Alec Morris - Allen HS QB class of 2012

BillySee58

Originally I wanted to just bump Morris' original thread, but that thread is extremely difficult to open, both on mobile and on desktop, so I just decided to create a new thread. This is a kid worth keeping an eye on, IMO.

Out of high school he was the starting QB at Allen his junior and senior year, and we did offer back in the summer of 2011 but he committed to Wake Forest, then Alabama where he still is. Those were his only three offers. He is a redshirt junior, and reportedly almost won Alabama's starting job out of camp, but it was given to Senior Jacob Coker with RS Sophomore Cooper Bateman receiving the other reps. I think there's a very realistic chance this kid becomes a grad transfer, so long as that rule does not get changed, as it has been reported that it may. In that scenario I'd imagine he would want to come close to home, and we may be the best option that would actually offer, although La Tech could make a push as well if they continue their trend that has worked.

Mccarney has stated in his radio show that he doesn't want grad transfers because they'll only be here a year, but if we get a new coach Morris could be a realistic option, allowing the new coach time to develop a QB. I could see Morris putting up a DT-like senior year (slightly above 1:1 td/int ratio). Just someone to potentially have on our radars.

http://m.rolltide.com/m/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alec_morris_811296.html

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/25279590/report-alec-morris-now-leading-alabama-quarterback-competition

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Alec-Morris-123490

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJYFkTumLo

• Upvote 4

Who cares if they are here one year! If they are better skilled and can produce winning drives then let them all transfer here! 

La Tech appears to be on their way towards a second consecutive division title with a second straight grad transfer QB. This kid almost won the job at Alabama. I highly doubt anyone on our roster could almost win the job at Alabama.

• Upvote 2

One would think Mac would want to win now to keep his job but he's been known to surprise us with his mediocrity. What year is SMU's QB? The reason for the question is SMU would be a better option for him

I would absolutely love to have the kid

Matt Davis at SMU is a junior. We are Morris' best bet to play FBS ball close to his hometown. TCU likely won't offer, with Kenny Hill redshirting and likely taking over. I could see La Tech offering, to replace their current grad transfer Jeff Driskel. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Matt Davis at SMU is a junior. We are Morris' best bet to play FBS ball close to his hometown. TCU likely won't offer, with Kenny Hill redshirting and likely taking over. I could see La Tech offering, to replace their current grad transfer Jeff Driskel

Probably right... unless they're developing someone currently?

And if LATech offers, why on earth wouldn't he go there?  Sokol, now Driskel... they now have a track record for this, and it's working.

fixed

ya know, I try to be nice but it basically never tells the whole story at this point. As bad as things are. But yeah, comparing our QB situation to Alabama's (even when nationally it isn't perceived as good, relatively speaking) is just laughable.

Probably right... unless they're developing someone currently?

And if LATech offers, why on earth wouldn't he go there?  Sokol, now Driskel... they now have a track record for this, and it's working.

I'd like to think a good recruiting coach could sell him on playing his last season 40 miles away from his home vs. 270 miles from his home, with likely 9 games his senior year in the state of Texas, and with a much nicer stadium to play in. Would not be easy to beat them out, hypothetically, but it also should be very realistically achievable.

La Tech appears to be on their way towards a second consecutive division title with a second straight grad transfer QB. This kid almost won the job at Alabama. I highly doubt anyone on our roster could almost win the job at North Texas

fixed

Fixed your fixed

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Him and Coach Perry are now following each other. I know it doesn't mean much but definitely during the dead period it at least gives us something to keep an eye on. Especially since they can communicate that way and it isn't really restricted.

and he graduated last weekend so could he enroll at North Texas in the spring?

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2015 at 9:49 PM, BillySee58 said:

Originally I wanted to just bump Morris' original thread, but that thread is extremely difficult to open, both on mobile and on desktop, so I just decided to create a new thread. This is a kid worth keeping an eye on, IMO.

