Rice's Future OC Schedule.

DT 90

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

NT03 did a good job a while back posting a list of G5s that have home games against P5 schools.

But, gosh darnit, RV is such a nice guy, why should we actually expect him to do his job well?

I mean, he cries a lot, he must care, right?

Results? Who cares about results.

Well clearly you'd do such a better job. Easy to schedule teams like you're on EA Sports NCAA behind a keyboard.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Well clearly you'd do such a better job. Easy to schedule teams like you're on EA Sports NCAA behind a keyboard.

I don't get paid handsomely to schedule football games. RV does have this responsibility as part of his job description. He is being out performed by other ADs inside CUSA.

I guess you just don't see that as a problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't get paid handsomely to schedule football games. RV does have this responsibility as part of his job description. He is being out performed by other ADs inside CUSA.

I guess you just don't see that as a problem.

But you've thought so tirelessly about it! You should schedule a sit-down with RV and tell him your thoughts. I think he'd welcome them.

And sure, if you consider scheduling as the only criterion for performance, you'd still be off. This based off the fact that we don't have many P5 schools come to Denton. C'mon man that's a bit far-reaching there. At least we schedule P5 schools.

• Upvote 4

Apparently someone didn't tell these schools about being lucky to play P5 away games.

AAC: (7) UNC @ ECU, TCU & Texas A&M @ SMU, Maryland & NC St @ USF, Georgia Tech @ Tulane, Oklahoma @ Tulsa
MWC: (6) Oregon St & Washington @ Hawaii, Wake Forest @ Utah St, AZ St @ New Mexico, Nebraska @ Fresno St, Washington St @ Nevada,
MAC (6) Indiana @ Bowling Green, Missouri @ Toledo, Baylor @ Buffalo, Syracuse @ Central Michigan, Boston College & Colorado @ UMASS
CUSA (4) Oklahoma St @ UTSA, Texas Tech @ UTEP, Pitt & Louisville @ Florida International
Sun Belt (3) Mississippi St @ South Alabama, Duke @ Troy, Wake Forest @ Louisiana Monroe,
Independents: Virginia @ BYU, Rutgers @ Navy
  • Upvote 1

But you've thought so tirelessly about it! You should schedule a sit-down with RV and tell him your thoughts. I think he'd welcome them.

And sure, if you consider scheduling as the only criterion for performance, you'd still be off. This based off the fact that we don't have many P5 schools come to Denton. C'mon man that's a bit far-reaching there. At least we schedule P5 schools.

"At least we schedule P5 schools."

Well, at least we play football. At least we have a men's basketball team.

At least, at least, at least.

Least is what we are good at, after all.

And as I have said before, RV doesn't need to waste his time talking to me. That is less time spent actually doing something job related.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

There's not enough fans to offset the big paycheck that RV can get. UNT just started winning last year and the attendance still has to improve.

Some say opponents will make attendance increase, but that increase will not be by true UNT fans that will come to most home games.

I asked this before. What is the big selling point for UNT as far as scheduling? Dallas area recruiting? Thats about it.

UNT just started winning, so putting UNT on the schedule would hurt a team's SOS. At least now, RV can sell being a quality opponent.

Comparing UNT to Rice is not a good comparison.

Rice agrees to play in Reliant. IF UNT would agree to play in the cotton bowl, then im sure there would be some teams that would play. But reliant is right down the street from rice. Rice fans are still outnumbered by Texas teams. Even if the game is played at rice stadium.

Houston has the same scheduling threads on thier site. The big teams want to play UH at reliant. reliant is probably the only way they got BYU.

• Upvote 6

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

NT03 did a good job a while back posting a list of G5s that have home games against P5 schools.

But, gosh darnit, RV is such a nice guy, why should we actually expect him to do his job well?

I mean, he cries a lot, he must care, right?

Results? Who cares about results.

I just cut & pasted it from the old thread so it's not updated.

