UNT's prospects in the nfl draft?

untwillrise

Abbe has been getting notice and he has the size to play DT in the NFL, no one has ever argued that. Another guy I could see getting some looks would be Aaron Bellazin. He's leading the conference in sacks and he's got the size and length worth looking at.

As far as actually getting drafted, Orr and Chancellor have the best chances and they have pretty decent shots. Bellazin, Abbe, and Trice should get looks from scouts and hopefully camp invites. If Orr and/or Chancellor don't get drafted I see no way they don't get camp invites.

Senior bowl invitations are a pretty good indication of who might get drafted. If no one is invited to a senior bowl they'll likely go the free agent route. Those practices are huge for any prospects draft hopes. Although I will say there will definitely be more scouts than in years past at our pro day with three intriguing seniors in Chancellor, Orr & Abbe.

I see him being drafted. LB's are always stockpiled during the draft, especially the late rounds. Teams won't want to pass him up late and miss on such a sure thing.

His dad playing ten years in the league won't hurt his prospects at all, either

Craig Robertson's success can only help his chances to ending our drought by being drafted

Does anyone have ESPN Insider? I'm curious to know what they or any other draft boards say... http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/players/_/letter/o/draftyear/2014

• Upvote 1

I think Orr, Chancellor, and Abbe all have realistic chances to play on Sundays whether drafted or not. Two are a little shorter than ideal as far as NFL minds go, and the other might need to svelte himself down a little and improve his speed numbers. Trice and Bellazin can't be ruled out, but to answer the question, I suspect that Orr is the only guy with a solid chance on draft day. Of course that could all change if Brelan runs a few back for TD's in these last FOUR games.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned our most controversial player. Some people have mentioned that Derek Thompson has had some NFL looks. Is this just a rumor? Is it something based on his baseball background? He's got the size and the smarts, needs a little bit of work on his technique, but if you give him an NFL O-line and receivers that can catch anything in the zip code, is he somebody that they will pick up in as a free agent and try to develop?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned our most controversial player. Some people have mentioned that Derek Thompson has had some NFL looks. Is this just a rumor? Is it something based on his baseball background? He's got the size and the smarts, needs a little bit of work on his technique, but if you give him an NFL O-line and receivers that can catch anything in the zip code, is he somebody that they will pick up in as a free agent and try to develop?

He isn't accurate enough. This is t about completion percentage, but where he throws the ball to a receiver.

The tv announcers in the Georgia game mentioned that in the first half. Notice they shut up quick with that crazy talk in the second half.

I love you guys' enthusiasm, but we will be lucky if we have one player drafted. Orr, Abbe & Chancellor will probably be signed within 24 hours of the draft being over I just don't see them getting drafted. Keep in mind that during the bowl years we had one player drafted in the 6th round. Orr & Brelan are both undersized and will have to prove scouts wrong. Abbe has the measurables but hasn't had much production up until this year and like Brelan will have to show out at pro day to get on someones draft board. Just being realistic here, I think Cyril Lemon and A. Johnson have a good shot next year though.

• Upvote 1

I love you guys' enthusiasm, but we will be lucky if we have one player drafted. Orr, Abbe & Chancellor will probably be signed within 24 hours of the draft being over I just don't see them getting drafted. Keep in mind that during the bowl years we had one player drafted in the 6th round. Orr & Brelan are both undersized and will have to prove scouts wrong. Abbe has the measurables but hasn't had much production up until this year and like Brelan will have to show out at pro day to get on someones draft board. Just being realistic here, I think Cyril Lemon and A. Johnson have a good shot next year though.

100% agree. I think there is a bit of Mean Green glasses here. I LOVE Orr, but he is undersized. Guys like Orr that are super-productive at LB in college at his size transition to Safety in the NFL. Not sure he has the speed to play that position.

This takes absolutely nothing away from Orr. I would love our team to have 22 guys like Zach Orr, but it is reality.

And as for being drafted in the 3rd or 5th round. C'mon. 3rd round teams are still looking for starters. 4th/5th you plan on playing a lot. He would need to develop.

That being said I would love to be wrong here.

100% agree. I think there is a bit of Mean Green glasses here. I LOVE Orr, but he is undersized. Guys like Orr that are super-productive at LB in college at his size transition to Safety in the NFL. Not sure he has the speed to play that position.

This takes absolutely nothing away from Orr. I would love our team to have 22 guys like Zach Orr, but it is reality.

And as for being drafted in the 3rd or 5th round. C'mon. 3rd round teams are still looking for starters. 4th/5th you plan on playing a lot. He would need to develop.

That being said I would love to be wrong here.

I think he moves to OLB at the pro level and plays on passing downs.

Dont forget there are 3 phases in football. Offense, defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS.

So, ya, I think Zach could go as high as late 3rd if he impresses in the combine (I think he gets an invite after being named CUSA 1st team and defensive player of the year).

The thing that will impress pro scouts is that Zach very very very rarely misses a tackle, will knock the snot outta you, and is almost always where he is supposed to be in UNT's scheme.

Even if he goes undrafted (highly unlikely), he will be on someone's roster on opening day, 2014. He is simply too good of a football player not to be. Throw in his character and leadership and it's a lock.

Edited by UNT90

I think he moves to OLB at the pro level and plays on passing downs.

Dont forget there are 3 phases in football. Offense, defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS.

So, ya, I think Zach could go as high as late 3rd if he impresses in the combine (I think he gets an invite after being named CUSA 1st team and defensive player of the year).

The thing that will impress pro scouts is that Zach very very very rarely misses a tackle, will knock the snot outta you, and is almost always where he is supposed to be in UNT's scheme.

Even if he goes undrafted (highly unlikely), he will be on someone's roster on opening day, 2014. He is simply too good of a football player not to be. Throw in his character and leadership and it's a lock.

If he gets that combine invite, I think you're dead on. I really hope he does.

He's going to kill it in whatever senior bowl he's invited to, so coaches will get a good look at him at one those practices as well...