UNT in a New Year's Day Bowl game, really!

UNTMike81

I'd never thought in a Million years UNT would have been in a New Year's day Bowl game at the beginning of the season. I wasn't a fan of Coach Mac hire based on his B12 record but now thankfully I'm eating a lot of crow. Based on posters view of DT I'm sure a fair amount of honest meangreen.com posters are suprised we're in a New Years Day Bowl also.

I hope our AD does an exceptional job in planing and promoting HOD bowl. Based on experience my expections of this happing are slim to none, but I didn't think we play in a New Year's Day Bowl either.

Congradulations to: RV, Coach Mac., our assistant coach's, and our entire football team!!!!

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 1

From various posts I sense a feeling on the majority of the fan base that the athletic department will not deliver on attendance at the bowl. If I were AD at UNT with a new president coming in I'd be trying anything at my disposal to get out the troops. Hey Jackson, deliver us your Dallas connections, hey Congressman Burgess make a bet with your Nevada counterpart (media) hey Burroughs,make a bet with your mayoral counterpart (media), hey how about the new president giving one bowl ticket to each UNT employee as a thank you for their service, hey Denton Chamber of Commerce how about buying a section of tickets and doing a two for one with your membership, hey UNT media alums how about talking up this game (we are always told that our media alums are just waiting for a chance to be proud of UNT) and the list of possibilities goes on...just need to think outside the box.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great promo ideas. Hay RV why don't you search our journailism graduate lists for lets say the last 20+ years and see how many of them are in the sports or other media position around the US. I bet a good number of them work for ESPN. Reachout to them and ask that they promote game across the US or better yet attend the game.

In addition to putting folks in the stands we might be able to increase national TV ratings. In addition to attendance ESPN looks at bowl ratings!!!!

From various posts I sense a feeling on the majority of the fan base that the athletic department will not deliver on attendance at the bowl. If I were AD at UNT with a new president coming in I'd be trying anything at my disposal to get out the troops. Hey Jackson, deliver us your Dallas connections, hey Congressman Burgess make a bet with your Nevada counterpart (media) hey Burroughs,make a bet with your mayoral counterpart (media), hey how about the new president giving one bowl ticket to each UNT employee as a thank you for their service, hey Denton Chamber of Commerce how about buying a section of tickets and doing a two for one with your membership, hey UNT media alums how about talking up this game (we are always told that our media alums are just waiting for a chance to be proud of UNT) and the list of possibilities goes on...just need to think outside the box.

You've seen more of these rodeos than myself, drex, so you will also choose to look at the reality of all this whether you be called Negative Ned or not.

Funny how I don't see many of the N.Vincent Peales out there of late selling many season tickets that would go a long ways toward filling a 31K seat stadium, though. Yes, for certain be positive but let positive have some legs & some "get out there among the masses press the flesh type" pro-activity to it, too.

Don't pass it on to someone else--that theme is getting old and becoming more obvious as to what it is saying. Have to say its a pretty good formula for some, though.....Good Attendance ='s UNT Athletics Takes Credit (and we all 2 or 3 that would do that unabashedly)..............Poor Attendance ='s It's Those Damn North Texas Fans & Alums Fault. :)THIS: Who cares who gets the credit? Sell some freakin' football tickets, dammit!

:thumbsu: STILL A GOOD CHANCE FOR A GOOD HOD BOWL ATTENDANCE IF THIS HAPPENS:

That is, if we have good to excellent day of game walk up ticket sales from Dallas area alums with most of that group wearing green. How about an exclusive ticket booth or 2 or 3 at the Cotton Bowl Stadium, HOD Bowl folks, for UNT alums to buy their tickets on Game Day and sit in the North Texas section? Anyone going to doubt who fans wearing green will be for no matter if our school or the HOD people sold the tickets?

UNT has no idea who or where most of our over 200,000 plus DFW alums are located.....we've seen that scene for decades, drex, with a much, much smaller UNT constituency as you could testify to that as a former athletic dept. employee so really............ IMHO, there really is still a big chance that we can draw for this game no matter what the pre-game ticket sales are.

