Carthel

Cr1028

59 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

@FirefightnRick, did you see TAMU-C won the D2 national championship? I know you were always real high on the Carthel’s.

Yessir I did.  Commerce was what, 1-11 before they got there?  

Either father or son would have been a great hire instead of Dodge.  Those guys know their business.

Rick

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

If we had hired Don Carthel instead of Dodge, he would have run (pretty much) the same offense. But Don Carthel would have provided the added bonus of being willing (and able) to go to every organization in Denton and talk up NT football. 

The guy was out of coaching for 15 years and then went in to WTAMU and had them 10-1 his first year.

http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/cm/cm1404/qacarthel.htm

Around the time that Dodge was hired, I sent Coach Carthel an e-mail and asked him if anyone from NT had contacted him about the job opening. His only response "I would love to hear from NT about the job". 

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I thought I read that Carthel got WTAM on probation for paying benefits to players? If that is true, he will never be a head coach at UNT...we will never get close to the line on that kind of situation. 

That was the father, not the son.  The younger Carthel won the D2 championship.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was talking to the people who were reminiscing about daddy Carthel being hired instead of Dodge. 

He used the future tense - "I thought I read that Carthel got WTAM on probation for paying benefits to players? If that is true, he will never be a head coach at UNT...we will never get close to the line on that kind of situation."  I assumed he was referring to the subject of the thread.