A couple of quick-hit opinions on QBs, attendance

Harry

The two big issues of the day following UNT’s 42-21 loss to Louisiana Tech last night at Apogee Stadium are UNT’s quarterback problems and attendance issues. Here are a couple of quick thoughts on each:

UNT has to look at other options at quarterback:

We will get into this in the paper tomorrow, but UNT has to take a long hard look at what its options are at quarterback. Josh Greer has started the first three games of the year and struggled.

UNT ranked No. 123 out of 124 teams nationally heading into last night’s game in passing offense with an average of 61.5 yards a game.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/09/a-couple-of-quick-hit-opinions-on-qbs-attendance.html/

From the article:

Dan McCarney and offensive coordinator Mike Canales have said that Williams isn’t ready while praising Greer and backup Andrew McNulty for being in the office all the time and being students of the game. Williams has some off=the-field responsibilities as a new father and might not put in the time and effort off the field as his counterparts, but he has shown flashes of being a productive player when it matters.

If that is the reason DW can't get a start then the coaches really have to ask themselves what they are trying to accomplish.

Are they paid by the hour? Is there some sort of CUSA award for "most time spent in the film room?" Or are they here to win football games.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I hope we don't go to bowl this year. This team is not a team that should play in any bowl. Start looking to next season and develop the younger players and find a qb who is at least average.

Why not ? From what I saw, we have only one real glaring weakness. If that weakness is addressed, we could still be a pretty decent team. But, that is a big if.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

I hope we don't go to bowl this year. This team is not a team that should play in any bowl. Start looking to next season and develop the younger players and find a qb who is at least average.

So you'd like to see all of the momentum we built last season evaporate? That's an interesting theory.

• Upvote 3

Vito is clueless about attendance. He wants to just write off 8 years of Alumni because football was not winning between 2005-12. I know Vito hated Dodge back then but we had exciting offenses (much more exciting than this year), just no defense. He says selling new freshman is all that is needed and we'll be fine. Really?

How about some real advertising to DFW, not just Denton? Some (many) Alums don't tweet and AD emails seem to be only to a select few, most MGC members don't even get them. The reason the Alum side is half empty is the half effort to attract and keep them. Playing 11am games, Thursday night games, Idaho, Texas Southern, Nichols St., the F_U schools will not attract a fan to see a team without a QB if there are other entertainment options...and there are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree with NT80. So far we have been very boring to watch after 3 games. We won easily against SMU but that was because of the defense. We did virtually nothing on offense in that game.

Attendance actually increased during the Dodge years. Because of buzz. We don't have that now, and one year of 8 wins and a bowl victory followed by 3 very boring games with two at our most difficult kick times is not surprising at the attendance.

• Upvote 1

While I'm not ready to write off everyone who attended during the Dodge years, Vito has some very valid points about the attendance. Folks, we are never going to grow attendance depending on people coming to so who we are playing. That has been tried repeatedly and never had worked. TCU tried it and failed. SMU tried "Mustang Mania" it and failed. The Rangers spend nearly $18 million on a campaign of "come see the teams you grew up with when the come to Arlington" and it failed.

The Rangers and TCU made significant changes in their attendance by first winning more and second encouraging people to come see the HOME TEAM no matter whom they are playing. One of the things Gary Patterson started early with talking to incoming freshman every chance he had, just like Mac does. Building a fan base means changing the basic attitudes and that isn't an overnight process. Get students into the habit of coming to games, make coming to the games fun and the attendance problems will get better.

Blindly spending a lot of money on advertising didn't work for SMU, it didn't work for the Rangers and it won't work for us. There are no short cuts, this is going to take a long time to fix.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I agree 100% with Vito. If people want to show up to games, they will. I still think the AD could do more groundwork outside of Denton, but the reality is that there is no magic bullet.

I'm sorry, but nearly everyone carries a damn computer in their pocket anymore, and they can't be bothered to look up the UNT football schedule? Not buying it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

While I'm not ready to write off everyone who attended during the Dodge years, Vito has some very valid points about the attendance. Folks, we are never going to grow attendance depending on people coming to so who we are playing. That has been tried repeatedly and never had worked. TCU tried it and failed. SMU tried "Mustang Mania" it and failed. The Rangers spend nearly $18 million on a campaign of "come see the teams you grew up with when the come to Arlington" and it failed.

The Rangers and TCU made significant changes in their attendance by first winning more and second encouraging people to come see the HOME TEAM no matter whom they are playing. One of the things Gary Patterson started early with talking to incoming freshman every chance he had, just like Mac does. Building a fan base means changing the basic attitudes and that isn't an overnight process. Get students into the habit of coming to games, make coming to the games fun and the attendance problems will get better.

Blindly spending a lot of money on advertising didn't work for SMU, it didn't work for the Rangers and it won't work for us. There are no short cuts, this is going to take a long time to fix.

ThIs!

The only thing I see wrong with your post is you need to say how you know more than everyone else, it would be easy to fix, you have a high standard and everyone else is accepting failure, etc.