Who we beat on the recruiting trail

BillySee58

I never compared TCU to North Texas. I even capitalized compared to big12 schools so that wouldn't get mistaken. Guess it got mistaken anyways. They will not compete on the field or on recruiting boards, particularly with the rise of Ok State and Baylor. All North Texas needs to worry about is owning CUSA west division. Everything else will fall into place. And to trail off the comment of the one of the worse big10 classes is better than the best CUSA class. Maybe so. We'll put them to the test up in Indiana this fall.

Edited by Ben Gooding

Not very good. Last I saw we were around 8th in CUSA and 100th in the country. But then again they didn't have all of our recruits listed such as Wallace, Fortenberry, and Chumley just to name a few. There is room for improvement on the recruiting front, no doubt about it. But this class is very promising.

Not very good. Last I saw we were around 8th in CUSA and 100th in the country. But then again they didn't have all of our recruits listed such as Wallace, Fortenberry, and Chumley just to name a few. There is room for improvement on the recruiting front, no doubt about it. But this class is very promising.

Yeah, but recruiting class rankings aren't much different than pre-season rankings, and we saw just how accurate those were for us in CUSA this year. Several of these guys were very close to 3 Stars, and at least a couple probably weren't rated higher due to not having ideal size or for playing in a smaller program. I'm like you in that I think this class is really promising, and I guess it'll be a couple of years before we even begin to know for sure how good it really is.

For all these good recruits and big ideas...... For our dreams to be actualized, we need to win a lot, win often, season after season, and have victories over P5 schools to hang our hat on.

Win the west, Win the Conference, Top 25 ranking, Beat Texas, and for the love of God sell out the stadium a couple times a year.

Heads will turn only then

• Upvote 2

Class ratings are judged on how many total stars you have.

We have a small class. Smaller than most. Thus less stars.

We have the 2nd most 3-star recruits in CUSA.

Mac has improved the recruiting trail.

• Upvote 1

Front page DMN article points out the recruiting class "rankings" are often wrong in predicting results on the field. Alabama has five, really six, years of better recruiting than either of the two teams that beat them this year. Both Michigan State and Baylor had five plus years of lower ranked classes yet they both made BCS bowls.

These rankings are based on the biased analysis of non-coaching sports writers. Few of them have been present for the try outs they report as "facts." Their rankings are their opinions and the opinions themselves are based in information gathered from second and third hand rumors.

Suggesting it's a "fact" one school's class is ranked higher is the same as claiming its a "fact" orange is a better color than blue.

Edited by VideoEagle

For all these good recruits and big ideas...... For our dreams to be actualized, we need to win a lot, win often, season after season, and have victories over P5 schools to hang our hat on.

Win the west, Win the Conference, Top 25 ranking, Beat Texas, and for the love of God sell out the stadium a couple times a year.

Heads will turn only then

The bolded two points above are what need to happen to move us up in the interest of casual fans and the sports media around here.

Hell, giving Georgia a game for 3 quarters and finishing second in the CUSA West division got us more attention than we have had around Denton since 2004...

The bolded two points above are what need to happen to move us up in the interest of casual fans and the sports media around here.

Hell, giving Georgia a game for 3 quarters and finishing second in the CUSA West division got us more attention than we have had around Denton since 2004...

I think a top 25 ranking would go further than winning the conference with the casual fans.

Here's a great post from Gravy Owl (Rice fan) on the C-USA board:

In 2003 Rice hired McKinsey (consultants) to analyze the options for the future of Rice Athletics. Ultimately their recommendation was to remain in D1 and do it right. But before the report was released, some of our fans were adamant that the uncertainty would be disastrous for the 2004 recruiting class. Briefly, that appeared to be true: that class ended up with no 3-star recruits and not many other offers.

Then, a funny thing happened. Almost everybody in that class turned out to be a player. The QB and WR shattered most school passing records and a couple of national ones. They led the Owls to two winning seasons, and not many Rice recruiting classes can say that. The 10-3 record their senior year was Rice's best in decades. The 2004 class, which should have been the worst in school history, instead turned out to be the best in the modern era.

Since then we've had several classes that looked much better on paper but didn't do much on the field.

These days I don't put too much stock in recruiting.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-675792.html

• Upvote 1

I don't know, guys.... Brand new EXTREMELY high paid coach and his first game and at their own huge packed stadium....

I don't see us getting away with much. I wouldn't set that bar too low.

Don't go betting your house or car on a W.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I don't know, guys.... Brand new EXTREMELY high paid coach and his first game and at their own huge packed stadium....

There's a difference between "expecting to win" and "just being there to pick up a check." I don't believe Coach Mac goes into any game just to get the check. I think he believes we have a chance to win, but a lot of things will have to go according to his plan. I think he will have a game plan that will give us the chance to win.

• Upvote 1

If you're brother, or any of his teammates feel the same way, I would prefer that they stay home on Aug. 30th.

I can't understand why anyone would have less expectations of their team and/or program than the fans/alumni of the Appalachian States or ULM's of the college football world.

• Upvote 3

They signed 7 Texas Top 100s, same as Oklahoma St and TCU and Tech. They signed more than Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas St, West Virginia and Iowa St.

Only Texas and Baylor beat them out.

I sure as hell wish we were wilting like that.

Not that I disagree with you on the "wilting" bit but wouldn't you expect them to sign more of the Texas Top 100 than the out-of-state teams in the conference? This year they beat instate rival Tech by one recruit.

That said, they are the smallest university in the Big XII; a private school competing against large state universities. They'll have a run or two at the title but mostly I think that they'll sit in the bottom half of the conference.

I don't expect a win, but I expect the preparation and effort to make a win a possibility. I personally think no team should go out there expecting to win or to lose, but to know what it takes to win and do your best to make it happen.

Not condemning all the TCU, Texas, and P5 talk, but one thing I wanted to bring up by making this thread is that a lot of out-of-state non-P5 schools like to recruit Texas. Those schools who (Memphis, SDSU, Colorado State, Memphis, Nevada, and Toledo) know coming in that they won't be able to compete with the 5 P5 schools in Texas for Texas recruits.

These non-P5 out of state schools still want good players, but they know they can't get the top players with in-state P5 offers. There are also very few non-P5 out of state schools that have a chance getting a Texas recruit that SMU and Houston want. Who does that leave? Players who have offers from the other Texas D1 schools (UTEP, Texas State, Rice, UTSA, and us).

Losing recruiting battles to the P5 schools in this state is just the nature of recruiting. Losing recruits to major out of state programs is as well. But we are not going to let a non-P5 school outside of this state come in and take a player that we want out of our backyard. Those schools got a few, even one or two that we offered at some point, but I don't think it was any players who we were actively recruiting.

Those non-P5 out of state schools know that if a P5 school from Texas wants a Texas recruit, they shouldn't even waste their time. I hope they know now that they can add North Texas to that list of schools from this state that they can't compete with for a Texas recruit.

• Upvote 1

I think Georgia last year is a good indication of where we can be. Our cornerback play and running game should prevent us from the huge blowout losses we suffered under Dodge.

and Dickey.

• Upvote 1