Out of high school he was the starting QB at Allen his junior and senior year, and we did offer back in the summer of 2011 but he committed to Wake Forest, then Alabama where he still is. Those were his only three offers. He is a redshirt junior, and reportedly almost won Alabama's starting job out of camp, but it was given to Senior Jacob Coker with RS Sophomore Cooper Bateman receiving the other reps. I think there's a very realistic chance this kid becomes a grad transfer, so long as that rule does not get changed, as it has been reported that it may. In that scenario I'd imagine he would want to come close to home, and we may be the best option that would actually offer, although La Tech could make a push as well if they continue their trend that has worked.

Mccarney has stated in his radio show that he doesn't want grad transfers because they'll only be here a year, but if we get a new coach Morris could be a realistic option, allowing the new coach time to develop a QB. I could see Morris putting up a DT-like senior year (slightly above 1:1 td/int ratio). Just someone to potentially have on our radars.

http://m.rolltide.com/m/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alec_morris_811296.html

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/25279590/report-alec-morris-now-leading-alabama-quarterback-competition

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Alec-Morris-123490

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJYFkTumLo

good find

Thanks guy. Everyone seems to be freaking out over this in the FF, but this was a move that just always made a lot of sense. He threw one career pass at Alabama, only other offers were from us and Wake Forest, so he was never really an SEC-level QB prospect but he did push for the starting job this year so he can play a little. Again, just always made a lot of sense.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

only other offers were from us and Wake Forest, so he was never really an SEC-level QB prospect 

He committed early to Alabama and made clear that his commitment was very firm.  I can't say that I know he would have received other big-time offers comparable to Alabama, but he certainly would have received more offers if he had played the recruiting field into his senior season.

• Upvote 1

Morris was a three-star recruit out of Allen, Texas in 2012 and was rated the 26th-best pro-style quarterback in the nation, according to the 247Sports Composite. He should be an ideal fit in new North Texas coach Seth Littrell's spread offense that he utilized this season in record-breaking fashion at North Carolina.

Morris was believed to have been the Crimson Tide's frontrunner to start after the first fall scrimmage, but Coker and Bateman were more impressive the rest of the way.

"Alec has done a nice job all (preseason)," Saban said in August. "I think he does a really good job of understanding the offense. He helps the other players play better. And I think that he has probably shown command at the position, which I think is important. We've just got to continue to work on touch, accuracy, efficiency. But I've been really pleased with what Alec has done in this camp."

read more:  http://247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Alabama-QB-transferring-to-North-Texas-42336212

56 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He committed early to Alabama and made clear that his commitment was very firm.  I can't say that I know he would have received other big-time offers comparable to Alabama, but he certainly would have received more offers if he had played the recruiting field into his senior season.

August right before a QB's senior year is actually a pretty late commitment. Especially for a QB. He was definitely good enough to get offered by more than the 3 FBS teams that did, but he also had plenty of chances to get more than the 3 offers he had.

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

August right before a QB's senior year is actually a pretty late commitment. Especially for a QB. He was definitely good enough to get offered by more than the 3 FBS teams that did, but he also had plenty of chances to get more than the 3 offers he had.

Well, regardless, I don't think you'll find any other pro-style QBs out of Texas that year that had significantly better offer lists.

I'm also not sure what "SEC-level QB prospect" means, as the top QBs are just as likely to go to another P5 conference as the SEC.  To say he's not an SEC-level QB prospect pretty much means the same thing as saying he's not a P5-level QB prospect, right?

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, regardless, I don't think you'll find any other pro-style QBs out of Texas that year that had significantly better offer lists.

I'm also not sure what "SEC-level QB prospect" means, as the top QBs are just as likely to go to another P5 conference as the SEC.  To say he's not an SEC-level QB prospect pretty much means the same thing as saying he's not a P5-level QB prospect, right?

Right.

I agree. It's always been a good fit for both sides, regardless of how highly recruited he was out of high school. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...