New CUSA MWC Merger will include 18-24 Members

Harry

So, does the NCAA waive the rule on automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournament for the conference tournament champion? I believe a new conference has to wait 5 years for an auto bid? The best team in this conference (probably the best 3 or 4 teams) are a lock for the NCAA tourney anyway, but what about a 15-15 team that comes out of no where to win the conference tournament?

So many questions.

So, does the NCAA waive the rule on automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournament for the conference tournament champion? I believe a new conference has to wait 5 years for an auto bid? The best team in this conference (probably the best 3 or 4 teams) are a lock for the NCAA tourney anyway, but what about a 15-15 team that comes out of no where to win the conference tournament?

So many questions.

If a number - I believe it is 5 - of schools have been together for at least - I believe it is 5 - years then they met the requirements for auto qualifier in NCAA tournaments. The new conference will have at least TWO groups that meet the requirements.

At least I think so.

Quotes from UTEP President AD Press Conference...

Q: Who are the other universities in play?

Natalicio: The range of growth would be 2 more schools, which would be 9 on either side. I don't have any more information than you do about the names of institutions. On the west side, we've heard about Utah State, on the East, we've heard FIU. Q:It's been 13 years since the WAC broke up. Why would this work now when it wouldn't work then?

I think the division structure would be more feasible than what the WAC was talking about.

Q: Is there a possibility for 4 divisions?

N: Should we get to something like 24 teams in the conference pods, I think that'll be a possibility.

:

New Mexico state, because UTEP is in this market already, it's difficult to imagine that it would be a first choice. That's not saying it's not going to happen.

I think the expansion teams are a second step, not a first step.

A lot depends on the makeup of the conference, the television markets that would be involved. We've had the departure of Houston, SMU, which are big markets.

This is still quite fluid.

Q:If you had to rank the reason, what are the top reasons for making this move?

N: Television revenues is certainly important. This creates an entirely new environment for television. We and our television partners need to think about that. Also important is a stability issue.

I think what we would like to do in the best of all worlds is stability. Television is a part of that.

S: There's a long list of people who have been aggressive in trying to join conference USA. I think the question is: What do they add?

If the television numbers stay the same at 18, we're not going to add anymore that don't add any value.

This was from El Paso Times

Quotes from UTEP President AD Press Conference...

Q: Who are the other universities in play?

Natalicio: The range of growth would be 2 more schools, which would be 9 on either side. I don't have any more information than you do about the names of institutions. On the west side, we've heard about Utah State, on the East, we've heard FIU. Q:It's been 13 years since the WAC broke up. Why would this work now when it wouldn't work then?

I think the division structure would be more feasible than what the WAC was talking about.

Q: Is there a possibility for 4 divisions?

N: Should we get to something like 24 teams in the conference pods, I think that'll be a possibility.

:

New Mexico state, because UTEP is in this market already, it's difficult to imagine that it would be a first choice. That's not saying it's not going to happen.

I think the expansion teams are a second step, not a first step.

A lot depends on the makeup of the conference, the television markets that would be involved. We've had the departure of Houston, SMU, which are big markets.

This is still quite fluid.

Q:If you had to rank the reason, what are the top reasons for making this move?

N: Television revenues is certainly important. This creates an entirely new environment for television. We and our television partners need to think about that. Also important is a stability issue.

I think what we would like to do in the best of all worlds is stability. Television is a part of that.

S: There's a long list of people who have been aggressive in trying to join conference USA. I think the question is: What do they add?

If the television numbers stay the same at 18, we're not going to add anymore that don't add any value.

This was from El Paso Times

And again our name is nowhere to be seen from someone that would have a little bit of knowledge about what is actually occurring.

Very disappointing.

I'm making a bold prediction here, so mark this in stone. :)

UNT will get in. This new Super Conference America will have 24 teams, with two 12 team divisions, the Mountain West and CUSA-East. These two divisions will NOT play each other. Teams will play within their own division with the champion of each division going to the Super Conference America Championship game. My only guess is this new conference has hopes of sending this champion into a sort of "BCS bid" whenever the big conferences finish realignment and work out new bowl contracts and stipulations. Maybe this is the mid-major's last stand for inclusion as these rifts continue to break the haves from the have nots, who knows??

Whoever is left out will be royally screwed when the dust settles....

