DMN Ignores UNT

If they are such a thing of the past, then why are so many people up in arms on here that UNT was left out? I mean nobody reads them anyways, right?

Papers ARE a thing of the past.

News/Sports web pages like the one that published this article that everyone went to and commented on?

Not so much.

• Upvote 3

If they are such a thing of the past, then why are so many people up in arms on here that UNT was left out? I mean nobody reads them anyways, right?

Wow. You are so profoundly wise. People are sick of the perception of the douchebags at places like the DMN. That's why they are pissed off. I seriously doubt anyone read this on a piece of paper either. If you think newspapers aren't dying off then you live in a bubble.
  • Upvote 1

Good for Brandin!

As for the response . . . what weak sauce. It answers a question that wasn't asked. They did a feature obviously intended to cover the 1A teams with large followings in the North Texas area...and left North Texas out. If Brett Vito is such a ready resource, why didn't they have him write a little something on UNT's impact freshmen?

• Upvote 1

...unless Brett was actually asked and he did not respond.

As a former TDMN employee, I can almost with 100 percent certainty say they did not ask.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like Vito but I don't buy his explanation. Every other team listed has their own local paper. (SMU excluded) Granted they are not owned by A.H. Belo but to insinuate that UNT coverage via the DRC is consumed by those within the DFW metro area is dubious.

• Upvote 5

Don't really care what Brett likes to do with his blog. His blog addresses hardcore MG fans. The vast majority of sports section readers don't know nor care that Brett has a blog.

To be straight, I'm not ragging on Brett having a blog, but it has nothing to do with an article for casual sports fans.

• Upvote 7

I take the DMN and have for decades. It is in steep decline like all newspapers. I am going to continue to read it because it is frankly the only local newspaper left. Having said that, the excuse from the paper was pure bs. I really wonder why they don't seem to realize that they almost surely have more readers with UNT ties than any other college.

I am happy that the DRC still has a beat writer covering NT, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their coverage of local sports in the DMN. I supposed they would prefer me for instance to cancel my subscription and subscribe to the DRC. There is absolutely no excuse other than ignorance to explain their odd slap at NT. My guess is the guilty DMN writers just does not consider NT major league college football and probably only included SMU because in their mind that is Dallas's team.

• Upvote 3

Don't really care what Brett likes to do with his blog. His blog addresses hardcore MG fans. The vast majority of sports section readers don't know nor care that Brett has a blog.

To be straight, I'm not ragging on Brett having a blog, but it has nothing to do with an article for casual sports fans.

This. That's my chief issue and why I felt it was embarrassing for UNT. There are many situations where it's good to be included with the rest of the pack. And not always good to go it alone, even if it's a special or exclusive distinction (see: Longhorn vs SEC Network).

• Upvote 1

Did everyone miss that Vito said it was a simple miscommunication?

This is a good thing. The response may prevent something like this happening again in the near future and will maybe turn some heads at Vito's parent company.

'90 is right (oh, that hurts to say). I'm proud that so many UNT supporters responded. That may well make DMN think twice in the furure. However, the damage is done. Readers of the original story - that skipped UNT - got the message that UNT was not a major FBS player in the Metroplex. The DMN shouldn't just have corrected their stupidity - they should have publically apologized.

• Upvote 1

I just sent the DMNews a long e-mail berating them about

Overlooking us. I also let them know I live in Waco and subscribe to the paper and how poor the coverage of UNT has gotten over the years. Back before about 2005 we had a large article each week on Thursdays in the Sports section, but it has gotten to be less and less. The best writeup we have gotten in 5 years is when we won the Dallas Bowl game this year. Just watch out UNT is on the rise we will see the day in the near future when the Mean Green will be a team to be feared. I feel coach will use

This article as well as others which have been printed to

Get the team motivated. Coach Fry taught him how to get a team up, and he knows it well. Maybe not this year, but next year get ready for a 10 to 11 win season.

• Upvote 1