FIU : Louisville , Pittsburgh (2014) Maryland (2016)

FAU : Miami,FL (2016)

WKU : Vanderbilt (2016)

Marshall : Purdue (2015) Louisville (2016)

MTSU : BYU (2014) Vanderbilt (2015 & 2017)

Old Dominion : NC State (2015) Virginia Tech ( 2018 , 2022 & 2024)

UAB : Mississippi St ( TBD)

Louisiana Tech : Mississippi St ( 2016)

Rice : Baylor (2016) Northwestern (2018) Wake Forrest (TBD)

Southern Miss : Mississippi St (2015) BYU ( 2015)

UTEP : Texas Tech (2014) Arizona (TBD)

UTSA : Arizona (2014) Kansas St (2015) Arizona St (2016) Baylor (2018)

We are the only team that doesn't have a home series set up in the future w/ a p5 school

• Upvote 4

The Iowa games are tough to swallow just because we were told that building Apogee would bring in better known teams from AQ leagues for OOC games, teams like IOWA!!

Rice does have the SWC advantage, though, along with capacity flexibiilty and stadium possibilities we don't have, so them getting those opponenets while they are good doesn't surprise me. Now, if La Tech or Texas State start playing big teams in their backyards, while we act like playing SMU and Army at home is some kind of coup, I don't know what to say. Already, the 2015 season will have 5 home games and 1 game that will be sold as a pseudo-home game opportunity (at SMU), so as to pay the bills. I don't even have a problem if that is why we have to continue to schedule the way we do (poors have to do that), just come out and say it. Tell us that an extra road game at an AQ team pays for soccer, volleyball, track, cross country, etc..,maybe then, now that we have stronger facilites and conference affiliation, the alumni will step up to donate even more to help the situation. If the alumni won't stepup to help this, then you really need to ask yourself as a university if we should be playing football at this level and why we even built a stadium as nice as Apogee.

I think RV is bad at scheduling because the BOR makes it clear, still, that spending inordinate figures on football is not acceptable. Playing non-conference games at AQ home stadiums helps to make sure that spending doesn't get too out of hand in the minds of the BOR and administration. I've said it before, but I feel like we are giving about 3/4 effort when it comes to running an athletic department, which beats the hell out of the quarter-ass we used to give. But that final 1/4 of effort we need to employ at UNT in regards to athletic spending is to buy out contracts of people who aren't getting the job done before there is just a year or less left on the contract and it is also about paying more to get more recognizable teams here in Denton for games at Apogee and at The Super Pit. When we get to that point, as well as to increase the sports fee to a level that matches that of power programs like Texas State and UTSA, then I'll fully recognize that UNT has finally begun giving a full effort towards athletics like our other FBS peers in the state and region.

• Upvote 2

So glad we are having this discussion again. It's not like we are saying the same thing that has been said before many times in similar threads.

You do realize that there are new posters here that may not fully grasp this situation, right?

I was like them once upon a time. I thought surely RV was doing everything he could do to bring the best schedule to UNT possible.

Then we had a 5 home game season in 2012. A season that many on this board, including myself, said wouldn't happen because RV would surely adjust the schedule before the season to make sure we had 6 home games. Didn't happen.

So I started looking at future schedules. I observed that there was zero flexibility, with many years already booked with 2 OOC road games while only having 1 OOC home game in multiple years, with one year even having ZERO home games (at the time, that year was 2015).

So I came on here and related this info, telling you guys that the ONLY way out of this terrible scheduling situation was to buy home games in multiple years. Quite frankly, I doubted we would do this. Thankfully, we bought games in 3 straight years, but it still wasn't enough to fix what had already been set in motion.

I would go easier on this AD if he just came out, admitted past mistakes, told us that, yes, we would have to play a 5 game home schedule in 2015, but that he understood that scheduling has been woefully lacking and he would work harder to make it better. But instead he refuses to answer this question, simply stating "we are working on 2015" or something to that effect.

