SMU

DeepGreen

NYT Article:

"The Mustangs, amid a revival in their second season under Brown, 73, were almost giddy as they wondered where the selection committee would send them after a 23-win season. They won four games against nationally ranked opponents, including a two-game sweep of Connecticut in the inaugural season of the American Athletic Conference."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/sports/ncaabasketball/after-ncaa-snub-larry-brown-and-smu-look-forward-not-back.html?emc=edit_th_20140401&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=61843218&_r=0

Wonder what an article like this about benford would say

The next national news article (assuming we don't get cracked for anything illegal) about Tony Benford will be a 4 paragraph wire blurb carried on all the major sports sites.

Paragraph one will be one or two sentences, stating that 'University of North Texas Head Coach Tony Benford has been fired/terminated/relieved of duty', either 'after _ seasons' or '_ games into his _th season'.

Paragraph two will summarize the most recent season or portion-of-a-season, specifying the overall record, conference record, and any notably terrible losses or lengthy losing streaks from his final stretch of games.

Paragraph three will state his career record at North Texas, and specify how much time remained on his contract at the time of the firing. If Vito breaks the story and the wire services borrow from his report, it might also specify how much money his buyout is expected to cost.

Paragraph four will briefly recap his assistant coaching career prior to North Texas, and also probably mention the win over Texas A&M as the high point of his tenure here.

I can't wait to read it when it finally comes out!

Give it up for the Mustangs!

Love the fact SMU is back and I say go win it!

Not an SMU fan by birth or education but live 1 mile from the school and they represent Dallas - go get'em Stangs!

Come on North Texas you are North Texas' team make a hire - get a bid - create an environment and WIN.

GMG

• Downvote 2

Give it up for the Mustangs!

Love the fact SMU is back and I say go win it!

Not an SMU fan by birth or education but live 1 mile from the school and they represent Dallas - go get'em Stangs!

Come on North Texas you are North Texas' team make a hire - get a bid - create an environment and WIN.

GMG

The case that SMU represents Dallas is pretty weak despite their recent basketball success.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The case that SMU represents Dallas is pretty weak despite their recent basketball success.

As many celebs at SMU basketball games as there are at Mavs games lately, maybe even more.

They are well on their way to being Dallas's team, a roll we MIGHT have been able to achieve with the proper basketball hire.

Too late now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

As many celebs at SMU basketball games as there are at Mavs games lately, maybe even more.

They are well on their way to being Dallas's team, a roll we MIGHT have been able to achieve with the proper basketball hire.

Too late now.

Last night the second game (of 162) of the Rangers' season did a 6.0 in metroplex ratings.

The mighty mustangs, in the semi-final of the NIT, did a 0.6.

Outside of University Park the people of Dallas are still pretty "meh" about SMU

• Upvote 1

Last night the second game (of 162) of the Rangers' season did a 6.0 in metroplex ratings.

Outside of University Park the people of Dallas are still pretty "meh" about SMU

The metroplex isn't Dallas.

I know one SMU fan.... And he went there. We are giving them more credit then they deserve just by having this topic. No one really cares about them and in a few years they will fade until someone else donates a lot of money. Not worried about SMU at all. Sure I do want a new arena. However most people do not know who is better between UNT and SMU because most people don't pay attention to either. I still run into people who say yea great year UNT had. They are still rocking the basketball front. At which point I say nothing....

The Rangers, especially recently and with it being the opening series, will get very good ratings, compared to other sports going on right now in the area.

As for SMU and the NIT, college hoops is my favorite sport--and even I don't care about watching a NIT game on TV...very few people outside the Moody crowd of 7000 really care, either.

Moody Coliseum is the hot place to be seen right now in North Dallas--not in the rest of the Metroplex, but in the hoitey-toitey land of North Dallas, the media makes it look like the whole Metroplex cares. This is where they have the huge advantage over the rest of us, even TCU. Because its Dallas, they get the coverage and the credit for being the team that delivers the DFW TV market. What just amazes me is how so many other conferences, other colleges, and the sports media overwhelmingly look at SMU in this light, even though your point about them being University Park's team is really dead-on.

Do your research on NIT last few winners have followed up with boosts in recruiting and making good runs in March Madness. You're foolish if you don't think a strong showing in NIT can't help a program.

Do your research on NIT last few winners have followed up with boosts in recruiting and making good runs in March Madness. You're foolish if you don't think a strong showing in NIT can't help a program.

Especially when you were not playing postseason basketball last season because of a losing record and a 1st round exit from your conference tourney.

It shows you're on the way up... quickly.

I emailed Bret Shipp to see what ever happened with the SMU grades issue he brought up to Coach Brown. He replied, and I would be shocked if they aren't on probation soon based on his response. I will try to post it later.

Does anyone know how to copy and paste on a tablet?

Edited by UNTLifer

I emailed Bret Shipp to see what ever happened with the SMU grades issue he brought up to Coach Brown. He replied, and I would be shocked if they aren't on probation soon based on his response. I will try to post it later.

Does anyone know how to copy and paste on a tablet?

Wait a minute!! SMU might actually NOT play by the rules!? Lies!!! Damn lies!!

• Upvote 1