All that DW needs to be who we need him to be

Harry

It's real one thing that needs to be taught and absorbed. Do not turn over the ball. If you feel the edge to throw in traffic, throw it away. If you are about to take a sack throw it away. If you are running with the ball and see a defender coming at you slide. When you are running the ball protect it with both hands. Simple down the play book and give him a solid but safe game plan to use. This is all that needs to happen with him. He deserves another chance. Use McNulty as the short leash to ensure his compliance. The punishment for his sins at UAB have been felt enough. Leaving his talent and potential impact on the bench makes no sense. DW if you turn the ball over against our game plan and wishes you get replaced by mini immediately. Same goes to the WRs if you drop a pass you should have caught you're on the bench. Same with DLine and LB..if you get pushed around and don't make a play you hit the bench and another gets a chance. The only two who are exempt are Carlos Harris and Derek Akunne. Screw the rotation, I want a rotation based on production. This policy allows you to find out who you can count on in future seasons.

That is all! GMG

It's real one thing that needs to be taught and absorbed. Do not turn over the ball. If you feel the edge to throw in traffic, throw it away. If you are about to take a sack throw it away. If you are running with the ball and see a defender coming at you slide. When you are running the ball protect it with both hands. Simple down the play book and give him a solid but safe game plan to use. This is all that needs to happen with him. He deserves another chance. Use McNulty as the short leash to ensure his compliance. The punishment for his sins at UAB have been felt enough. Leaving his talent and potential impact on the bench makes no sense. DW if you turn the ball over against our game plan and wishes you get replaced by mini immediately. Same goes to the WRs if you drop a pass you should have caught you're on the bench. Same with DLine and LB..if you get pushed around and don't make a play you hit the bench and another gets a chance. The only two who are exempt are Carlos Harris and Derek Akunne. Screw the rotation, I want a rotation based on production. This policy allows you to find out who you can count on in future seasons.

That is all! GMG

Preach!!
  • Upvote 1

Look at how bad West Virginia's qb was last year. He was young and coaches expected those mistakes. This year he is more experienced and lighting it up. DW is a redshirt freshman but he has the most talent. Get him the experience in a lost season and reap the benefits next year.

I am not worried about next year's o-line either. After watching A&M's experienced line underperform this year, sometimes we think having a bunch of guys coming back is a great thing. Obviously it doesn't always work out that way.

• Upvote 3

That is all! GMG

It's too bad the head coach feels about 180 degrees differently about DW as the starting QB here. He will never start another game here, barring an injury to McNulty. I wish it was different, but he is done here, I'm afraid.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Sadly all Mcnulty needs to do is run the dumbed down version of the offense (that strangely was never put in place for a redshirt freshman playing for the first time) for DW to never see the field again. It's exactly how Mac always wanted it to play out.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sadly all Mcnulty needs to do is run the dumbed down version of the offense (that strangely was never put in place for a redshirt freshman playing for the first time) for DW to never see the field again. It's exactly how Mac always wanted it to play out.

I told you it was a conspiracy!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems like Mac would rather go 3-and-out, punt, then give up a TD drive then actually move the ball, have a slight risk of turning the ball over (which happens with any QB), and give the defense some breathing room and/or points to defend.

Mac is conservative to the core and while he's a great guy I wonder if the college game has passed him by and he's not quite as relevant as he thinks he is. That may be another factor why high school players pick other institutions over UNT despite all the other huge draws UNT has to offer.

I think give miniMac the start, but if after two series he hasn't moved the ball, put Dajon in, but let him know that if he's responsible for a turnover, he's pulled for the rest of the quarter/half. So any dumb decision is on him but if he throws a ball that's tipped then intercepted, or a back or wide receiver fumbles, he can stay in. That should focus his mind and we can reap the benefits.

Then the next game, he starts, but under the same circumstances. Eventually you give him a bit more leash each game and he should grow into the role.

• Upvote 1

Dajon had his shot. Greer had his shot. McNulty deserved a shot. After looking at all three, dajon has the most talent and upside.

Dajon made some bad decisions. If you turn the ball over by sticking to the gameplan, the coaches will take the blame for it. When DT threw pick 6s on the screens, the coaches did not fault him as much as they did the playcalling. They eventually admitted it was a bad play and said they would no longer run that play since it was keyed on so much. DT was told to do x if he sees y, and he did it.

Dajons picks were due to him making a bad decision on his own. If a qb fumbles a designed run, the oc may take some of the blame for putting him in that position to get blown up. If a qb fumbles by going away from the gameplan and free styling, he will get all of the blame.