The thing is, 2015 is done. Contracts are signed (including the gawdawful Iowa contract). It's way late in the football scheduling game to first get out of one of those contracts and secondly to buy another home game.

Just freaking admit what is inevitably coming already.

But, some of the same people that said "don't worry about it. RV will fix it" in 2011 are saying the same thing about 2015. A certain Albert Einstein quote comes to mind...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The Iowa games are tough to swallow just because we were told that building Apogee would bring in better known teams from AQ leagues for OOC games, teams like IOWA!!

Rice does have the SWC advantage, though, along with capacity flexibiilty and stadium possibilities we don't have, so them getting those opponenets while they are good doesn't surprise me. Now, if La Tech or Texas State start playing big teams in their backyards, while we act like playing SMU and Army at home is some kind of coup, I don't know what to say. Already, the 2015 season will have 5 home games and 1 game that will be sold as a pseudo-home game opportunity (at SMU), so as to pay the bills. I don't even have a problem if that is why we have to continue to schedule the way we do (poors have to do that), just come out and say it. Tell us that an extra road game at an AQ team pays for soccer, volleyball, track, cross country, etc..,maybe then, now that we have stronger facilites and conference affiliation, the alumni will step up to donate even more to help the situation. If the alumni won't stepup to help this, then you really need to ask yourself as a university if we should be playing football at this level and why we even built a stadium as nice as Apogee.

I think RV is bad at scheduling because the BOR makes it clear, still, that spending inordinate figures on football is not acceptable. Playing non-conference games at AQ home stadiums helps to make sure that spending doesn't get too out of hand in the minds of the BOR and administration. I've said it before, but I feel like we are giving about 3/4 effort when it comes to running an athletic department, which beats the hell out of the quarter-ass we used to give. But that final 1/4 of effort we need to employ at UNT in regards to athletic spending is to buy out contracts of people who aren't getting the job done before there is just a year or less left on the contract and it is also about paying more to get more recognizable teams here in Denton for games at Apogee and at The Super Pit. When we get to that point, as well as to increase the sports fee to a level that matches that of power programs like Texas State and UTSA, then I'll fully recognize that UNT has finally begun giving a full effort towards athletics like our other FBS peers in the state and region.

Solid post.

• Upvote 1

You do realize that there are new posters here that may not fully grasp this situation, right?

I was like them once upon a time. I thought surely RV was doing everything he could do to bring the best schedule to UNT possible.

Then we had a 5 home game season in 2012. A season that many on this board, including myself, said wouldn't happen because RV would surely adjust the schedule before the season to make sure we had 6 home games. Didn't happen.

So I started looking at future schedules. I observed that there was zero flexibility, with many years already booked with 2 OOC road games while only having 1 OOC home game in multiple years, with one year even having ZERO home games (at the time, that year was 2015).

So I came on here and related this info, telling you guys that the ONLY way out of this terrible scheduling situation was to buy home games in multiple years. Quite frankly, I doubted we would do this. Thankfully, we bought games in 3 straight years, but it still wasn't enough to fix what had already been set in motion.

I would go easier on this AD if he just came out, admitted past mistakes, told us that, yes, we would have to play a 5 game home schedule in 2015, but that he understood that scheduling has been woefully lacking and he would work harder to make it better. But instead he refuses to answer this question, simply stating "we are working on 2015" or something to that effect.

The thing is, 2015 is done. Contracts are signed (including the gawdawful Iowa contract). It's way late in the football scheduling game to first get out of one of those contracts and secondly to buy another home game.

Just freaking admit what is inevitably coming already.

Buying home games against Texas Southern, Idaho, and Nicholls State wasn't what I thought we would have to do when we came out with plans to build Apogee. Surely, if we had to buy these guys for an extra game, it would be because we were playing Iowa or Tennessee at home as at least a 2 for 1 series, so playing a bought game against them might balance it out. Instead, we gave our fans who made a financial commitment to this place Texas Southern as the lone OOC game in 2012. We got Idaho and Ball State as home OOC games last year. This year, we get SMU and Nicholls State. Next year, as of now, we get Army as the only home OOC game.

