98

Winning at an outstanding level? He had a losing record as a starter. 1;1 td/int ratio. What do YOU not understand? And 9-4 was not done by Derek freaking Thompson. It was done with a 1,000 yard rusher and a ton of defensive touchdowns and turnovers. Andrew McNulty goes at least 6-6 if he was the starter on the 2013 squad. Keep things in perspective. This shit is getting old. Let's hold a higher standard for what we consider HOF talent. DT shouldn't be that standard.

To add on to this, an argument could even be made that he actually lost us more games (Tulane/Ohio) than he won (Ball St) in his "HOF" season (not to mention HOFamers are inducted for full body of work).

Please, stop. The agenda driven maniacs are ruthless.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

We have shown no ability to churn out QB after QB to surpass these numbers. Hell, we have shown an INABILITY to churn out one QB to MATCH these numbers.

This is the UNT Hall of Fame, not the Boise St., Baylor, UT, or OU hall of fame. By UNT standards, DT is a first ballot HOFer.

So I have to sort through a myriad of your daily, nagging posts about raising the standards for our AD, but when it comes to the HOF, student athletes and their performances...you want to drop the bar.

Small degree of irony here.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

So I have to sort through a myriad of your daily, nagging posts about raising the standards for our AD, but when it comes to the HOF, student athletes and their performances...you want to drop the bar.

Small degree of irony here.

Not at all.

The standards of the UNT HOFare set by the current members. DT is top five in a lot of categories and was bowl MVP of one of the 2 bowls UNT has won in the modern era of college football.

People say that "what if we have a QB that throws for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs in multiple seasons?" Well, WHEN that happens, and that person is inducted into the hall of fame, the standard is automatically raised.

That hasn't happened at UNT, and most certainly won't happen with the current coaching staff and scheme in place. Run, run, pass just doesn't equate to 4k yards and 30 TDs a year through the air.

What DT did in this offense was really quite impressive.

• Upvote 1

I think DT really has join the ranks of go to offseason topics we love to discuss every year. Next week we'll move on to new uniforms, something in regard to the band, if we should decide on one helmet (or five like the last couple of years), how to raise attendance, or what green was the best.

The best thing about Apogee opening was we got to retire the new stadium threads.

I don't see how the "lower the bar" argument is propped up here.

Look at the other QB's in the record book, are those guys in the NT HOF? If so, and Thompson is above them on the list, then how is the bar being lowered? Ramsey, Maher, Davis, Hall... all of those guys are in. Thompson's numbers are up there with all of those guys.

If you want to point to his win/loss record, or TD/INT record and say he's not worthy, that's fine, but you can't say the bar would be lowered by letting him in.

UNT: Win a bowl game and we'll put you in the HOF.

And 9 games. And be top five in just about all passing categories while running an abortion of an offense that made you throw in 2nd and 3rd and long about 80 percent of the time.

Edited by UNT90

If you choose to state that certain QB's can't be compared because of the era they played in, then you can't compare QB's based on their systems. The devil may be putting on a jacket right now, because I agree with UNT90. You can't penalize DT for the system he played in while he was here. He is at or near the top in many QB career categories at UNT including completion percentage and not including interceptions, for those of you that claim he was so inaccurate. In a era when throwing the ball all over the place wasn't popular, Steve Ramsey leads in career interceptions, yet he is in the HOF and was the All-Century QB. I am not comparing the two, but using them to show how comparing era and systems is not fair to the players. Is DT a Hall of Famer at UNT? Absolutely.

Hall's TD/INT ratio is 50:26, so just under 2:1. Mitch Maher is 67:50, Ramsey is an awful 69:67, Davis is 41:35, & DT is 42:34.

DT's ratio is right in the middle of all of those other HOF'ers.

Excellent post. Compare DTs numbers to UNT HOF QBs, not a fictional number that you think a QB at UNT should be able to attain, and you will find that he measures up nicely to the other QBs in the HOF.

I hope he is first ballot because he deserves it, but also to see the entertaining reaction this forum would have to such an event.

Hall's TD/INT ratio is 50:26, so just under 2:1. Mitch Maher is 67:50, Ramsey is an awful 69:67, Davis is 41:35, & DT is 42:34.

DT's ratio is right in the middle of all of those other HOF'ers.

True, I usually get lazy and leave out the fact that for his last two years the ratio was 27:9.

DT's ratio his last two years was 30:27.

It's just hard for me to say someone is HOF worthy when they never even sniffed an all-conference team. I don't think he's a HOF, but I understand the argument of his stats and where they stand all-time at UNT...even though they're not impressive at all when you consider it took him 3 full years to put them up.

• Upvote 4

True, I usually get lazy and leave out the fact that for his last two years the ratio was 27:9.

That's the good thing about efficiency-type stats. It's still comparable, even if one QB may be in and offense that throws more.

As for the whole "lowering the bar" statement. It's not that we'd be lowering the bar. We'd be setting the bar for future QBs.

and what about DTs interception-free, 100% completion first season? find me another UNT quarterback with those numbers!

• Upvote 3

I think the problem is that people want us to have UT standards for a program that has been historically inept.

That makes no sense.

Since 2009 -- Thompson's first season -- UH, UT, A&M, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, and Rice have all won 9 games or more in a season. And UTSA might have in 2012 had they been able to go to a bowl game (which is how we got to nine wins in 2013). In other words, more FBS teams have won 9 games (or more) than not, in the State of Texas, since 2009.

It was a good season. And it was a lot of fun standing in the midst of a sea of green to watch that ninth win. But I still maintain the 2013 team would have won 11 games had it not been for complete ineptitude on offense in a handful of games. If the QB gets the glory in the wins, doesn't he also shoulder the blame in the losses?

I don't think that's "UT" standards, but I do tend to err on the side of expecting more out of people, programs, life.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That's the good thing about efficiency-type stats. It's still comparable, even if one QB may be in and offense that throws more.

As for the whole "lowering the bar" statement. It's not that we'd be lowering the bar. We'd be setting the bar for future QBs.

But "the bar" is already set. There's nothing sub-par about what DT did (when looking at the numbers). His numbers are not below all of these other HOF QBs. They're mostly above them.

It's just hard for me to say someone is HOF worthy when they never even sniffed an all-conference team. I don't think he's a HOF, but I understand the argument of his stats and where they stand all-time at UNT...even though they're not impressive at all when you consider it took him 3 full years to put them up.

Hall, Maher & Davis all had 3.5 yrs to get their stats, Ramsey & DT had 3 (DT had 3 +1 game & 1 drive).