MGB: Thursday practice live blog

Brett Vito

Being here for three years I think there's a really good chance we're seeing the best McNulty will do. However, I think Greer and Williams, maybe a bit behind McNulty right now, both have higher ceilings. I would not be surprised at all if one or both of those guys came back in fall practice and showed significant improvement.

• Upvote 1

It seems the general consensus is that we are intent on not putting our best QB out there.

Let's give DW an extreme amount of credit based on nothing at this point but hype and underperformance in actual practice and workouts.

Say he somehow outperforms all current indicators and turns out to be a college version of a Tony Romo. Will you still think he is a great QB when he throws for 275yds, has three picks a game and goes 6-6?

Not saying that he necessarily will, but so far he isn't doing anything to prove he won't while the other guys are taking care of business.

I seem to recall Southern Miss going through a similar decision recently and started/continued a horrendous losing streak before pulling the plug. May have set their program back several years.

Whoever wins out, will be the QB that gives us the best chance of winning consistently, until said QB proves he can't and the next one will step in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only game action (or live practice for that matter) I have seen was the Idaho game, in which he showed nice skills in his brief appearance. From there, it seems all the feedback/reports has either been meh, or negative.

It seems like the longer the coaches have had to see him in action, the less they like what they see. That is concerning if true because I assumed he was the favorite entering winter workouts to be the next starting QB.

Hopefully he can turn it around and be the player so many think he is. If nothing else, it will make for a better competition. Based on the information available so far, I am not sold that he will, and that will be disappointing.

Whether DW or any other of our starting QB prospects starts or not has a lot to do with their own "want to".... And that includes on the field preparation, off the field preparation and weight room preparation. Raw talent will not get it done at the D1 college level. The college football landscape is littered with athletes who thought they could make the transition to starting D1 QB based on "potential" alone. D1 ball IS NOT HS ball. I give you the recently departed BB as just one such local example.

The starting QB for UNT will emerge from our top three candidates, and the starter will be the one in which the coaching staff believes will give UNT the very best chance of winning game in and game out.

I'll trust in Mac and Co. To make that call. They are by far the most capable around these parts of doing so.

Why not North Texas!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only game action (or live practice for that matter) I have seen was the Idaho game, in which he showed nice skills in his brief appearance. From there, it seems all the feedback/reports has either been meh, or negative.

It seems like the longer the coaches have had to see him in action, the less they like what they see. That is concerning if true because I assumed he was the favorite entering winter workouts to be the next starting QB.

Hopefully he can turn it around and be the player so many think he is. If nothing else, it will make for a better competition. Based on the information available so far, I am not sold that he will, and that will be disappointing.

That's just an inaccurate summation in my opinion. DaJon has had unbelievable moments. He has also struggled at times like all young QB's can.

He's just a special talent and I hope we get to see it.

That's just an inaccurate summation in my opinion. DaJon has had unbelievable moments. He has also struggled at times like all young QB's can.

He's just a special talent and I hope we get to see it.

I agree on the flashes of brilliance. Followed by bad mistakes or negative feedback. That is what prompted the Romo comparison.

If the summation is so off base what do you attribute his apparent fall from favorite to 3rd on the depth chart? Not that we know where he actually is, but that seems to be the current read.

I agree on the flashes of brilliance. Followed by bad mistakes or negative feedback. That is what prompted the Romo comparison.

If the summation is so off base what do you attribute his apparent fall from favorite to 3rd on the depth chart? Not that we know where he actually is, but that seems to be the current read.

Well, he is a freshman for one. It may take him a while to develop. Nothing unusual in that. It is exceedingly rare for QB to come in and rule the roost early on. yes, I am aware of the exceptions. But, this is more of what would be expected at his stage of development.....even with great potential. So, if it takes him a year or two, i can live with that.