TAKE CARE OF IT NOW OR ELSE:

It's still those regular season turnstile numbers at Apogee that continues to baffle many (as I know it does you, too) that needs to be addressed in a way it has never been addressed after this bowl season.

Again...if our alma mater's leaders don't address our puny Apogee attendance numbers for a school our size in the area our school is located they will come back to bite us in the arse later on since this, folks.............Rest assured, there will be another conference re-alignment down the road that we do NOT need to see a start-up or any school step past us in a perceived better conference but moreso beat North Texas in the all important Texas intercollegiate perception game and subsequent pecking order for recruits.

Drex, how many schools have you and others of us on this board seen go Beep! Beep! past our school since the 60's? I've just about lost count, but I don't think we want to see that happen again in our lifetime.

So What Is It? Positive or Negative? When does reality enter the discussion because that is what we'll be faced with at the 2014 football season opener at Apogee Stadium. Comprende?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good thoughts. I have no idea how many employees are at NT these days, but it would be great if they were STRONGLY encouraged to attend the game. That goes for all our home games next year as well. Tapping every source for putting butts in the seats would be a very good thing.

Good thoughts. I have no idea how many employees are at NT these days, but it would be great if they were STRONGLY encouraged to attend the game. That goes for all our home games next year as well. Tapping every source for putting butts in the seats would be a very good thing.

That's nice, but if your employer STRONGLY encouraged (makes it sound like a requirement) you to go to something that was on a holiday, would you be happy about it? I would try to offer tickets to as many employees and their families as possible, but I would stop short of making it seem as though they are required to attend. Make it easy for them, but you have to be careful that you don't go too far.

Edited by forevereagle

That all looks like effort to me...and, you know.

Let's cut them a little slack already they just found out yesterday and the school is closed and snowed in. In a week if there isn't movement I may join you.

Is there anyone on this board that has contacts with the bars down in the downtown Dallas. There are some really fun ones that are pub like and would be fun for Mean Green party gatherings leading up to the game. Perhaps a different bar could have a social leading up to the NYE party - one each night - 5 nights out. That way Mean Green fans could gather on the night that fits them best. Have some pub and game recruitment efforts going on at each designated drink bar of the evening.

I just think this is a huge opportunity that we all have to participate in rather than just leaving it up to the devices of the Athletic Department. I know I would be one of those fans who would make it out to every pre game party possible to gather and raise hell with other Mean Green diehards. There will be other bowl games going on so it would be a reason to congregate watch football and talk up the Green. Our presence all over Main and Elm street would be sweet and we would get the bar owner juiced up about the game.

Time to take over our territory - WE ARE NORTH TEXAS! I don't concede Dallas or Fort Worth to only red blue and purple.

GMG

Is there anyone on this board that has contacts with the bars down in the downtown Dallas. There are some really fun ones that are pub like and would be fun for Mean Green party gatherings leading up to the game. Perhaps a different bar could have a social leading up to the NYE party - one each night - 5 nights out. That way Mean Green fans could gather on the night that fits them best. Have some pub and game recruitment efforts going on at each designated drink bar of the evening.

I just think this is a huge opportunity that we all have to participate in rather than just leaving it up to the devices of the Athletic Department. I know I would be one of those fans who would make it out to every pre game party possible to gather and raise hell with other Mean Green diehards. There will be other bowl games going on so it would be a reason to congregate watch football and talk up the Green. Our presence all over Main and Elm street would be sweet and we would get the bar owner juiced up about the game.

Time to take over our territory - WE ARE NORTH TEXAS! I don't concede Dallas or Fort Worth to only red blue and purple.

GMG

Dan Balis of The Ticket opened a bar in the west end i believe some months back. There could be a pipeline there on doing something there. Not sure if he still works there but my brother has a really good friend who is the GM at one of the Buffalo Wild Wings somewhere in Dallas. I believe it's near the SMU area.

Does anyone know exactly what channel this game will be broadcast on? I understand "ESPN Regional Network" has the game, but will this be ESPN2, ESPNU? I'm not sure if my cable provider can get it or not but I need to know what to ask for. I'm in St Louis, MO and have Charter. We get all of the "Midwest" regional stuff here, but it might be possible to get it with an upgraded sports package.

Thanks! GMG!