That is just disappointing, to put it mildly. Again, if its just because we have to keep playing on the road to pay the bills and we cannot afford anything more, just tell us. We all get the situation as it exists in Denton--getting the athletic fee passed just to build Apogee was a tough sell and paying less than half what other in-state schools like Texas State, UTSA, and Lamar pay for a sports fee just illuminates the tough sell of athletics at our university. None of us will freak out if RV just came out and said, "Look, we are poor. The BOR doesn't want to pay anything more toward athletics than they have to because its not important to the university, so this is the only way we can pay for an athletic department until we start drawing more $$$ from alumni and fans through donations and attendance." We would not be thrilled, but we would understand the sitaution better than we do right now. Because right now, it just makes the AD look incompetent and it makes the BOR look like they are just rewarding someone who does their bidding.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And stop promising 6 game home seasons if you have no intention of honoring the promise.

You're starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, dude. "No intention?" You can claim he's bad at scheduling all you want but you know this is false and insulting. Cool your jets, man.

• Upvote 3

I think people are assuming we cant get p5 schools, without really knowing the details. With the issues in finance at UNT, this may be a strategy strictly for money purposes.

Who's to say we dont need these paycheck games just to keep the athletic program afloat?

How much would UNT make if they turned down the 900k from UT and got a return home game against UT instead. It would sell out no doubt, but how much extra money does that come out to?

There's not enough fans to offset the big paycheck that RV can get. UNT just started winning last year and the attendance still has to improve.

Some say opponents will make attendance increase, but that increase will not be by true UNT fans that will come to most home games.

I asked this before. What is the big selling point for UNT as far as scheduling? Dallas area recruiting? Thats about it.

UNT just started winning, so putting UNT on the schedule would hurt a team's SOS. At least now, RV can sell being a quality opponent.

Comparing UNT to Rice is not a good comparison.

Rice agrees to play in Reliant. IF UNT would agree to play in the cotton bowl, then im sure there would be some teams that would play. But reliant is right down the street from rice. Rice fans are still outnumbered by Texas teams. Even if the game is played at rice stadium.

Houston has the same scheduling threads on thier site. The big teams want to play UH at reliant. reliant is probably the only way they got BYU.

No. Our scheduling is done years in advance. BYU was done when we still had Robertson. Our AD refuses to do 2 for 1s and 3 for 1s and he will not play at Reliant. Texas Tech, Arizona, Louisville, Vandy and (possibly) Oklahoma all are scheduled to play us at TDECU stadium.

10552605_770226626333999_417104169835200

10565015_770226749667320_709666042043553

10359235_770226709667324_749456246446502

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think people are assuming we cant get p5 schools, without really knowing the details. With the issues in finance at UNT, this may be a strategy strictly for money purposes.

Who's to say we dont need these paycheck games just to keep the athletic program afloat?

How much would UNT make if they turned down the 900k from UT and got a return home game against UT instead. It would sell out no doubt, but how much extra money does that come out to?

It's this type of small time thinking that has plauged UNT for years.

What if we were to schedule a top 25 team to Apogee. It's extremely hard to beat these types of teams on the road, but just about any knowledgable fan can tell you that a program defining win hasn't happened at UNT... Ever.

If you win this home game against a name ranked opponent, you would generate interest never before seen in this program.

Or, we could just keep doing things the same way which is obviously working???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You're starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, dude. "No intention?" You can claim he's bad at scheduling all you want but you know this is false and insulting. Cool your jets, man.

I know it isn't false, my friend. I guess he didn't promise, but when you sell a product with the understanding that there will be 6 home games to those buying said product, it's pretty much the same thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1