'18 JUCO RB Deandre Torrey (MGCCC)

BillySee58

5'9" 182 lb Freshman running back at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Originally from Gautier, MS. We have offered. Has rushed for 1,298 yards and 12 touchdowns this season. Qualified out of high school so does not need to finish his associate's degree and is eligible to play division 1 ball next year.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4244436/deandre-torrey

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

26 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

5'9" 182 lb Freshman running back at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Originally from Gautier, MS. We have offered. Has rushed for 1,298 yards and 12 touchdowns this season. Qualified out of high school so does not need to finish his associate's degree and is eligible to play division 1 ball next year.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4244436/deandre-torrey

Tashard Choice and Coach Koonz are recruiting this kid. He seems really interested in NOrth Texas. Trying to plan a visit soon. Believe he has 4 to play 3 after this year. WIth Smith Johnson Siggers and Torrey you would have a really nice young RB room

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Man he cuts once and is gone. That one cut running style would be great in this offense.

Completely agree

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Tashard Choice and Coach Koonz are recruiting this kid. He seems really interested in NOrth Texas. Trying to plan a visit soon. Believe he has 4 to play 3 after this year. WIth Smith Johnson Siggers and Torrey you would have a really nice young RB room

Yeah, 4 to play 3. Graduated HS in 2017, and is a qualifier

Edited by BillySee58

I wonder if he's getting any other looks. I watched his film, and honestly don't think it matters. 

He has real speed. He doesn't dance and gets up field. Even with that, he's pretty patient and has good vision. Would love to see the mismatch he could create with a linebacker on a wheel route.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

So is the plan to keep Siggers at RB? Or is he still projected to play slot as well

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean,  I don' t see him unseating Nic Smith as the starter..., and who knows what Siggers has been up to, but he looks pretty good.

@BTG_Fan1, THIS is the kind of guy that can come in and push guys like Smith & Johnson to be better, and possibly take their jobs.

When was it said they had locked up the job? 

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

When was it said they had locked up the job? 

No one said that my man.
I'm throwing out that prediction, based on his performance this year.   Nic Smith will enter the Spring as the starting RB.  I bet he keeps that job, unless this fella just kicks in the door and torches everyone during Spring.   And if he does, Smith will have to work hard to keep up... which, when listening to the players talk about Smith's work ethic any time he's brought up... won't be a problem.
This is the healthy kind of competition you're talking about.    Some guys/positions need that kind of competition.   Others don't.
Just trying to use another example to help make a broader point.

On 11/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Choice and Koonz make for a formidable recruiting tandem.  If I was a player it would be hard to say no to them. 

On 11/9/2017 at 9:55 PM, dmaxel said:

Wow he's explosive. If we get him, imagine in two years... Mason Fine a senior, Jalen Guyton a senior, and Deandre a junior. Plus a more experienced supporting cast at offense and hopefully some extra help at defense.

14-0 anyone?

Don't sleep on Smith.  This would be a solid pick up for sure, 

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

Love this pick-up for the reasons stated above but would still like to see us have a big back option in our arsenal.

As @aztecskin mentioned on the podcast, it's looking more and more like North Texas is leaning towards the agile, shifty, explosive back, rather than a bruiser. Air raid predicates itself on the individual exploding for huge gains on short plays. I think Torrey in particular would be really good in the short pass game.

But I would loooooooooove a bruiser.