Official Derek Thompson Apology Thread

chrisfisher

Berglund has a better arm and is more accurate then anyone we have on the team. Fact!

Not to mention he has legs that can create plays and opens your playbook to were you can run damn near anything. You can't run the read option with DT because DT runs like he's hauling bolders behind him. Whether it's Berglund or Williams, either one will broaden this playbook and when you open your offense up you tend to get more and more athletes to come to your school. But hey guys Bowl Bound!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Credit where credit is due this year: higher completion percentage, fewer interceptions, and higher QB rating compared to last year. While all marginal increases--still better than last year. DT has done an admirable job this year, and he did seem to minimize some mistakes that he has made in the past.

• Upvote 2

DT has almost the exact same stats he did last year when everyone, including Mac, said we needed better QB play.

We are 8-4, and he is the QB, so he does deserve some of the credit, but we're light years better on defense and special teams...which has led to several wins on their own

Yup. 2640 yards, 14 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions this year, 2629 yards, 14 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions last year.
  • Upvote 2

Not to mention he has legs that can create plays and opens your playbook to were you can run damn near anything. You can't run the read option with DT because DT runs like he's hauling bolders behind him. Whether it's Berglund or Williams, either one will broaden this playbook and when you open your offense up you tend to get more and more athletes to come to your school. But hey guys Bowl Bound!!!!!

What did you think about Betglund in the fall camp scrimmages? I thought I remember you saying you were present for at least one of them and Berglund looked the best.

Yup. 2640 yards, 14 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions this year, 2629 yards, 14 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions last year.

Well, he's nothing if not consistent. 1 less INT and 11 more yards isn't a huge change. Seems like that's what they wanted...with improvement in the run game, special teams, and defense, having a similar performance from him got us to 8. Maybe they figured the time it would take for somebody else to develop enough would have put us behind in the W/L area early. Win with the consistent guy you have this year, and hopefully develop the others enough that they can take it up a notch next year. Solid plan from a conservative coach, if I'm reading it right.

What did you think about Betglund in the fall camp scrimmages? I thought I remember you saying you were present for at least one of them and Berglund looked the best.

As far as what I saw, he threw a tight spiral on all his throws and made plays with his feet when the opportunity presented itself. There has to be some reason why he's been over looked as far as the back up goes. It could be lack of playbook knowledge or maybe there is something behind closed doors that hinders him from getting PT.

We go 8-4, one game away from the CUSA West title after the crap we endured the last decade and some of you can only criticize our QB. That qualifies as "douche bag esque" in my book. Enjoy this season!

I totally agree! This has been a great season. Thank you DT for being the leader of our bowl bound team!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

DT has almost the exact same stats he did last year when everyone, including Mac, said we needed better QB play.

We are 8-4, and he is the QB, so he does deserve some of the credit, but we're light years better on defense and special teams...which has led to several wins on their own

So, you are basically saying our poor record last year can be traced back to poor defense and special teams?

So, you are basically saying our poor record last year can be traced back to poor defense and special teams?

Our team faltered in many different areas, many times last year.

My point is that if the QB play was deemed poor last year, it can't be deemed supper improved this year because the stats are identical

I don't think our QB play this year has been "good"

I am thrilled w/ the 8-4 record

I think we would be much better against the good teams with improved QB play

• Upvote 1

That's about the size of it: quarterbacking was already good enough for a winning season. But, as pointed out several times during the offseason, it's a team game.

Derek has always held up his end of the bargain. This season, the defense and special teams finally stepped up to join him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

DT was average this season which is definitely better than having a below average quarterback. I will gladly take the eight wins and hope he plays well enough to help us win the bowl game. My opinion of DT (as a player, he seems a outstanding young man) would certainly be different had he had a "Miracle in the Desert" moment but he ended two potential come-from-behind wins with game-ending interceptions. If he had made just one of those comebacks happen, he would be a hero to all of us. We can win with DT, but we have rarely won because of him. I will be excited to have a running threat taking snaps for us next year.

• Upvote 3

We go 8-4, one game away from the CUSA West title after the crap we endured the last decade and some of you can only criticize our QB. That qualifies as "douche bag esque" in my book. Enjoy this season!

That's about the size of it: quarterbacking was already good enough for a winning season. But, as pointed out several times during the offseason, it's a team game.

Derek has always held up his end of the bargain. This season, the defense and special teams finally stepped up to join him.

I'm glad to see there is some sanity on this board.

Well over 7,000 yards passing and a fist full of UNT records speaks for itself.

By the way he did rush for 155 yards and 3 TDs this year. (8 rushing TDs for his career)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DT was average this season which is definitely better than having a below average quarterback. I will gladly take the eight wins and hope he plays well enough to help us win the bowl game. My opinion of DT (as a player, he seems a outstanding young man) would certainly be different had he had a "Miracle in the Desert" moment but he ended two potential come-from-behind wins with game-ending interceptions. If he had made just one of those comebacks happen, he would be a hero to all of us. We can win with DT, but we have rarely won because of him. I will be excited to have a running threat taking snaps for us next year.

I completely agree

• Upvote 1

Damn, the Stone-Footed one only rushed for 17 yards, including 3 first downs to sustain drives for the Mean Green.....but did you see those high school passing stats of the three QB's Tulsa ran out there today??????

Me neither....

Seriously though, Derek Thompson with another solid performance, a 114 QB passer rating and a whole lot of leadership that will be sorely missed next year.

Thank you DT for your sacrifice and leadership and for helping bring respect back to our program.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have been Anti-DT all year and still am. The reason we are 8-4 is strictly because of our defense and with out them who knows where we would be. Our ground game won today not Thompson. He is still unathletic and lacks ball control. Yeah he is one of the top leaders in a bunch of all time passing stats but if you start as many games as he has, of course it will add up. That's great that we have won eight games and I couldn't be happier for this program. I also couldn't be happier that DT is a senior. Long live coach Mac!!!!!

This total nonsense: "If you start as many games as he has"...... Lots of QB's start as many games as DT, but do not accomplish what he has. Is he perfect? Far from it. But, he has done what is necessary to foster success and I salute him for that. This is a team sport, in case you haven't noticed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is this the tennis thread? What team wins because of a single player.

Sometimes I wonder if this fanbase deserves a bowl-eligible team?

Rick

Is this the tennis thread? What team wins because of a single player.

Sometimes I wonder if this fanbase deserves a bowl-eligible team?

Rick

Some in our fan base are trying to out-douche Texas and Oklahoma fans who complain when they win.

We should be grateful to every coach and player on this team for producing a winning/bowl season after the long absence of both that we have endured.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1