Can we fire benford yet?

eagle2014

Yes a good guard group can compensate for a weak front court or the lack of one. Villanova is always a good example. They normally go with 4 guards.

I don't believe our guards are good enough to be considered a good group. Decent group, but not good.

When the big dance rolls around I seem to always favor the teams that are guard heavy. They just perform better.

Villanova? They start 6'3,6'6,6'7,6'6 and the other is either 6'11 or 6'5. Not exactly a short team and their so called guards are a lot better than NT's.

NT usually ends up playing a four guard offense: but in the process normally get killed on the inside.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Villanova? They start 6'3,6'6,6'7,6'6 and the other is either 6'11 or 6'5. Not exactly a short team and their so called guards are a lot better than NT's.

NT usually ends up playing a four guard offense: but in the process normally get killed on the inside.

I think he's talking about the Nova team that went to the Final Four about five or six years ago. That team started four guards.

• Upvote 2

The daily bashing has gone on for 2 years now. We will probably be on the hook for $900k. Throw in the women's coach and its much more. Seems like a big chunk of the operating budget has always gone toward dead salaries. What assurances do we have that the next hire will be the answer? If I am a potential donor, I need some answers. I do agree that non-action could be more costly.

Hopefully SMU' s recent success will be the impetus for a change.

• Upvote 4

The daily bashing has gone on for 2 years now. We will probably be on the hook for $900k. Throw in the women's coach and its much more. Seems like a big chunk of the operating budget has always gone toward dead salaries. What assurances do we have that the next hire will be the answer? If I am a potential donor, I need some answers. I do agree that non-action could be more costly.

The BOR just shelled out a 3-4 yr extension for a Football coach with with 1 winning season in 3 (not saying he did not deserve with the bowl win), they bought out the previous hire early, now two more crappy hires. I do not think the BOR cares much less have the guts to end 3 contracts at once (WBB, MBB, and AD)

• Upvote 1

The BOR just shelled out a 3-4 yr extension for a Football coach with with 1 winning season in 3 (not saying he did not deserve with the bowl win), they bought out the previous hire early, now two more crappy hires. I do not think the BOR cares much less have the guts to end 3 contracts at once (WBB, MBB, and AD)

Petersen looks like he is turning it around and RV apparently will be here till he quits. So I don't think many are thinking about anything but Benford at this point.

I assume Benford is under a personal service contract. I wonder what would happen if they just demoted him to assistant coach. No it most definitely would not work long term, but it might make a settlement more attractive to him.

• Upvote 1

Petersen looks like he is turning it around and RV apparently will be here till he quits. So I don't think many are thinking about anything but Benford at this point.

I assume Benford is under a personal service contract. I wonder what would happen if they just demoted him to assistant coach. No it most definitely would not work long term, but it might make a settlement more attractive to him.

Maybe we could put him in the Scrappy costume to play out his contract?

There is absolutely no way that this place is paying even half that amount to buy out a coach. We buy out one year, at the most--see Todd Dodge or Vic Trilli, who got 4th years of a 5 year contract after winning about 15%-20% of their games leading up to that 4th season. Each would have cost the university an additional $200-$275k to fire them a year ahead of time.

The last remaining jump that this school needs to make to truly be a place where athletics matter at the highest level is to fire people when the results aren't there, no matter how much it costs. You cannot make up for the additional years of losing and lost revenue from the fanbase and the4 negative perception that gets reinforced. Yes, its fixed cost is less, but the implied costs of not making the change are much more significant.

• Upvote 1

Accountability is a historic issue at North Texas. AD's allow coaches to drown programs before making changes, mainly due to trying to save a buck. If the AD needs money for firings, reach out. That is an area of interest that would be common with the general population, so getting the money in would not be difficult.

Edited by Ben Gooding

Accountability is a historic issue at North Texas. AD's allow coaches to drown programs before making changes, mainly due to trying to save a buck. If the AD needs money for firings, reach out. That is an area of interest that would be common with the general population, so getting the money in would not be difficult.

Who in the general population is going to donate. Even more so who in the general population dislikes Benford? I have only heard good things from people about his holding players accountable and teaching them there is a life after basketball. Most people see that and his work with camps in the community. Only bitter UNT fans want him gone. The average person cares less if we win or lose. Just the truth. Try talking to Ernie or someone like that. Not the general public.

• Downvote 5

Who in the general population is going to donate. Even more so who in the general population dislikes Benford? I have only heard good things from people about his holding players accountable and teaching them there is a life after basketball. Most people see that and his work with camps in the community. Only bitter UNT fans want him gone. The average person cares less if we win or lose. Just the truth. Try talking to Ernie or someone like that. Not the general public.

Wait till I win the Power Ball.

• Upvote 1

There is absolutely no way that this place is paying even half that amount to buy out a coach. We buy out one year, at the most--see Todd Dodge or Vic Trilli, who got 4th years of a 5 year contract after winning about 15%-20% of their games leading up to that 4th season. Each would have cost the university an additional $200-$275k to fire them a year ahead of time.

The last remaining jump that this school needs to make to truly be a place where athletics matter at the highest level is to fire people when the results aren't there, no matter how much it costs. You cannot make up for the additional years of losing and lost revenue from the fanbase and the4 negative perception that gets reinforced. Yes, its fixed cost is less, but the implied costs of not making the change are much more significant.

Yes, there is no way a new stadium could be built, NT would pay coaches a competitive salary, or a myriad of other things happen; until they did. None of that means much now, I think Benford will be gone if a turnaround does not occur.

I think RV will grasp at straws or any hint of improvement to keep Benford; but I doubt that occurs with the way they look now.

Edited by GrandGreen

No one cares if we win? Uhh Andrew stop dude, just stop right there. You are way too optimistic of the current situation, just stop.

Ok go to the denton mall and just ask random people what they think of the basketball situation at north Texas. Moat people will say oh yea I loved how they win that bowl... Or man they are um... Doing good.....?

I am not being optimistic of any situation. I am telling you for a fact they don't. There are what 90k people in Denton? If even half of them know anything about UNT basketball I will buy you a dinner. Heck go to the mall, walmart, and a restaurant and video your interaction. Ask your waiter. Let me know what you get.

Ok go to the denton mall and just ask random people what they think of the basketball situation at north Texas. Moat people will say oh yea I loved how they win that bowl... Or man they are um... Doing good.....?

I am not being optimistic of any situation. I am telling you for a fact they don't. There are what 90k people in Denton? If even half of them know anything about UNT basketball I will buy you a dinner. Heck go to the mall, walmart, and a restaurant and video your interaction. Ask your waiter. Let me know what you get.

You know why that is?

TONY BENFORD.

• Upvote 1

Denton pop is up to 124k by the way, not 90. Bout 30% off. No one cares if we currently win bc we are12-11 with over half of the wins over Montana Tech A&M, College of the Rockies, and Deleware Institution of the Northeast. We suck, that is why casual fans don't care. We will be exxxtrreeemely lucky to win 2 more games this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I love you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

HAHAHAHAHA

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We cannot even get the general population interested in our football team after a bowl win. It's just the facts. We cannot even sell out a game with a solid team. What do you expect of basketball.... It's just a fact. Win or lose it will take a lot of people in the Denton area to get interested in football and even more in basketball. If you want to reach out for fans get the students and if you want to reach our to alumni for a nail out call Ernie.