How does this Iowa coach keep his job?

Harry

My benchmark is the University of Houston. I don't see why we can't be as good as them in all sports.However, if I were to grade R.V. only on his hires, he is 1 for 2 in football[assuming coach Mac was a good hire, which is suspect], 1 for 2 in men's basketball[i never would have hired an assistant coach from anywhere], and 1 for 3 in women's basketball[but who really cares?].Overall he is 3 for 7 [or about 40%] which is a good batting average in baseball and in the business world. I look at North Texas as a coaching grave yard.Since my freshman year of 1961 only 2 football coaches,1 men's basketball coach and 1 women's basketball coach has used us as a stepping stone to greener pastures[i have slept since then, so I might have missed someone]. This tells me that a head coaching job in these 3 sports is not a desired job nor an easy sell to prospective candidates.I don't see anyone breaking down the doors to coach here, and until our perception in the coaching community changes our pool of prospects will be very limited and hiring results hit or miss. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My benchmark is the University of Houston. I don't see why we can't be as good as them in all sports.However, if I were to grade R.V. only on his hires, he is 1 for 2 in football[assuming coach Mac was a good hire, which is suspect], 1 for 2 in men's basketball[i never would have hired an assistant coach from anywhere], and 1 for 3 in women's basketball[but who really cares?].Overall he is 3 for 7 [or about 40%] which is a good batting average in baseball and in the business world. I look at North Texas as a coaching grave yard.Since my freshman year of 1961 only 2 football coaches,1 men's basketball coach and 1 women's basketball coach has used us as a stepping stone to greener pastures[i have slept since then, so I might have missed someone]. This tells me that a head coaching job in these 3 sports is not a desired job nor an easy sell to prospective candidates.I don't see anyone breaking down the doors to coach here, and until our perception in the coaching community changes our pool of prospects will be very limited and hiring results hit or miss. Just an old man's opinion.

And, a good opinion at that.

There are 126 jobs at the FBS head coaching level. There are PLENTY of good candidates who would LOVE to be head football coach at UNT. If what you say is true, and I don't believe that it is, it says waaaaay more about the AD than it does about the head coaching position itself.

As far as you being satisfied with 40% success in hires by your AD, it's just you being used to being a UNT fan. That is what you have come to expect. That makes RV's job much easier. As far as being successful in the business world, would people in the business world ignore a problem for 4 years when it was apparent that problem hire wasn't working out? Because that is what we do here.

Benford really should count as 2 bad hires, because he actually took a program on the rise and destroyed it. While the AD looked on. Tell me, does that happen in the business world?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

North Texas is NOT a hard sell. Get an up tempo offense, I'm talking 4 and 5 wide, and watch all the athletes flock, you know those kids we can't seem to get, Jerminic, kid from Greenville, etc, and be active with the AD about making money and pushing football. I agree with Mac Denton is waiting to explode onto the college football world. BUT, it will take the right coach, and the right offense. The coach that can call the right offense and recruit the right players. Can we bring TD back to simply recruit and evaluate :)

My benchmark is the University of Houston. I don't see why we can't be as good as them in all sports.However, if I were to grade R.V. only on his hires, he is 1 for 2 in football[assuming coach Mac was a good hire, which is suspect], 1 for 2 in men's basketball[i never would have hired an assistant coach from anywhere], and 1 for 3 in women's basketball[but who really cares?].Overall he is 3 for 7 [or about 40%] which is a good batting average in baseball and in the business world. I look at North Texas as a coaching grave yard.Since my freshman year of 1961 only 2 football coaches,1 men's basketball coach and 1 women's basketball coach has used us as a stepping stone to greener pastures[I have slept since then, so I might have missed someone]. This tells me that a head coaching job in these 3 sports is not a desired job nor an easy sell to prospective candidates.I don't see anyone breaking down the doors to coach here, and until our perception in the coaching community changes our pool of prospects will be very limited and hiring results hit or miss. Just an old man's opinion.

Yeah, I think you have. Just off the top of my head.

Coach Fry, College Hall of Fame.

Jerry Moore,...left for Texas Tech, who had the FCS world in the palm of his hands a few years ago at App St.

Paul Johnson, headed for the College Hall of Fame, wanted our job here.

We insulted the man by hiring a high school coach who had never coached in college in his life.

Dickey, ...has never been unemployed since leaving, and who's offense just beat BYU in their bowl game.

Jim Harbaugh wanted our job. Couldn't afford him.

Jim Leavitt wanted our job.

Don Carthal at WTA&M wanted our job and never received so much as a middle finger much less an interview.

Dodge, never unemployed since leaving. Coached at Pitt next, then Marble Falls, and landed a big money job at Westlake now last year.

