Email From Pres Smatresk. Anybody Know What Was Going On?

I resent the statement that students are all fragile now... that is ridiculous. Students now have a way to instantaneously voice their opinion and organize themselves, which is a good thing. also, I find it very funny that his sweatshirt says God loves a humble heart while his banner reeks of unparalleled narcissism. 

Seriously. His whole act screams out, "hey look at me, I'm the best Christian ever!"

Religious EXTREMISTs are never good ...

They think they have the answers and the rest of us are idiots, pagans,  or worse...  Same applies to any group... Christian, Islamic etc. .... 

That is the root of most problems in the Middle East now ... Religious Extremism.... 

In the West we have had witch trials, the Inquisition, IRA bombings, and Nazis trying to wipe out the Jewish religion. Extremism is never good.....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3

They think they have the answers and the rest of us are idiots, pagans,  or worse...  Same applies to any group... Christian, Islamic etc. .... 

That is the root of most problems in the Middle East now ... Religious Extremism.... 

In the West we have had witch trials, the Inquisition, and Nazis trying to wipe out the Jewish religion. Extremism is never good.....

We have extremism in our politics.  It's why nothing substantial is getting done on our biggest domestic problems.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

Yep ... been that way mostly for past 10-15 years ....  Need to compromise some as they once did.... but there are some  that won't and you can't just let them get their way all the time and on everything. ...  [ Cruz seems to be the worst.... even a lot of older type GOP people can't stand him  meanwhile the debt climbs rapidly and has since 2001 .. that is not conservative ]  

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Careful Rudy, he's concerned about what's inside your pocket.

Rick

I think it was a lame ass attempt at a Mayberry joke. Although, judging by the rest of the post, he has a strong addiction to nuts. 

Back to the topic at hand, I find it odd and troubling that some asshat with a sign warrants an email from the president, but not the actions of a high level employee who publicly embarrassed the university.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I think it was a lame ass attempt at a Mayberry joke. Although, judging by the rest of the post, he has a strong addiction to nuts. 

Back to the topic at hand, I find it odd and troubling that some asshat with a sign warrants an email from the president, but not the actions of a high level employee who publicly embarrassed the university.

1.  I do love nuts...pecans and almonds are pretty much my favorite. 

2.  I thought it was a pretty decent reference to Barney Fife. 

3.  President Smatresk and the University put out several communications regarding the Dr. Bland situation.

4.  Are you sure you are talking about the correct asshat?

5.  Carry on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

In the West we have had witch trials, the Inquisition, IRA bombings, and Nazis trying to wipe out the Jewish religion. Extremism is never good.....

We?

Witch trials = 320+ years ago, America wasn't even a country yet, but still a British colony
Inquisition = Spain...1492
IRA = Ireland
Nazis = Germany

None of those was in the United States of America.  We were not part of any of those.  Especially trying to tie "we" into Nazism and the IRA. 

There is no American comparison to what the muslims do in the name of islam. 

Utterly ridiculous.

poor little protected snow flakes must have gotten their little feelings hurt and mommy was not there to pop her tit back in their mouth.

Good grief just ignore the guy and he goes away, maybe they should start teaching the Constitution again, 1st Amendment and what not.

This is not what that email was about.

A "minister" of some kind was literally screaming at people, getting in their faces, and really unnerving people with threats, both veiled and blatant. He did not do this only to students, but to UNT staff and faculty as well. There were a whole lot of complaints. This guy was hard to just ignore.

Yes, First Amendment and whatnot, I know. The First Amendment prevents the government with interfering with your right to free speech. It does not, however, shield you from repercussions when you exercise that right and it negatively affects others, putting them in the position of feeling the need to protect themselves. I'm guessing that the letter from the President-- and any other actions he took, which I know nothing about-- were steps he took to protect UNT students, faculty, and staff.

• Upvote 2

Name our "biggest domestic problems" that not "getting done."

Reducing our nation's carbon footprint.

Finding a rational solution to illegal immigration.

Rapidly increasing income disparity.

Developing an educational system that actually educates.

Providing security without sacrificing freedom.

Need more?

• Upvote 1

I have a great deal of respect for you.  I have seen you post this sentiment on more than one occasion.  I would, however, caution you to avoid the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Of the Christians in my life that I've most respected, a common quality among them was restraint from telling other people how to practice religion or categorizing people as truly religious or falsely religious.  They instead made these assertions by living by humble example, never proclaiming themselves to be correct, or pure, or right.

These Westboroesque people come around, best thing is to simply move along.  Neither support nor rebuke.  Just keep moving.  They're fishing for reaction.  I have never figured out why, but that is clearly their intent. 

Ignoring may be the best policy, however the Texan in me wishes someone would just knock that A-Hold out. Preferably one of our LGBT brothers or sisters. If they followed it up with "Who you calling (insert hate speech) now Bitch!

I love this country but the day you couldn't smack a guy in the mouth for writing checks his rear end couldn't cash seemed to be a change for the worst.

Go Mean Green, Beat UTEP!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I resent the statement that students are all fragile now... that is ridiculous. 

Not all,..and I'm no fan of the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia,...but some students are pretty fragile.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/25/university-students-comforted-counseling-seeing-confederate-flag-laptop/

University students in Massachusetts who were upset by an image of a Confederate flag sticker on another student’s laptop were offered counseling services at Framingham State University.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1