Worst basketball team i've seen in 35 years

untbigdaddy

Yes! That's right, the absolute worst athletes I've seen on the hardwood at UNT in 35 years; and, the coaching, who hired this clown. You're right, Rick V. did; who hired Todd Dodge, you're right, Rick V. did; do you see a pattern. The Todd Dodge hiring set us back 9 years in football; can we afford to keep Tony? NO! Pay him off and kick him out the door. And, another thing, I went to the SFA game and my god talk about game day downer; please Rick go see a mavericks game and learn how to put on a game day experience (weather you're winning or not). Music, (no band, they suck) music, loud music,dancing girls and people in the seats; electricity and showmanship! It was worst than a high school game, no, it wasn't even close to the atmosphere of a high school game; that would be substantially better.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Yes! That's right, the absolute worst athletes I've seen on the hardwood at UNT in 35 years; and, the coaching, who hired this clown. You're right, Rick V. did; who hired Todd Dodge, you're right, Rick V. did; do you see a pattern. The Todd Dodge hiring set us back 9 years in football; can we afford to keep Tony? NO! Pay him off and kick him out the door. And, another thing, I went to the SFA game and my god talk about game day downer; please Rick go see a mavericks game and learn how to put on a game day experience (weather you're winning or not). Music, (no band, they suck) music, loud music,dancing girls and people in the seats; electricity and showmanship! It was worst than a high school game, no, it wasn't even close to the atmosphere of a high school game; that would be substantially better.

Maybe terrible leadership, but I wager that as athletes they're amongst the strongest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What happen about, "it's all about facilities"? We had great basketball facilities for about 30 years and just a few decent teams; that's poor leadership from the administration and bad hiring on the athletics department side. Now our once " best in Texas" facilities are seriously ageing; we all better get this fixed or we're in trouble...

• Upvote 4

If they make the game day experience more like a Mavs game I don't see us getting season tickets until it changes back to the college atmosphere.

When we were still good and exciting the place was electric and there was no reason to try and manufacture atmosphere.

• Upvote 5

Not the worst basketball team in 35 years.

11 North Texas 4 - 11 10 - 16 11 -865

12 California Irvine 1 - 13 1 - 25 12 -2105

This team kinda sucks. The situation really sucks. The expectations and enthusiasm have been shattered. The precipitous fall from grace embarrassing and mind boggling. But not the worst basketball team in 35 years.

As for turning the pit into a Mavericks environment, one of the many reasons that I don't watch the NBA at all is the comic book atmosphere and the disco on a mix of coke and acid lighting and sound systems. Screw that. I want to watch basketball, not a bunch of failed strippers twerking in a strobe light.

Facilities? The pit is aging. This much is true. It's still a much better venue than a great number of D1 programs. Its biggest drawback from my perspective is its size. Were it about 40% smaller in terms of seating capacity, it might have a bit more of a buzz, even in the lean years. At least we don't embarrass ourselves by flying around a remote control blimp that poops out 2 for 1 Rudy's tacos coupons on unsuspecting fans (cough...UTA...cough).

• Upvote 2

What happen about, "it's all about facilities"? We had great basketball facilities for about 30 years and just a few decent teams; that's poor leadership from the administration and bad hiring on the athletics department side. Now our once " best in Texas" facilities are seriously ageing; we all better get this fixed or we're in trouble...

What facilities are seriously "ageing" that need to be addressed?

There a lot wrong with your post. I'd say this is still a very talented team with some of the best athletes we've seen in recent memory.

The facilities aren't brand new, but they are still good.

But, everything you mentioned looks a lot worse when it appears they were put there without a purpose.

• Upvote 1

I loved the Pit before the JumboTron and new sound system. I don't think I'll get to see the improvements in person this season but I can't imagine they're not spectacular.

They really are nice P1. Also they continue to do little things around the concourse to Mean Green It Up - adding green accent colors to trim work etc etc.

If the show on the floor was good you would not notice the pit. I went to my first game at UNT for the first time in 30 years and I thought the facility was fine. I lived in albuquerque and they spent 50 million redoing UNM's pit and i did not notice any difference except they added some seats and and a new heating system that did not work for the first year.

Why is that, his stellar record on coaching hires?

Benford looked like a fantastic hire originally. We stole our women's coach from Wake Forest. While he's struggling this year, team was showing promise last year. Facility improvements. Fanbase improvements. Publicity in DFW. Real UNT athletic apparel. McCarney.

On our old budget, it's difficult to hire solid coaches, unless you want a revolving door like Arky State which will bite them in the ass soon.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Like who? What teams in our situation with no basketball history went and hired a great coach after losing a great coach to the SEC?

SFA seemed to hire a coach that knew how to keep a good thing going.

It's hard to deny that only North Texas would keep an AD who hired Todd Dodge, Shanice Stephens and Tony Benford.

• Upvote 1

Like who? What teams in our situation with no basketball history went and hired a great coach after losing a great coach to the SEC?

Western Kentucky lost Dennis Felton to Georgia. They then hired Darrin Horn who had 4 straight 20 win seasons and got hired by South Carolina. Their next hire wan't so hot, though.