Bowl Projection Update 12/1/2013 - Heart of Dallas

10Eagle10

Geez.

We can't even sell out homecoming, and that is with a student section that gets in for free, and you guys think we sell 30k tickets to the HOD bowl?

Delusional.

If we bring 15k, I'd be ecstatic. And so would the HOD bowl.

Nothing is ever free, you're missing something called opportunity cost. Student are going to go if they want to, just like alums.

What are fans, students and alums willing to give up in order to go to a bowl game, is the main question.

Having students there is also important, if that means paying less than 75 then do it. However, it's a moot point as it appears that there are cheaper tickets than $75.

Students will find a way to go if they spend $10 or $125. It's an effing LOCAL bowl game. You're not asking them to spend $600 on flight and hotel plus expenses. It's $75 max, that's a steal for a bowl game.

Michigan would slaughter us.

Just like they did to 5-7 MAC Team Akron?

Or like they did to 2-9 Connecticut?

I think we all understand that Michigan would be favored, but I wouldn't assume it would be a "bloodbath" before the game is played.

And our priority in a bowl game is not to have an easy opponent. Being the "David" in a "David vs. Goliath" (perception-wise) is nothing but good for generating public interest for UNT.

• Upvote 2

I think we all understand that Michigan would be favored, but I wouldn't assume it would be a "bloodbath" before the game is played.

And our priority in a bowl game is not to have an easy opponent. Being the "David" in a "David vs. Goliath" (perception-wise) is nothing but good for generating public interest for UNT.

You are on a roll, Mean Green 93-98! :thumbsu:

Don't stop now! LOL!

GMG!

PS: Didn't a 1-AA (FCS) school come in and beat UM several years ago, too?

PS II: And you're right....the public loves an under-dog.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

You people let your bias show way too hard.

I don't think that's correct. Michigan is not close to the level Georgia was when we played them, and they definitely don't have the passing game that Georgia had. I don't think anybody came away from that game thinking Georgia slaughtered us

• Upvote 2

PS: Didn't a 1-AA (FCS) school come in and beat UM several years ago, too?

Only seven years and two head coaches ago.

Speaking as a life-long Michigan fan (place of birth)...I can say with certainty UNT would have a real fighter's chance against them. Devin Gardner is even more frustrating than Derek Thompson...mostly because whereas with Thompson you're just hoping he manages the game well, Gardner is well-capable of the spectacular (see Notre Dame, Ohio State) but then follows them up with some simply awful (UCONN, Iowa, Michigan State) performances. If he's on...and he's finding Jeremy Gallon (who would be the best individual player UNT has faced all season) that Michigan offense can be dynamic.

The only potential match-up I've seen that would really frighten me as a UNT supporter would be Oregon State.

Speaking as a life-long Michigan fan (place of birth)...I can say with certainty UNT would have a real fighter's chance against them. Devin Gardner is even more frustrating than Derek Thompson...mostly because whereas with Thompson you're just hoping he manages the game well, Gardner is well-capable of the spectacular (see Notre Dame, Ohio State) but then follows them up with some simply awful (UCONN, Iowa, Michigan State) performances. If he's on...and he's finding Jeremy Gallon (who would be the best individual player UNT has faced all season) that Michigan offense can be dynamic.

The only potential match-up I've seen that would really frighten me as a UNT supporter would be Oregon State.

That offense is potent. It would definitely be an exercise for the Mean Green D to hold them. I think UNT could move the ball on their defense.

Enough to win though?

But yeah, I think I'd rather take a shot at a disinterested Michigan team.

EDIT: Sorry, I highlighted your last sentence so it would be clear who I was referring to.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

"IF"............Michigan.

Back in the mid 80's when their state went belly up economically and many moved down here to Texas to get jobs, I went to a Texas Rangers/Detroit Tigers baseball game at old Arlington Stadium and there were more Michiganders in attendance than Ranger fans that night.

Wonder how many of em' would come down "IF" we get the HOD Bowl? Wonder how many of em' stayed since the 80's?

GMG!

You people let your bias show way too hard.

And you let your respect for a program's history color your view of what the 2013 Michigan Wolverines actually are, which is a very average football team.

Would we win? Probably not. But you never know until you play the game. We played a much better Georgia team close well into the 3rd qtr.

