Is size overrated?

Harry

A&M DC Chavis:

"Football has changed a good bit, and we’ve had to tweak things,” Chavis told the Dallas Morning News. “But ultimately, we’ve got a simple philosophy. We’re going to play the run with numbers, we’re going to try to outnumber you in the box, get an unblocked player to the point of attack, and we’re going to rush the passer with speed. When you say that, you better have corners that can handle those one-on-one situations.

"We’re never going to sacrifice speed for size. We’re going to get as much speed on the field as we can."

read more:  http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/chavis-talks-texas-a-m-defense-makes-bold-claim-083115

Edited by Harry

A&M DC Chavis:

"Football has changed a good bit, and we’ve had to tweak things,” Chavis told the Dallas Morning News. “But ultimately, we’ve got a simple philosophy. We’re going to play the run with numbers, we’re going to try to outnumber you in the box, get an unblocked player to the point of attack, and we’re going to rush the passer with speed. When you say that, you better have corners that can handle those one-on-one situations.

"We’re never going to sacrifice speed for size. We’re going to get as much speed on the field as we can."

read more:  http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/chavis-talks-texas-a-m-defense-makes-bold-claim-083115

Chavis has been recruiting at LSU and now at A&M. He hasn't really had to sacrifice anything. He has been able to find guys with enough size and speed to make his defenses special. 

I like to see speed at every where but DT. I want big guys who can clog the middle and keep the OL off my fast guys who can tackle. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry to reign the topic back in a bit, but here's an interesting look at LSU's success in defending spread offenses while Chavis was there...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

How LSU builds defenses that shut down spread offenses

I. The foundation: Personnel choices

You can't talk about what makes LSU's defense so effective and versatile without first acknowledging that Les Miles assembles some amazing athletes in Baton Rouge. Part of this is simply a luxury of being the only power-conference program in the state that has the highest rate of DI athletes per capita in the entire country.

However, LSU selects certain types of players for its defense. They prize length and athleticism along the defensive line, assembling players with ideal NFL measurables that don't stick around for their senior years, yet aren't terribly missed.

At linebacker, the Tigers tend to go for athletes in the 220-to-240-pound range who can hold up well enough in coverage, change direction on the run, and shoot into the backfield with explosiveness on a blitz or after diagnosing a play.

And in the secondary, despite relying heavily on man coverage, the Tigers rarely make exceptions in their quest to find the rangiest athletes available. Adding up all their defensive backs taken in 2015 (thus far) back to 2010, you'll find 17 of their 21 DBs were at least six feet tall. Exceptions were made for Tyrann Mathieu and Micah Eugene for obvious reasons, as both players had extraordinary quickness.

When it comes time to play a spread team, LSU has no shortage of tall, physical pass-rushers and defensive backs to shrink the field back down when spread teams try to use wide alignments to spread them out. As Sport Science noted of the legendary 2011 LSU secondary ...

I think a similar approach on a different scale could be applied at North Texas and, in fact, see that in the players being recruited & the staff being hired.  I'm becoming increasingly excited about the next few years of this program's defense. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry to reign the topic back in a bit, but here's an interesting look at LSU's success in defending spread offenses while Chavis was there...

I think a similar approach on a different scale could be applied at North Texas and, in fact, see that in the players being recruited & the staff being hired.  I'm becoming increasingly excited about the next few years of this program's defense. 

94136-does-this-guy-know-how-to-part-fVP

• Upvote 3