DW and the extra time till Nicholls St.

Cerebus

I don't see any way Dajon does not start. If he does not then that decision has to be coming from Mac I would guess. It's very clear who has the best arm and who can make the plays, Dajon is a duel threat. He made some great plays out of the pocket and gave his receivers time which Greer could not do. He also actually looks down more then one receiver which Greer does not,

Oh no guys. This is our philosophy. Let's give Greer another shot. Maybe he'll have his break out game vs Nichols. I think 3 starts is not enough. We need to give him a chance so we play it close with Nichols. The team needs a close game to give them hope. Start Greer v Nichols and lets make it a game.

Pitiful. 8 punts in a row to start the game and then a fumble on our 9th. The corners playing soft was going to burn us eventually. Their WR's had the hitch, slants, screens, and digs all night b/c 10-12 yard cushions. Then we would "press" and play a 5 yard cushion with no bump and run and they would just toss it over our head. We did a decent job bottling up Dixon, but it wouldn't have mattered if he had negative yards. Their QB is good and with the 16 possessions we allowed them to have he was going to move the football.

Greer doesn't need to see the field the rest of his career at North Texas. He's indecisive, happy feet, stares down receivers, inaccurate, etc. About all of the characteristics you don't want in a QB. Not to bash on him as a person or a player (really), but he does not need to be our starting QB.

DW is our guy this point forward, as he should have been from the get go. If they roll Greer out there next Saturday I might have a stroke. GMG

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3

Let me say the easy out if for Mac will be to just out athlete Nicholls and run run run them over.

1) We can do it.

2) Who gives a &#@%?

We can probably out athlete and run over two or three more teams on our schedule. Everyone else we lose to without a real passing threat. THIS LONG LAYOFF is the only real chance we have this season of rebooting an offense that JUST WON'T WORK.

If we run out the same cast against Nicholls and just try to run them over, I will lose a lot of faith in this staff. I don't care if we beat them by 50. It won't stop Rice or UTSA from curb stomping us.

Use the time to admit a mistake and try to correct it.

• Upvote 1

I was wrong. The schedule is even better than I thought:

9/12: Today, the day the coaches could start getting DW installed as the starter.

9/20: Extra day to prepare against Nicholls St., a perfect FCS tune up.
9/27: A bye week to continue to improve a DW offense.

10/4: Indiana. Will this be a real chance to beat a P5 team, or another UT style whipping since out offense can't move the ball?

The current choices are moving the chains. We will not be bowl eligible if we continue to repeat out mistakes.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 4

I know I keep harping on this, but I really think it's the perfect time to salvage the season. This team is young and inexperienced, it's not as good as last years nine win team, but IT IS good enough to get to bowl eligibility. Bowls are huge because they give the teams a few extra weeks of practice that non bowl teams don't get. Recruits also love them, it makes every coaches recruiting trip easier if next yer we can say "... and we've gone to two straight bowls."

• Upvote 4

I know I keep harping on this, but I really think it's the perfect time to salvage the season. This team is young and inexperienced, it's not as good as last years nine win team, but IT IS good enough to get to bowl eligibility. Bowls are huge because they give the teams a few extra weeks of practice that non bowl teams don't get. Recruits also love them, it makes every coaches recruiting trip easier if next yer we can say "... and we've gone to two straight bowls."

You are right on the money. Coach has a difficult decision. You can tell he clearly doesn't think Dajon is putting in the work that he wants to earn the job. However, you can also tell by evidence that he skipped McNulty that DW is his best bet. Really it i all up to Dajon. If he realizes this is his chance and starts working even harder, then Mac can save face, and the team can believe in the offense again. Will be interesting to see what happens.

But I will say this, rotating in different QB's is not helping any of the QB's. It makes an already tentative guy worried that he is going to get benched.

I don't notice a lot of the subtle details that other do, but one thing I did see from DW on two passes is a bit of a shoulder fake before hitting the receiver on an "up" route. Maybe that's his only tool and if he's never hitting the underneath guy it would be worthless after a few plays, but maybe it shows something beyond just being athletic.

Edited by meaniegreenie

I had work to do and switched off the game in the 3rd quarter. I'm now regretting missing this DW PT. I can see the statline, but would love to hear more from the people who gave him the "eye ball" test.

He poses a threat of having an athlete at QB. DL will have to mush rush him rather than pinning their ears back at Greer. This alone will give us way more time to throw the football. Also he made accurate on time throws. He had one negative play where he tried to scramble but tried to baby the D end inside so he could power hop outside. Defender was able to get a paw on him and trip him up. He isn't afraid of contact, at all. He also isn't afraid to sling the football. He trusts his abilities and that is refreshing all by itself. His best throw was on a go route that he dropped in a well for 28 yards. La Tech switched to a lot of zone rather than man so the secondary could keep an eye on him. That opened up windows and he delivered the football within those windows strongly and without hesitation. I have been saying for months that this guy is the best QB on this roster and he should have been named the starter in spring. We'd be 2-1 right now, no doubt about it.
  • Upvote 1