Update on Tulane's new stadium

Baby Arm!

Judging from pictures alone, Apogee at the same capacity (30k) seems to be a much larger stadium.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/04/media_gets_a_glimpse_of_yulman.html

Nice digs! Definate upgrade from the cavernous Superdome. Yet another school thats ditching the professional/dome stadium for an on campus venue (Hint, Hint, UTSA)

All things considered, I wish the Green Wave was still in CUSA....

Edited by Baby Arm!

I think the stadium is "land locked", thus the seemingly small size. A lot different that the original Tulane Stadium from back in the day.

The new stadium overlaps the site of the cavernous old Tulane "Sugar Bowl" Stadium which hosted three early Super Bowls before it was dismantled in 1980. The new stadium is low-profile to appease the residents on the adjacent Audobon Boulevard and designed to deflect noise away from the neighborhood. There are no parking lots for the new stadium, just a small lot by the baseball stadium.

Odd trivia - an Egyptian mummy was found in one of the many storage areas of the old stadium. Nobody knew how or when it got there, and there was no known history of the university having it.

800px-Tulane_Stadium_Sugar_Bowl_This_Wee

• Upvote 2

The new stadium overlaps the site of the cavernous old Tulane "Sugar Bowl" Stadium which hosted three early Super Bowls before it was dismantled in 1980. The new stadium is low-profile to appease the residents on the adjacent Audobon Boulevard and designed to deflect noise away from the neighborhood. There are no parking lots for the new stadium, just a small lot by the baseball stadium.

Odd trivia - an Egyptian mummy was found in one of the many storage areas of the old stadium. Nobody knew how or when it got there, and there was no known history of the university having it.

800px-Tulane_Stadium_Sugar_Bowl_This_Wee

I still miss that old stadium in the heart of the Tulane campus.

I attended a Dallas Cowboys/New Orleans Saints game there in 1967, the Saints' first season in the NFL.

With Al Hirt playing Dixieland Jazz on the sidelines and the Dixie Beer flowing freely, the joint was "rockin".

One of my great sports memories - thanks for posting the pic.

So wasn't Tulane once a national football power, member of the SEC? What caused their drop into mid level athletics?

What happened to you, Tulane? You used to be cool.

They went independent because they wanted to increase the emphasis on academics and lower the emphasis on athletics. Wanted to form an Ivy League South with schools like Vandy, Rice, SMU, etc, but everyone else decided to stay where they were.

I can't believe that the new Tulane stadium has a 30k capacity. It looks tiny from the pics. I do like that it's kind of a throwback style stadium, though.

The new Houston stadium is an upgrade over what they have. More suites, different and more interesting architecture (at least internal)....but man that outside fascade looks cheap. Either this thing is gonna look amazing in person (from outside), or awful. There will be no in between.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe that the new Tulane stadium has a 30k capacity. It looks tiny from the pics. I do like that it's kind of a throwback style stadium, though.

The new Houston stadium is an upgrade over what they have. More suites, different and more interesting architecture (at least internal)....but man that outside fascade looks cheap. Either this thing is gonna look amazing in person (from outside), or awful. There will be no in between.

The cladding on the outside was one of the most debated stadium topics among Coog fans. A lot of people really didn't like it. But as they've seen it recently in person for Pick a Seat events, most have said that they were surprised that they liked it. It's also supposed to allow some air flow through the stadium which is needed during those early season games. Evidently that style has been popular in some recent international soccer stadiums. But it may be a love it or hate it feature.

The view of downtown from inside the stadium will be very nice. Sure to be a featured shot on every TV broadcast.

We each have our own opinions and preferences.... but curious why Tulane's stadium is nice digs but UH's is meh (other than Cougar King causing negative bias against UH)

You nailed it

Don't judge us by our most obnoxious fans. The guy has been banned from UH's primary message board so even UH fans don't want to read his posts

• Upvote 5

I'm not a lover of those erector set stadiums (I was poisoned after UCF built theirs) but I think Houston's will be a very nice stadium.

Curious though, why didn't they complete the section at the scoreboard end. It just stops at the end of the scoreboard.

Edited by DeepGreen