Edited by Got5onIt

I'm making a bold prediction here, so mark this in stone. :)

UNT will get in. This new Super Conference America will have 24 teams, with two 12 team divisions, the Mountain West and CUSA-East. These two divisions will NOT play each other. Teams will play within their own division with the champion of each division going to the Super Conference America Championship game. My only guess is this new conference has hopes of sending this champion into a sort of "BCS bid" whenever the big conferences finish realignment and work out new bowl contracts and stipulations. Maybe this is the mid-major's last stand for inclusion as these rifts continue to break the haves from the have nots, who knows??

Whoever is left out will be royally screwed when the dust settles....

If 24 is the case, what is our competition roughly from west to east? Here's my brief list, and let me know who and what I missed:

Utah State (strong western candidate, with established BB program, and improving FB)

NMSU (several things to offer, but UTEP no like)

San Antonio (newbie to the scene, great market, improving academics, and potentially strong backing from both the city and the UT System)

San Marcos (newbie to the scene, nice market, improving academics, and several intangibles to offer)

North Texas (phenomenal market and location, at (or near) the top of the list in athletic history, academics, prospects, facilities, BB, enrollment, and yes, I may be a bit biased)

LA Tech (established history, very recent FB success, but very limited market)

LALA (see LA Tech, but less established nationally)

Arkie State (recent success and nice prospects, but limited market and recognition)

Middle (nice market, but limited success and recognition other than '12 BB)

FIU (great market, but nothing much to speak of other than '11's FB team)

FAU (see FIU, without '11 FB success)

Temple (great market, very good academics, but likely doesn't want to stretch all programs coast to coast)

If we cannot slip in with all that we have to offer in so many ways, I say we're in deep trouble. Independence once again doesn't sound great, but you never know. Personally, I think we get in easily with a 24.

The UNLV President stated the two driving forces in expansion are academics and market size. I feel good about our chances. He also is excited about growing the UNLV brand out East while maintained regional rivalries. I look forward to growing the Mean Green brand east and west and finally nurturing our regional rivalries with Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, UTEP, New Mexico and Southern Miss. Getting nationally ranked UNLV in the Superpit will be great and I look forward to seeing us play at Marshall one day - battle of the GREEN!!!!!

GMG

Those of us down here in Boca are thinking these schools have the best shot:

First FIU and FAU MUST be a package deal in order to have a firm grip on the Florida market, while being able to cut MAJOR costs in travel. I do disagree that for FAU, you should look at what FIU has to offer. FAU does have a brand new stadium, and is in a different media market than FIU, which is in the same market dominated by UM and pro sports. FAU will also be getting a new basketball arena and baseball stadium by the end of the decade at most.

UNT, y'all are a shoe-in, in our opinions.

Utah St, great fan support and decent market.

WKU or MTSU, we think WKU has the facilities and the marketing possibility to make the jump.

UTSA, the fact that they're in a market like San An, is hardly even fair. Some think if UNT gets the invite, San An won't. Do y'all think San An is a must? Or maybe some type of package deal? Metroplex and San Antonio.

Temple, we aren't sold on them as much as everybody else is. Can somebody explain why, except for the fact that they're in Philly? Which, I see as much more of a pro market then a college one.

Those of us down here in Boca are thinking these schools have the best shot:

First FIU and FAU MUST be a package deal in order to have a firm grip on the Florida market, while being able to cut MAJOR costs in travel. I do disagree that for FAU, you should look at what FIU has to offer. FAU does have a brand new stadium, and is in a different media market than FIU, which is in the same market dominated by UM and pro sports. FAU will also be getting a new basketball arena and baseball stadium by the end of the decade at most.

UNT, y'all are a shoe-in, in our opinions.

Utah St, great fan support and decent market.

WKU or MTSU, we think WKU has the facilities and the marketing possibility to make the jump.

UTSA, the fact that they're in a market like San An, is hardly even fair. Some think if UNT gets the invite, San An won't. Do y'all think San An is a must? Or maybe some type of package deal? Metroplex and San Antonio.

Temple, we aren't sold on them as much as everybody else is. Can somebody explain why, except for the fact that they're in Philly? Which, I see as much more of a pro market then a college one.

I can't speak for everyone in here. Part of why I have been hearing FIU is their academics are supposed to be very good. I'm not saying that yours isn't but that is what I hear is part of their appeal. I think the primary thing is both of you would bring Florida and that's big for TV/Market and for some of the CUSA schools it will help their recruiting. I love your stadium and that is great to hear you are getting a new basketball arena.

