MGB: Why should UNT pick Morris? Here are 9 quick points

Brett Vito

Looks like Vito finally got his parking pass.

A few things of note:

It’s going to look at whole lot different in the fall when the bullets start flying. Morris is 6-4 and a whole lot better built to handle that change, especially behind a shaky offensive line, than Shanbour, who is 6-feet tall, and under 200 pounds.

He's also a whole lot less mobile than Shanbour. If I have a shaky offensive line I want a Russell Wilson, not a Joe Flacco.

4. Fifth-year senior transfer quarterbacks have worked before at other schools

The best path to success in college athletics sometimes is to see what has worked other places and follow the same path. Louisiana Tech has won bowl games the last two years behind fifth-year senior transfers Cody Sokol and Jeff Driskel.

La Tech has been running the air raid for years now. The players knew the system and had run it before they got there. This is Littrell's first year and doesn't have the players that La Tech did with Sokol and Driskel

• Upvote 5

The most important thing Bret Vito said was that, "if NT goes 3-9 with Morris sitting on the bench..."  I couldn't agree more.  How does North Texas, or any school for that matter, put an ALABAMA transfer in a green jersey and not let him play. 

If Morris sits against SMU, and the story line is that Morris wasn't good enough to play at ALABAMA or North Texas, we'd better go 12-0 with whoever is at QB.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

The most important thing Bret Vito said was that, "if NT goes 3-9 with Morris sitting on the bench..."  I couldn't agree more.  How does North Texas, or any school for that matter, put an ALABAMA transfer in a green jersey and not let him play. 

If Morris sits against SMU, and the story line is that Morris wasn't good enough to play at ALABAMA or North Texas, we'd better go 12-0 with whoever is at QB.

GO MEAN GREEN

Because Alabama is known for its' stellar QB play? Not sure that having been there means that he should start. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

MGB: UNT should go with Alec Morris at quarterback. Here are nine quick points

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/04/why-alec-morris-is-unts-best-option-at-qb.html/

The key is 15 practices learning a new system. Maybe because of size but I thought at times I was watching DT! Inconsistent kind of somes it up. The timing was not there, but as been stated that will come with practice! GMG 

58 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not to derail the thread, but Vito is in 100% RV defense mode. No one is naming anyone better than anyone. I just think that it MAY be closer then what initially put out. 

*And no one cares where Morris comes from. Honest to God truth. 

That like saying we don't care how many stars or offers a kid has. On field performance is the key but we should have a better chance for success with a Bama kid then a walk on! Wait did Saben screw up?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You can bet your rear end that if UNT rolls out there and goes 3-9 with Morris sitting on the bench, it’s going to be used against the Mean Green’s coaches in recruiting. It might also give future transfers, DFW quarterbacks and recruits in general a moment of pause

So does that mean that politics is more important than a player that demonstrated better ability in practice? . Or does it mean that the assessment skills of our coaches will suffer greatly in the eyes of local coaches and potential transfers if Morris sits and we end up with pretty much the same record as we would with Morris starting?

To me our coaching staff is clearly not in a "play it safe mode" when it comes to evaluating the players that they've been given to work with. Two QB's have left and a QB that never even got mentioned for two years  is now running a close second to the starter.  

If anyone is open minded about the situation, what they might/should see going on with the present coaching staff is "show me what you got and you'll get a fair assessment". And this should be clear to any HS coach and prospective recruit/transfer out there.

But what do I know? I'm still living in the fantasy world of ability/performance counts more than politics.....or a coaches ego.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

And no, Riley Dodge doesn’t count as a top quarterback prospect.

There is one coach who would have rolled him out there at quarterback early in his career at his size and, again, he’s back in the high school ranks

The UT coaching staff told Riley that they were going to start him out at QB.  Maybe they were lying; maybe that was just their plan to lure him in so they could play him somewhere else.  But you don't know that as anything more than speculation, @Brett Vito, so quit throwing it out there as though it were fact.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The key is 15 practices learning a new system. Maybe because of size but I thought at times I was watching DT! Inconsistent kind of somes it up. The timing was not there, but as been stated that will come with practice! GMG 

That like saying we don't care how many stars or offers a kid has. On field performance is the key but we should have a better chance for success with a Bama kid then a walk on! Wait did Saben screw up?

Saban just won a National Championship with a graduate transfer QB

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The UT coaching staff told Riley that they were going to start him out at QB.  Maybe they were lying; maybe that was just their plan to lure him in so they could play him somewhere else.  But you don't know that as anything more than speculation, @Brett Vito, so quit throwing it out there as though it were fact.

Yes, staffs lie to recruits...probably every day. 

1 minute ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Saban just won a National Championship with a graduate transfer QB

Yeah, with 5-star players all around him at virtually every position. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Apparently. The Bama fan base would consider Morris a big recruiting whiff. A 4 year QB with 0 passing attempts. 

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Tell us something we all don't already know.  But do you and your buddy Brett know for a fact that specific statement was a lie?

I have no idea. I really don't know much about what you are talking about. I do know that staffs lie and lie and lie and lie and lie. ANYTHING to get a recruit to stick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

MGB: UNT should go with Alec Morris at quarterback. Here are nine quick points

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/04/why-alec-morris-is-unts-best-option-at-qb.html/

Brett, if Morris was an "honest to goodness top college prospect" he wouldn't have transferred from Alabama as a 4th year senior buried at #3 on the depth chart, beaten out for the #2 job by a freshman.

Hyperbole much?

He is a nice addition to COMPETE for the starting job. 

I really didn't even read past #1. When you start out with an extreme misstatement, why would I?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Brett, if Morris was an "honest to goodness top college prospect" he wouldn't have transferred from Alabama as a 4th year senior buried at #3 on the depth chart, beaten out for the #2 job by a freshman.

Hyperbole much?

I really didn't even read past #1. When you start out with an extreme misstatement, why would I?

Give UNT any 2 or 3rd string qb from a top twenty program! I would be smiling!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Dumbest post I think you have ever posted. Because there are shut down defenses all over the country, let me tell you. 

No, not nearly the dumbest post.  I've also posted about driving to Norman OK, Clemson SC and Fayetteville AR to watch another ALL OFFENSIVE MINDED team play without a solid defense.  THEN...I actually witnessed the slaughters in person. 

Now THAT was dumb!

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Hyperbole much?

I didn't really either. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Well, let's see. UNT had an OREGON 4 star transfer at LB that made such an impact I can't remember his name.

UNT had an OKLAHOMA 3 star wide receiver as a transfer that couldn't catch a cold.

UNT had an ARKANSAS transfer 4 star OL that couldn't break the 2 deep.

Morris was a 3 star recruit that oversigned at Alabama. He couldn't break the 2 deep at QB.

Saying he absolutely will be a good, much less a great, player at UNT is spitting in the face of history.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Hyperbole much?

Fourth-string QB at Alabama > anything UNT has had pretty much ever

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 6