• Upvote 1

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/nov/30/wsu-football-bowl-situation-update/

Heart of Dallas Bowl, Dallas, T.X., Jan. 1, 9 a.m., ESPNU

With Auburn knocking off No. 1 Alabama on Saturday, the Big Ten could send Ohio State to the BCS championship game and Michigan State to the Rose Bowl. If that were to happen, the Heart of Dallas bowl would need to find an at-large team to fill its spot. The Big Ten already has an extra slot available since Penn State is ineligible for postseason play due to NCAA sanctions.

Why WSU will be invited:

Bringing coach Mike Leach back to the state of Texas is attractive to the administrators of the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Apart from increased TV interest, WSU athletic director Bill Moos says he expects as many as 2,000 Texas Tech fans to travel to a bowl in or near Texas to support their former coach.

Why WSU will not be invited:

The Heart of Dallas will have plenty of choices in a year with so many bowl eligible teams. Seven-win teams like Maryland and Georgia Tech, or even Oregon State could be attractive to the bowl directors.

• Upvote 1

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/nov/30/wsu-football-bowl-situation-update/

Heart of Dallas Bowl, Dallas, T.X., Jan. 1, 9 a.m., ESPNU

With Auburn knocking off No. 1 Alabama on Saturday, the Big Ten could send Ohio State to the BCS championship game and Michigan State to the Rose Bowl. If that were to happen, the Heart of Dallas bowl would need to find an at-large team to fill its spot. The Big Ten already has an extra slot available since Penn State is ineligible for postseason play due to NCAA sanctions.

Why WSU will be invited:

Bringing coach Mike Leach back to the state of Texas is attractive to the administrators of the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Apart from increased TV interest, WSU athletic director Bill Moos says he expects as many as 2,000 Texas Tech fans to travel to a bowl in or near Texas to support their former coach.

Why WSU will not be invited:

The Heart of Dallas will have plenty of choices in a year with so many bowl eligible teams. Seven-win teams like Maryland and Georgia Tech, or even Oregon State could be attractive to the bowl directors.

With Kliff Kingsbury making hay in Lubbock and being quite popular as well, might the T.T. Leach legions be so much smaller now?

Having students there is also important, if that means paying less than 75 then do it. However, it's a moot point as it appears that there are cheaper tickets than $75.

I am fairly certain UNT will make a deal for student prices, so I'm not worried there. As for everyone else, every dollar that goes through the UNT ticket office is important. Buying from 3rd party sites doesn't help the university in any way. That is what I wanted to emphasize.

I think Oregon State is a good team--they certainly got better as the year went on. But, also remember that Oregon State opened their season by losing at home to Eastern Washington, a team in the FCS division, albeit a very good one.

No, the Michigan that almost beat Ohio State 2 days ago. That Michigan. Not the one from September.

• Downvote 1

And you let your respect for a program's history color your view of what the 2013 Michigan Wolverines actually are, which is a very average football team.

Would we win? Probably not. But you never know until you play the game. We played a much better Georgia team close well into the 3rd qtr.

And had, what, -7 rushing yards that game?

I was proud at how well we did in Georgia, but Georgia generally does play down to their opponents.

No, the Michigan that almost beat Ohio State 2 days ago. That Michigan. Not the one from September.

What about the Michigan that lost to Iowa...the week before Ohio State...and amassed 158 total yards while giving up over 400 in the process?

Again...I'm a Michigan fan telling you that if bad Devin Gardner shows up...something he does about 50% of the time...UNT has a good chance of beating Michigan.

http://espn.go.com/espntv/onair/index?start=12-08-13-5:00-PM

Mark your calendars. Bowl bids won't be publicly announced until ESPN's Bowl Selection Show, which will air next Sunday, Dec. 8, at 8 p.m. CST, which is immediately following the BCS Selection Show on ESPN.

Maybe we can have a watch party or something. I post this because we have a lot of people fretting about the bowl games and when we'll hear where we're going. It appears we will know for certain on Sunday night, if not earlier. Mark your calendars, and have your TV on.

• Upvote 1

What about the Michigan that lost to Iowa...the week before Ohio State...and amassed 158 total yards while giving up over 400 in the process?

Again...I'm a Michigan fan telling you that if bad Devin Gardner shows up...something he does about 50% of the time...UNT has a good chance of beating Michigan.

Iowa is a marginal top 25 team with a top 10 defense.

Edited by Coffee and TV