Future Indoor Facility on the Plains?

10Eagle10

I have long beat the drum for an indoor practice facility on S Bonnie Brae. Seeing this article made me wonder which Texas schools have and don't have indoor facility? I couldn't find a list, but schools that I know have a dedicated indoor facility are Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, and Houston. And while they're not in Texas or even our conference, the Ragin Cajuns have a pretty nice indoor facility over in Lafayette, LA.

Does UTSA use the Alamodome to practice indoors?

The article:

http://redraiders.com/filed-online/2013-11-25/kingsbury-downplays-need-indoor-facility-ad-says-its-priority#.UpYqjc_0EtN

Some snippets:

- Kliff Kingsbury’s not breathing down Kirby Hocutt’s neck to build his team an indoor practice facility. The Texas Tech football coach makes it sound as if he cares little whether one ever gets constructed.

- Tech has recently rekindled discussions with San Antonio architectural firm Marmon Mok to talk over size, scope and possible locations for such a facility.

- Snow had to be cleared from the Jones AT&T Stadium turf before the Red Raiders practiced on Sunday.

“We had a tractor out there moving it off, which took a little while yesterday, but we got it done,” Kingsbury said. “It’s been fine. It is what it is. We’ve practiced outside for a long time up here.”

Kingsbury’s shrugging off a perceived need for an indoor facility is nothing new at Tech. His old coach, Mike Leach, snorted in disgust at the idea of weather influencing where his team practiced. Leach seemed to take it as a badge of toughness to be outside on the worst weather days.

The last three years, it was much the opposite.

Tommy Tuberville, who was sensitive to weather effects on his team’s preparation, tried to push an indoor workout facility up the priority list. He favored building an indoor workout facility over one of the team’s two existing practice fields, adjoining the Red Raiders’ football building and weight room.

• Upvote 1

An indoor practice facility is less needed on the plains than in this area. There are fewer extremely hot days or stormy days. It does get very cold and that would be their primary use.

Here, we have more days with extreme heat, thunderstorms, and occasionally freezing temperatures. In addition, it could be used by other sports who would otherwise have to cancel practice.

I noticed that there was a proposal to build it over an existing practice field and I hope that we'd entertain that idea as well. Our practice facility is currently planned for the southwest corner of Mean Green Village which is about a quarter of a mile from the dressing rooms.

Edited by GrayEagle

I was thinking about an indoor facility when McCarney mentioned on his radio show that they didn't practice outside as they normally do on Sundays due to the weather. An indoor facility could help not only football but all sports ... and even the marching band ... if it's a full field size facility.

By full size do you mean 100 yards? Most indoor practice facilities are not the full 100 yards including full end zones.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

If ours became a multi-use (for multi-campus groups) indoor facility it would probably get constructed much more quickly. A little creative financing, ie, completely above board as well as TxHigherEdCoordBoard approved would be in order if required.

When the Green Brigade has one of their 3 or 4 daily rehearsals in August comes to mind for another

group who could utilize it and then during the Fall, too.

Off football season? Soccer, batting cages, volleyball adjunct, intramurals, etc, etc, etc, The groups could be endless but Mean Green football would still need to somehow have first dibs during 2-a-days, Fall & Spring football and so forth. A large gift donor which covers most of the cost for this facility could stipulate that.

Texas Heat & Humidity?

At some point I think you'd have to have our team practice in the heat and humidity to give them the kind of conditioning advantage we obviously had against teams from the north such as Ball State. As many of you have commented, the Cardinals wilted in the 2'nd half of that game at Apogee Stadium and their loss to UNT probably cost them a Top 25 ranking later in the season.

HIghland Park High School (Dallas) has a very nice indoor facility that looks nice to the eyes, too (not one ceiling steel beam in sight---and that probably because they were painted white to blend into the rest of the ceiling).

Yes, it's probably not high on our priority list for now...but I think it will be not long after a varsity baseball stadium is completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3tZwSWETk

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I'm on the fence about one. While I do agree they would be good to benefit the health of our athletes and the band could use it, having our players acclimated to the heat no doubt helped us in the Ball State game. I personally loved to practice on a muddy field back in the days. If there is a storm, and/or ligthing, it would be great because they could still practice during the weather.

But I think having the players acclimated to the heat is a MJAOR thing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

By full size do you mean 100 yards? Most indoor practice facilities are not the full 100 yards including full end zones.

I want a full 120 yards! No, I guess I just never thought of it. The one in the video above definitely isn't 100 yards. I don't necessarily like it tucked away in the corner but whatever. It will be a great addition to the Village when it eventually gets built.

Lets get some new lights in the Super Pit first. Yay new court and big ol center court jumbo scoreboard, but games still look like crap on TV.

RV has said he'd love to have new lights installed but wants the university to pay for them. At the very least re-lamping the fixtures we now would help with the quality of lighting a little bit.

• 2 months later...

Yep, most are regulation. TCU's, ATM's, Baylor's, Alabama's, Kansas, LSU's and U of La's are for sure.

Are you sure? I don't think all schools have the full 120 yard field:

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/facilities/tcu-facilities-baugh.html

Following a $7-million gift from the Jane and John Justin Foundation and Cox Family, the Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility and Cox Field is an 80,000-square foot complex that features an 80-yard field with a regulation 52-yard width and two full end zones. The climate-controlled facility measures 60 feet from turf to the highest point of its vaulted ceiling, which allows for all passing and kicking drills.

1) an indoor practice faclity doesn need to be 120 yards, most arent built to house a full size field. Baylor and TCU's are an 80yd field,

2) not only Texas colleges, but several high school programs around the state have built facilities.

3) Baseball is the bigger priority now, then I think a new track and field facility,

4) UTSA doesnt use the Alamodome for practice. They rent a high school stadium for a practice facility. They are/were builiding a track and practice facility that I think they finally has come online or soon will be.

5) Super Pit lights- technically the Pit is not an athletic facility. It was built as a convocation center and is under the control of the University, not the Athletic Dept.

• Upvote 3

Are you sure? I don't think all schools have the full 120 yard field:

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/facilities/tcu-facilities-baugh.html

Could have sworn TCUs' was the full length. Guess it was the full endzones that fooled me. Now you got me second guessing myself. i've been to all those that I listed. Most, if not all, over five years ago during the recruting process. Baylors' too? Damd it old age. Never mind. Don't listen to anything that I might have said.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 2

Why wait for baseball? Do it, make it happen. If High Schools can put one of these up then so can North Texas. If recruits come and visit from legitimate HS programs and North Texas doesn't have an indoor facility, but his HS did, wouldn't that make him scratch his head a bit? Money coming into UNT off of tuition alone is over half a billion dollars a year. What's the hold up? Rhetoric.

Why wait for baseball? Do it, make it happen. If High Schools can put one of these up then so can North Texas. If recruits come and visit from legitimate HS programs and North Texas doesn't have an indoor facility, but his HS did, wouldn't that make him scratch his head a bit? Money coming into UNT off of tuition alone is over half a billion dollars a year. What's the hold up? Rhetoric.

*sigh*...

• Upvote 1