Can we fire benford yet?

eagle2014

Different situation as we only had 1 year remaining on the contract. We still ended the season with a losing record, but we had someone on staff that we could count on to lead the team.

If we are going to have to buy out this contract, it would be best to give him the full year so that we can get something for our money. Its not like someone from this staff is going to step in and make things better. If there is not a potential improvement from getting an interim from the staff, then why bother?

I don't know if his affiliation with coach Benford would cause him to decline the offer, or cause any kind of change really, but I believe coach Evans would be able to step up and take over. He can certainly point to skins on the wall.

I spent last night watching SMU blast past Temple at Moody. Not once did I clap during the game (can't bring myself to support SMU in anything), but it was still more fun than the beat down going to games in Denton has become. I did, however, keep my ESPN app open to keep an eye on the NT/Rice score. I guess I just can't force myself to not still be interested, but enough already. It is so beyond time to make the change.

Did you get your pic with Romo or Garrett ?

https://twitter.com/ticketradio/status/431840144480796674

I don't know if his affiliation with coach Benford would cause him to decline the offer, or cause any kind of change really, but I believe coach Evans would be able to step up and take over. He can certainly point to skins on the wall.

And those skins used to belong to mammoths and sabre toothed tigers.

I'll show myself out.

You really don't believe there is?

Not really.

And yet he is an assistant. He either doesn't want to be an HC anymore or no one wants him to be.

Did you get your pic with Romo or Garrett ?

No, I was up in the rafters, but I did capture a somewhat amusing moment involving them. This group of girls wanted their picture taken with Romo, so one of them handed her phone to Jason Garrett and apparently asked him to take their picture. I was like, you seriously asked the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys to take a group photo OF--not WITH--you. :) Sorry for the poor photo quality (but I was about 3/4 of a mile away).

12367440053_2399f6aa05_n.jpg

Edited by jredallas
  • Upvote 3

It wouldn't matter if we fired him we'd still suck. There is little hope at this point. I'm seriously flabbergasted at the play of our post guys. They just baffle me that they can be that bad. I'd just go small the rest of the year and play zone because we cant defend in man. No Voss, Coleman, Gaines, or Flannigan. They all can just sit. We should just run and chunk as many 3's as we can. Fire away. Shot within the first 12 second of the shot clock. Who am I kidding who really cares.

It wouldn't matter if we fired him we'd still suck. There is little hope at this point. I'm seriously flabbergasted at the play of our post guys. They just baffle me that they can be that bad. I'd just go small the rest of the year and play zone because we cant defend in man. No Voss, Coleman, Gaines, or Flannigan. They all can just sit. We should just run and chunk as many 3's as we can. Fire away. Shot within the first 12 second of the shot clock. Who am I kidding who really cares.

Voss is playing as well as any one on the team. I agree the other three don't deserve any playing time based on their performance thus far.

As far as making an in-season coaching change, why not? There is absolutely nothing to lose and it might help. Assuming you just name of the assistant as interim HC.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

And those skins used to belong to mammoths and sabre toothed tigers.

I'll show myself out.

So you're saying his flint spear and selection of say a 5-man team to ambush the mammoth would not work against an Owl, Bulldog, Golden Eagle?

I think it would do better than Mr Benford's methods of aimlessly passing the spear for 20 seconds before stabbing & then substituting the animal to death.

Of course, neither would work as well as an AK-47, but apparently we cannot afford one of those.

• Upvote 2

So you're saying his flint spear and selection of say a 5-man team to ambush the mammoth would not work against an Owl, Bulldog, Golden Eagle?

I think it would do better than Mr Benford's methods of aimlessly passing the spear for 20 seconds before stabbing & then substituting the animal to death.

Of course, neither would work as well as an AK-47, but apparently we cannot afford one of those.

I was pretty much just joking about him being old.

But, after your campaign against water, I'm happy to serve as the jump off for any comedy metaphors you have to share. Shine on, you beautiful diamond.

On offense he has been okay. Defensively not even close Bro, not even close. Lost little sheep

Maybe because he has to guard the opponent's center. There where a lot of times that Rice had unguarded inside men right under the basket, but I have no idea who's fault that is in the different zones NT is attempting to play.

And yes, Voss who is usually the leading rebounder and about the only presence NT has on the inside should start. He is not a good defender yet, but he at least can stay extended minutes on the court without getting into foul trouble.