Dennis Franchione wanted our job, and like Carthel, never got an interview.

Karen Aston, seems to be doing OK at the moment....LMFAO!!!

Johnny Jones,...again, seems to be doing OK too at LSU.

Danny Kaspar, wanted our job after coaching SFA up, and after getting references from the likes of Brad Stevens (then Butler's head coach; now the Celtics head coach), Rick Barnes (UT head coach), Greg Poppovich (Spurs head coach), and Mark Turgeon (former A & M head coach, now HC at Maryland),....he gets blown off by North Texas and never received an interview.

Matt Daniels, successful women's coach at Central Arkansas, wanted our job after Aston left. Told me and SUMG personally that he applied but never got an interview. It's probably changed now, but last I checked he had Marshall at 7-4. Whereas our guy who "Referenced" himself is 1-11.

So yeah, it appears a lot of people think fairly highly of our school and it's location and the possibilities that it affords a coach. It's not the coaching graveyard you think it is.

.rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

People want to buy any excuse so they don't have to accept the obvious.

UNT simply doesn't care about athletics, and probably never will.

If they cared, Dodge would have been gone middle of year 3.

If they cared, Stephens would have been gone a year earlier.

If they cared, Benford would have been gone during or after year one when it became painfully obvious to anyone who watched him coach a game that he had no idea what he was doing. Just a straight out embarrassment. Still here in year 3.

If they cared, an AD wouldn't make a career at UNT, especially one that has failed miserably in consistently putting out a competitive product in a crappy conference for most of his career.

If the BOR, the school president, and Dallas Lee finally decide to take athletics seriously and make it a high priority, then and only then will we ever make significant headway in retaining the loyalty of our alumni. The first step is a new, young AD who has held the position at a lower level program (possibly FCS) and who is eager to get a shot at an FBS job.

No tired retread just looking for a retirement gig.

Until that happens, RV has the easiest 350k a year job in the nation. Schedule a couple of whore games to balance the budget and everything is A-OK.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Rick, the people that you "think" wanted our job don't count as they didn't get hired for one reason or the other. I'm talking reality, not speculation or by guess and by golly. In the past 54 years only 4 head coaches have left North Texas for another head coaching position, and to my knowledge no athletic director unless you count Hayden Fry who was booth coach and A.D. If that's not a grave yard, I have some land in Louisiana that gets wet about twice a year I would like to show you.

Rick, the people that you "think" wanted our job don't count as they didn't get hired for one reason or the other. I'm talking reality, not speculation or by guess and by golly. In the past 54 years only 4 head coaches have left North Texas for another head coaching position, and to my knowledge no athletic director unless you count Hayden Fry who was booth coach and A.D. If that's not a grave yard, I have some land in Louisiana that gets wet about twice a year I would like to show you.

You said its a graveyard, as to pose the coaches leave here and die professionally. That's not true at all and I've given plenty of examples.

As for those I stated that wanted our job, it's not fiction. All facts. All those folks listed above wanted our job and I have either confirmed this myself with direct contact with the candidates or thru those we know here, to RV himself.

Its not that I think, nor is it speculation or guessing, I know.

And Louisiana wetlands are a fantastic source for hunting. So if you have a lease there and are proposing an invitation to go hunting there sometime I'm sure I can't get some time off, just let me know.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

RV has done bad. Let's not sugarcoat or speculate his downfalls. He is well below .500 in just about everything. Winning talks, and the people he has put in place to do just that have not won. Johnny Jones may be the only exception. Dude is a dud and has got to go. I had to talk myself out of walking down there to him last night and giving his a piece of my mind, several times. He's no good and a direct reflection of that is our athletic programs, lack of marketing, ticket sales, attendance, MGC members, winning %, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. It's quite frankly a joke to defend him and his "progress." RV must go, he must.

Rick, a lot of examples for 54 years. Love you, but surely you jest.No way Harbaugh wanted the job, and Leavitt had just been fired at USF for physically abusing players.Being a head coach at UNT is not as attractive an opportunity as we would like to think.Personally I would replace the head coaches of men' football and basketball which just reinforces my opinion that we are a coaching graveyard. I don't care about women's basketball and neither does anyone else. When you count your attendance in 100's from a 36,000 student base then you really have apathy.Regarding men's basketball, we only averaged 3,000+ when J.J, was winning, which doesn't make us much of a round ball hot bed.Our football team has not averaged 20,000+ in our new stadium, which is probably only a few thousand more that we averaged at Fouts. As I said, hiring a head coach for our major programs is not as easy as it would seem. However, having said that we certainly need to do a better job. On that point I think we can all agree.

• Upvote 1