Commencement Ceremonies Moved to Apogee Starting 2015

Cerebus

We practiced at Fouts

.You practiced? If there's anything I learned at my commencement ceremony, it's that anybody, and I mean anybody, could walk up the day of, without any practice whatsoever, give their name to the coordinator person, and "graduate" along with everybody who'd earned degrees. No cross checking, no rehearsals, nothing. Just line you up, you write your name on an index card, which they then give to the president, you walk on stage, he reads the names, you get some unsolicited five thousand dollar photograph taken, and you're on your way.

Seems like it may take a long time to gradate everyone at once.

I think I'm starting to figure this out. You get your degree at your college recognition ceremony, then everybody sits together in Apogee and listens to the big head speak.

degree conferral and celebrations before the event.

Sorry I'm posting so much on this. It fascinates me for no reason I can come up with.

Let me try to clear the confusion:

• There will be COLLEGE recognition ceremonies in May and December. This is where the name is read and the diploma is handed out. It will be up to the colleges to organize and structure these. I am sure there will be variations, In Engineering we'll probably have a huge LAN party, I assume COBA will just have a kegger of some sort, interpretive dance sessions for COVAD, etc.
  • Once a year there will be a UNIVERSITY commencement at Apogee where anyone who graduated in the past year can attend. This is where they'll have the big speakers, bitchin fireworks, probably Scrappy parachuting in.

As a side note to all you CAS grads: There is a big push from the president to split the college into a College of Sciences and a College of the Humanities. Still a ton up in the air.

Let me try to clear the confusion:

• There will be COLLEGE recognition ceremonies in May and December. This is where the name is read and the diploma is handed out. It will be up to the colleges to organize and structure these. I am sure there will be variations, In Engineering we'll probably have a huge LAN party, I assume COBA will just have a kegger of some sort, interpretive dance sessions for COVAD, etc.
  • Once a year there will be a UNIVERSITY commencement at Apogee where anyone who graduated in the past year can attend. This is where they'll have the big speakers, bitchin fireworks, probably Scrappy parachuting in.

As a side note to all you CAS grads: There is a big push from the president to split the college into a College of Sciences and a College of the Humanities. Still a ton up in the air.

Thanks for this, but not sure why there is so much confusion in this thread to begin with...

President S is doing things right, and is the first president since I have been around to treat the University in the manner other universities of our size are treated.

The reading comprehension displayed by some of our alums in this thread does frighten me though...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

And another thing many here seem to be missing: there will be no walking of the stage in May. Everyone grouped by degree type (UG, M, PhD & DMA) will stand at a designated time and have their degrees conferred upon them.

Sounds like a Sun Myung Moon (That's 문선명 for those who insist on accuracy) wedding gone academic.

• Upvote 1

This sounds like a good idea overall. I like the individual college programs that still allow you to walk across the stage and shake hands with a dean. It keeps the length of the programs reasonable.

As for the heat, I've had to wear a suit and tie in 100 degree/95% humidity before. It's not the most comfortable but you get through it. Once, I was awaiting for security outside the US consulate in HCMC for over an hour with no shade nor place to sit. We all got through it just fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think what's quite cool that a lot of people are missing is this gives the opportunity for us to get some distinguished speakers at the commencement ceremonies that UNT has been unable to before. UNT will probably be able to get some distinguished speakers, considering they've had Steve Wozniak and George Takei this year as part of the DLS, for example.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I graduated high school outside in south Texas in June and I lived (sorry my UNT90 just came out).

I'm more concerned about the length of the ceremony since they will not be having multiple commencements. Seems like it may take a long time to gradate everyone at once.

So did I. It was hot, but not unbearable. And that was in June at 1 pm. This will be early May at 7 or 8pm.