No, I was up in the rafters, but I did capture a somewhat amusing moment involving them. This group of girls wanted their picture taken with Romo, so one of them handed her phone to Jason Garrett and apparently asked him to take their picture. I was like, you seriously asked the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys to take a group photo OF--not WITH--you. :) Sorry for the poor photo quality (but I was about 3/4 of a mile away).

12367440053_2399f6aa05_n.jpg

SMU had Romo, Garrett, Buck Showalter, Clark Hunt, and Mayor Rawlings in attendance last night. They got Mudiay committed and will have five star recruit Elijah Thomas coming to Moody this weekend against Cincy. I have to admit that I never thought Larry Brown could make THAT kind of impact so quickly. Jankovich may have a helluva program to lead when LB steps down or dies...

I know it is easier to get those types of folks out to University Park when they are good and playing bigger named teams, but it does surprise me to see how many media folks are talking them up right now in DFW. We never got that kind of treatment from the local press when JJ was coaching here in his latter eyars, other than an occasional "JJ is the best college hooops coach in the Metroplex" kind of mention from Newy or Dale. I guess the SMU $$$ still attracts attention.

SMU had Romo, Garrett, Buck Showalter, Clark Hunt, and Mayor Rawlings in attendance last night. They got Mudiay committed and will have five star recruit Elijah Thomas coming to Moody this weekend against Cincy. I have to admit that I never thought Larry Brown could make THAT kind of impact so quickly. Jankovich may have a helluva program to lead when LB steps down or dies...

I know it is easier to get those types of folks out to University Park when they are good and playing bigger named teams, but it does surprise me to see how many media folks are talking them up right now in DFW. We never got that kind of treatment from the local press when JJ was coaching here in his latter eyars, other than an occasional "JJ is the best college hooops coach in the Metroplex" kind of mention from Newy or Dale. I guess the SMU $$$ still attracts attention.

Also helps them that they have numerous schools in the top 25 playing in their league.

I was pretty much just joking about him being old.

But, after your campaign against water, I'm happy to serve as the jump off for any comedy metaphors you have to share. Shine on, you beautiful diamond.

Ah, I read too much into it and thought you may be questioning his crusty old ways in today's mad-substituting world.

Dude is old though. I guess old works, just look what's going on at Moody.

Things were good when JJ was here. But, they weren't go out and get Larry brown, host multiple 4 and 5 star athletes, and have a chance at beating/hosting the number 7 team in the nation good.

We are now where we are because they passed on the guy we hired.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Things were good when JJ was here. But, they weren't go out and get Larry brown, host multiple 4 and 5 star athletes, and have a chance at beating/hosting the number 7 team in the nation good.

I give their leadership a ton of credit. Hiring Larry Brown to coach at his age, when he hasn't coached college basketball since 1988, and also buying off Jankovich to be the coach-in-wating from his Illinois State head coaching gig took some major boldness and dollars to commit. I get that they have money to throw around down there because of their alumni, but the boldness part, at least for now, is really paying off.

Next year, when the AAC loses Louisville, SMU might just be one of the top 4 teams to win that league, with Cincy, Memphis, and UConn. That is incredible to type, much less believe, but it really does make you realize just how dormant their hoops program was under Doherty and the coaches before him. Shocking how much coaching actually matters, huh? (See Brown at SMU and Benford at UNT)

• Upvote 2

Maybe because he has to guard the opponent's center. There where a lot of times that Rice had unguarded inside men right under the basket, but I have no idea who's fault that is in the different zones NT is attempting to play.

And yes, Voss who is usually the leading rebounder and about the only presence NT has on the inside should start. He is not a good defender yet, but he at least can stay extended minutes on the court without getting into foul trouble.

He is not a presence IMHO, just a body. He is the second leading reb on the team. We werent playing zone last night it was man defense. The last dunk by Obi last night was not his fault. Alzee made a terrible play trying to steal and let his guy get to the middle. Voss stepped up and Jordan Williams collapsed. Meanwhile Brandon Walton never even turned his head to see what was going on behind him.

I know Im probalby being to hard, bc Voss has been the best of bigs. That being said though I've been extremely disappointed with his defensive effort. If he were on my team he'd have to play better D to see the floor. When he an another big are on the floor at the same time and we get into that zone Voss goes to play a wing on the back line. Its always in those situations that he gets out flanked and loses his position. That and just watching a guy drive in untouched who was literally a foot away from him. It was that play against Tulsa that made me throw-up. Here is our matador defense. We just wave the little cape and let everyone go on by.

• Upvote 1