"Remember the Apogee" T-shirt

Ben Gooding

What?

This shirt idea is weak. It's pathetic and makes us look like the game really meant anything.

I can agree that it may be best to just move on and no longer dwell on a loss but to say the game didn't mean anything is pretty revisionist.

1. It kept us out of the conference championship game

2. It prevented us from an undefeated home record

3. It was senior day for a class of seniors who we all wish had enjoyed a victory

Well maybe if everyone took them serious then we wouldn't have been sitting there in below freezing weather with a dumbfounded look on our face with our thumb up our ass staring at a 21-13 final. And the shirt idea wasn't my idea. I was just making an attempt to actually run with someone's idea rather than just talk about ideas all day and never act on them. I'll get in line and do more talking and less happening. My bad guys. ;)

I, for one, am confused by those who were so un-supportive of your effort. Thank you for being willing to put forth the work required to bring a board idea together.

• Upvote 5

You make the t-shirt, I'll buy it. So you have one customer at least. Look, we got our butts handed to us by this "JUCO" team and it cost us a conference championship game. Like it or not, they're in our conference, they're relevant in the conference, and they're here to stay. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

I dont know why some hate UTSA so much, but like it or not, they will be UNTs rival. They will possibly go bowling, and be one of the main competition for the West and recruits.

in a few years, they will be considered a quality win and it will be a plus for recruiting by having them on our schedule. Of they flop, then it only makes the conference, the division, and football in the state look weaker. We need them to be good.

I dont know why some hate UTSA so much, but like it or not, they will be UNTs rival. They will possibly go bowling, and be one of the main competition for the West and recruits.

in a few years, they will be considered a quality win and it will be a plus for recruiting by having them on our schedule. Of they flop, then it only makes the conference, the division, and football in the state look weaker. We need them to be good.

Didn't you pretty much answer the question? Schools generally hate their rivals.

I think there is a huge difference between what should be apathy from our fan base about facing UTSA (I'm as excited about playing UTSA as I am about Nicholls St), and "hating" them because they beat us.

If people hate UTSA because they beat us, that means they're stoking a rivalry. That's fine. Different strokes for different folks. Myself, I hope that feeling is temporary. I think most can agree, that game was the most disappointing of the season. If we would have lost to Rice by the same score and beat UTSA by the Rice score, I would feel more vengeful about the Rice game coming up.

I agree that we want them to be competitive because it makes the conference look better, but we can say the same thing about UTEP (poor UTEP, no one wants to be their rival). And we SHOULD be saying it moreso about LATech and SoMiss: 2 schools that have been ranked in the AP top 25 in the very recent past. The sooner those 2 get back in the saddle and become competitive, the better our conference will be. UTSA really isn't all that important in the grand scheme.

• Upvote 1

And we SHOULD be saying it moreso about LATech and SoMiss: 2 schools that have been ranked in the AP top 25 in the very recent past. The sooner those 2 get back in the saddle and become competitive, the better our conference will be. UTSA really isn't all that important in the grand scheme.

La tech and so miss wont create the rivalry that UNT needs. It needs to be a Texas team that is close enough to travel fans and have the state watching two Texas teams go at it. Rice can be the short term rivalry, but they dont have the fanbase and the following.

the last game of the season is at UTSA and that is no accident. CUSA sees the potential.

Edited by GOMG2013

La tech and so miss wont create the rivalry that UNT needs. It needs to be a Texas team that is close enough to travel fans and have the state watching two Texas teams go at it. Rice can be the short term rivalry, but they dont have the fanbase and the following.

the last game of the season is at UTSA and that is no accident. CUSA sees the potential.

Give me reputation/results/perception/whatever-you-want-to-call-it over potential. SoMiss & LATech fit the reputation. UTSA fits the potential.

Ruston is pretty darn close to Denton. And you know what, the recruiting hotbed between each school out in East Texas is one that has yielded some VERY nice recruits for us lately... the same place LATech is hitting pretty hard as well. I'd say the recruiting stakes are pretty high between UNT & LATech.

The fact that UTSA is in Texas does not quite do it for me.

Edit: Only problem - UNT whipped LATech hard last year, so no rivalry could start.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

The fact that UTSA is in Texas does not quite do it for me.

Edit: Only problem - UNT whipped LATech hard last year, so no rivalry could start.

It may not do it for you, but a lot of football fans in Texas will buy into 2 Texas football teams going at it.

I can see la tech being a rivalry too. The whole Texas/Louisiana thing and the location.

Theres still a whole lot of fans that keep up and root for Texas teams. We all know lots of these types of fans. As long as UTSA wins, they will be a rival. Like it or not.

It is bad business to not market it that way. Whats the use in having a team in Texas if you arent going to play it up. Rice vs UNT on Halloween...im sure it had a lot to do with two Texas teams.

It may not do it for you, but a lot of football fans in Texas will buy into 2 Texas football teams going at it.

I can see la tech being a rivalry too. The whole Texas/Louisiana thing and the location.

Theres still a whole lot of fans that keep up and root for Texas teams. We all know lots of these types of fans. As long as UTSA wins, they will be a rival. Like it or not.

It is bad business to not market it that way. Whats the use in having a team in Texas if you arent going to play it up. Rice vs UNT on Halloween...im sure it had a lot to do with two Texas teams.

To me, a rival is one that develops when 2 teams are on the same level (unfortunately, right now UNT & UTSA are) and continues even if one school excels while the other falls off. I don't know that if/when UTSA falls off, that people will feel anything towards UTSA. People are mad now because we lost to them when we shouldn't have. I think most here (and all of the players) consider that game one the Mean Green should have won.

What if by some crazy miracle UTEP plays lights out and goes 8-4 with a win over UNT? Do they become just as hated as UTSA? Moreso? They're in Texas too... We're going after alot of the same recruits... What's the difference? Is there a difference?

I think that there is not one person and/or employee in our athletic department that will ever forget the UTSA game.

I think that producing a t-shirt about a game with UTSA gives them entirely too much credibility. Our cohabiting the CUSA west division with UTSA has the makings of a rivalry, but it will have to have many more games with lots of sell outs before it rates a t-shirt.

Please people, give this guy a break... he's got spirit, don't try to crush it! Cause you disagree whether UTSA should be a rivial or not.

Shouldn't all you just be thankful that he cares and wants to act on it? You should be wishing more people would actually care about their school athletics a little more.

Now, Ben... here is my two cents worth. If they don't want a shirt... they don't have to have one. To each their own. Offer the shirt for sale or don't, or just make an sign or whatever. I'm happy for anyone showing their love and creativity for UNT... However you choose to do it! WTG! Keep it up man!

GO MEAN GREEN!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1