McNulty's pick 6 sealed our doom in the Rice game. who cares if the game was closer than Indiana and uab. Still a loss. But the coaches are not acting as if he single handedly lost the game, because it was still within the confines of the system. And thats very unfortunate for UNT.

• Upvote 2

Until players buy in, and put in the work required to get better--all the time--and display the attitude desired as a leader, they are not going to start..

Could this simply be the case--as has been mentioned over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Until players buy in, and put in the work required to get better--all the time--and display the attitude desired as a leader, they are not going to start..

Could this simply be the case--as has been mentioned over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

This staff is old school. The system is the reason they win games (in their minds) they feel they win games with Xs and Os. If the gameplan is executed properly, then there will be success.

Nothing wrong with that philosophy if you get the right athletes to run that exact system or has been in a similar environment in high school.

Problem UNT has, it is trying to get good D1 athletes and convert them to a different system, and expect them to hit the ground running. It would be great if UNT could get their pick of athletes they want, but they are low in the pecking order.

This is a different era. You have to look at the talent you have, and come up with a compromise with athletes and system.

If you cant get the pick of the litter with pocket passers, but you can get a few 3 star mobile qbs in the state, wouldnt you have a better shot of success by changing your system to fit mobile qbs with multiple backs?

• Upvote 3

by changing your system

I've said before, and still maintain that stubbornness and refusal to adapt are not exclusive to this coaching staff. The my way or the highway, I'm never wrong and I'm totally infallible stay the course mentality seems to be something that all coaches have in common. Now, maybe I haven't coach a bajillion years of high school peewee football like some other people who post on here, and maybe that's just how personnel management do in sports -- rigid, unwavering, non-adaptation rules the day. Seems like the next generation of successful coaches will be those that understand innovation can actually be a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I've said before, and still maintain that stubbornness and refusal to adapt are not exclusive to this coaching staff. The my way or the highway, I'm never wrong and I'm totally infallible stay the course mentality seems to be something that all coaches have in common. Now, maybe I haven't coach a bajillion years of high school peewee football like some other people who post on here, and maybe that's just how personnel management do in sports -- rigid, unwavering, non-adaptation rules the day. Seems like the next generation of successful coaches will be those that understand innovation can actually be a good thing.

And this is happening on both sides of the ball. Skladany operated the same way at UH. Its no surprise to me. These high school defenses in Texas are full of athletic dbs, lbs, and des. They dont want to be in defenses that sit back in a base zone defense and get picked apart. These hs corners are pressing and playing man, and these hs lbs are blitzing and getting after the qb.

We are boring and conservative on both sides. I have seen conservative offenses work, but the defenses are usually very nasty and aggressive.

Last year we made a living off halftime adjustments. This year it seems like our opponents are the ones making all the right halftime adjustments (if they need to).

Hard to tell when your defense is just plain gassed after being burned the first 20 minutes, and your team is spotting opponents 21 points nearly every game before the fans buy their first hot dog.

X-and-Os don't really matter when the Jimmies-and-Joes don't execute.

List of schools with senior QBs where Greer and Williams can transfer for the 2015 season...and, McNulty, if he graduates and can do so by NCAA guidelines:

Southeastern Louisiana

Central Arkansas

Lamar

Northwestern State (La.)

Nicholls State

Texas A&M - Commerce

Midwestern State

I'm sure there are other FCS and DII schools with senior QBs as well. These are just the nearest not in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has a ton of that DII-III-NAIA level football that Greer, Williams, and McNulty would all be well suited for. I wish them well at whichever one they choose.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Downvote 3

List of schools with senior QBs where Greer and Williams can transfer for the 2015 season...and, McNulty, if he graduates and can do so by NCAA guidelines:

Southeastern Louisiana

Central Arkansas

Lamar

Northwestern State (La.)

Nicholls State

Texas A&M - Commerce

Midwestern State

I'm sure there are other FCS and DII schools with senior QBs as well. These are just the nearest not in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has a ton of that DII-III-NAIA level football that Greer, Williams, and McNulty would all be well suited for. I wish them well at whichever one they choose.

Not sure what your point is here. You would like for all of our QBs except Means to transfer so we have one scholarship QB on the roster? That sounds like a plan for success.

• Downvote 1

This is a different era. You have to look at the talent you have, and come up with a compromise with athletes and system.

I think you are missing my point. No coach is going to start or keep playing a player that will not work as hard or harder than his teammates or the next guy. No coach will start or keep playing a player unless that player guts it up and does what everybody else is doing to get better and make plays--UNLESS that player is so good that he succeeds in spite of lack of development/lack of discipline to be a better player or doesn't work as expected.

No coach who wants to coach successfully will do this. Eras come and go. There are some constants, and that's one of them.

• Upvote 1