On Temple - again academics and their TV market (Philly) is big.

The Good on UTSA - I've been real clear in here that UTSA would be a welcome addition for me primarily because we lack any Texas teams in the Belt and our fans love San Antonio as a destination city. It's essentially like a mini vacation trip for us. I like that their stadium is right downtown where all of the action is and they clearly have a good market to offer as well. I would be elated to see us go from having zero Texas schools to 3 (UTEP, Rice, UTSA) in our conference. They seem to have enthusiastic fans and you can't question their attendance which was impressive.

The not so good on UTSA - UTSA is fighting the same uphill climb that we had to when we moved back up to I-A in that they have sub par facilities and funding...they also have a long way to go in terms of the caliber of play. It's hard to get good athletes without facilities. I think it will take them several years to get their talent and scholarships to where they need to be. Getting into a better conference could help them get some big money folks in SA to take notice and give money to help them get their facilities up to par. It's one thing when you have a brand new team and everyone is excited, as compared when you go years without winning and some of the fanfare. It's a tough road and I wish them well but it will take a commitment from their leadership and the San Antonio community. I also think they may get some political negativity from UTEP because both of them are part of the UT Austin system and don't want to battle each other for resources...

When it comes it academics, FAU and FIU are about the same, and in the middle of the road when they're compared to the other public univesities here in Florida. The main difference is that they pull from two different types of students. FIU is very big when it comes to pulling international students (shocking, I know), and the other students are kids that wished that they got into UMiami, and their attendence at their football games (with a good team) proves that. FAU is pretty much on the same level that UCF and USF were in around 5-10 years ago.

I'm not sold for the whole market case when it comes to cities in the Northeast. People thought Rutgers and UConn would be big for the Big East for the NYC market, but fact of the matter is, not enough people up there care for college football. Academically, Temple makes sense, but that's all I see in them.

UTSA does seem like it has potential, but facilities is a hige factor. How many univerities are in the UT system, and how many of them play football?

Why not schools like Sam Houston St. (a close descendent of mine) or Texas St?

Also, some of us have thrown around Ga St. or Ga Southern. What do y'all think?

And again our name is nowhere to be seen from someone that would have a little bit of knowledge about what is actually occurring.

Very disappointing.

I wouldn't pay to much attention to Natalicio. I lived in El Paso and her reputation was awful. Her lip service and politics were bad too. All my friends who went to UTEP say she is full of it and running their school into the ground from their standpoint. I could care less what she says. I would love for us to play UTEP more. I just don't care to hear from that individual.

When it comes it academics, FAU and FIU are about the same, and in the middle of the road when they're compared to the other public univesities here in Florida. The main difference is that they pull from two different types of students. FIU is very big when it comes to pulling international students (shocking, I know), and the other students are kids that wished that they got into UMiami, and their attendence at their football games (with a good team) proves that. FAU is pretty much on the same level that UCF and USF were in around 5-10 years ago.

I'm not sold for the whole market case when it comes to cities in the Northeast. People thought Rutgers and UConn would be big for the Big East for the NYC market, but fact of the matter is, not enough people up there care for college football. Academically, Temple makes sense, but that's all I see in them.

UTSA does seem like it has potential, but facilities is a hige factor. How many univerities are in the UT system, and how many of them play football?

You are related to Sam Houston??? Bada$$!!! That is good stuff if I took your meaning correctly.

Yeah, it's great because of all the things he's done for Texas with the fight for independence, up to his roll as governor of the state, not wanting to secede and being forced to step down because of it. Sadly, not many people over here know much about Texas history, even in the history department. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's great because of all the things he's done for Texas with the fight for independence, up to his roll as governor of the state, not wanting to secede and being forced to step down because of it. Sadly, not many people over here know much about Texas history, even in the history department. :rolleyes:

Hey, that means we're related. Welcome to GMG, cousin!

• Upvote 1

Methuselah? :lol: Welcome aboard.

• Upvote 2

Insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Chasing markets is why the once really good MWC and CUSA are in the position of believing they need to merge.

Other than UAB, Tulane, Rice, and UNLV all the market teams have left.

As Harry and I have discussed UNT and MTSU aren't true large market schools like Houston Memphis, FIU that are close to the heart of their metro.

Edited by Arkstfan