Derek Thompson...an elephant in the room?

meangreener

Okay, first off, I was NOT a Derek Thompson fan coming into this season. Was firmly on the Berglund bandwagon. Derek has done a lot of things to prove me wrong and I love that, but I still worry with him at times. I've started to wonder if at some point, Derek's mistakes (those 1-2 interceptions per game) will kill our super high aspirations (bowl win, or a possible championship game.)

I mean, our offense hasn't really been tested that much outside of a few games. Our defense has played the part of scoring as has our special teams. Recently, we've just been running the ball to score but using the pass to set up the run (which is unexpected) but we're still mainly a running team. At some point, we're going to need our offense to be that game-changer like they were against Ball State, but are they? Derek looked excellent versus Ball, but hasn't looked that good since.

I really worry about Derek Thompson. He has shown a new ability to scramble and has a rocket of an arm (also really accurate this year) but really makes those BAD turnovers at the wrong times (that pick at the Rice game scared the hell out of me.) I think the Ohio game was the one where we needed them to finish it off and he threw a pick there, too. I think Chico and Mac shield Derek and let him loose sometimes which is good and all, but I'm starting to wonder if his inability to cut down the turnovers will hurt us big time at some point. He was really atrocious versus Rice and while he wasn't needed that much, he looked off. Sometimes he looks excellent, making the huge throws, and sometimes he doesn't, in fact, he looks awful.

The defense is on fire now—no doubt—but you can't always rely on defensive points.

Just some morning reflections on if Derek can get us to where we want to go this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

We will win with Derek and lose with him. Not because of.

At some point though, your QB holds you back. As a Texans fan, I know this very well.

I like what Derek has done. He's going to go down as a UNT great and he definitely deserves it. Just need more consistency out of him or I worry it's gonna hurt the team badly.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If it is the pick I'm remembering, it was tipped by a defender. Not a great thing obviously but not like he threw it right into the defenders hands. I'm done complaining about Derek at this point. He's come way too far and improved enough to where I'll just say I'm cautiously optimistic about his progress and leave it at that.

I'm more worried that Dajon's injury will leave him without necessary in game experience for the start of next year. I'm hoping his injury (do we know what it was, officially?) will resolve itself in time for the last of the season so he can play in some mop up time.

• Upvote 4

Rice is a decent team and they have some good cover corners that played 5 yards off our wrs.

There is a big drop off in defensive talent these last 3 games. We should be ok.

I dont think ecu or Marshall has a great defense, if we get to a cusa ship.

Marshall no. ECU yes. If we faced ECU we would not be able to run the ball very well. Ultimately the game would come down to throwing the ball. I think we could hold the ECU offense to around 24 or 25 points, not sure if our offense could generate 4 TD's against their D without help from the D or special teams.

• Upvote 1

Derek has really improved in most areas like his completion percentage being up from 56% a year ago after 9 games to 67% now. There are so many things he has improved on and done well. The only area where the improvement doesn't reflect is the TD to INT. You would think with the better completion percentage it would translate to more a few more TD's than INT's. I don't think anyone is doubting what he has accomplished. We just know that if we are going to win these games down the stretch we need second half Ball St. Derek to be present and accounted for in every game.

We don't need Derek to be a world beater like Johnny Football. We need Derek to be A.J McCarron. He needs to understand that a punt is not a bad thing. Those 11 guys on defense have his back. There is no need to force a pass into any coverage. If you don't feel comfortable then throw it away or tuck it away and pick up a few. I can live with that and most fans should. What I cant live with it is the mistakes that give away points.

In the end I think they trust Derek, but only to a certain point.

Derek has really improved in most areas like his completion percentage being up from 56% a year ago after 9 games to 67% now. There are so many things he has improved on and done well. The only area where the improvement doesn't reflect is the TD to INT. You would think with the better completion percentage it would translate to more a few more TD's than INT's. I don't think anyone is doubting what he has accomplished. We just know that if we are going to win these games down the stretch we need second half Ball St. Derek to be present and accounted for in every game.

We don't need Derek to be a world beater like Johnny Football. We need Derek to be A.J McCarron. He needs to understand that a punt is not a bad thing. Those 11 guys on defense have his back. There is no need to force a pass into any coverage. If you don't feel comfortable then throw it away or tuck it away and pick up a few. I can live with that and most fans should. What I cant live with it is the mistakes that give away points.

Exactly. McCarron DOESN'T turn the ball over; hence why Alabama wins all the big games. That's all we need from DT. Don't beat us with stupid turnovers on screen passes and late throws over the middle, and make a few big plays and third down conversions in the passing game.

• Upvote 1

That's exactly what we need. UNT90 will say they don't trust him to toss the deep pass but they do. They love the deep pass to Brelan. But, absolutely, I think our coaching staff is a little bit gun-shy because of the turnovers he tends to make in bad moments.

I think we need a bit more consistency out of Derek (like I said, the Rice game, his performance was wholly unimpressive) and him to stop tossing so many interceptions and I think we'd be fine. I mean, if 2nd half BS Derek showed up week in and out, I'd be fine with that, but we really just need a game manager to win. Not discounting what he's doing. But he doesn't have to be a world beater, just needs to be smarter.

Like you said before, I'm concerned at some point we'll need him to show up like he did in the Ball State game again and play perfect football. Hopefully he does.

Be careful with this statement. I got blasted earlier this season for comparing Schaub and DT

He reminds me of 2009 era Matt Schaub. Not 2013.
Edited by meangreener

At this stage, what is the alternative. I have been impressed early in the year with his noticeable improvement from the previous years. However, he needs to step it up some down the road. Or, maybe more to the point, he should be allowed to step it up.

You can only hide your QB for so long. I don't think they do. Rice was going to force us to either manhandle their D or beat them through the air. We chose manhandle their D. But at some point, you're going to have to beat that team through the air like we did against Ball State and (was it Louisiana Tech I'm thinking of? I don't know, this season has been too much fun and has all blended together.)

He is a hell of a game manager if he wouldn't make those hideous picks every game. There's always 1. Had our defense not been on fire, that could've been a game changer.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

So the kid is setting records and the staff doesn't trust him? The receiver lets the ball bounce off his hands and you "don't trust Derek". Get grip. He has put the team on his back a couple of times this year. Ball State anyone? He is a spread offense QB that has figured out a way to fit within a conservative offensive style and clearly establish himself as a leader on the team.

#hatersgonnahate

#cantfixstupid

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

You know you also got to do the things that Derek does best like those designed roll outs, occasional deep shots, and anything that gets the ball out of his hand quickly. When he sits back there and has to pat the ball his footwork gets all kinds of ugly. How many times have we seen the throw off the back foot or leaning back? He is best when he hits those 3 steps and bam ball is out, or when he is on the designed roll out and he only has to read a 3rd of the field. Its simple look deep okay not there, intermediate out route not there, TE arrow route its there bam ball is out and on target.

He is a hell of a lot better. Don't think anyone is arguing that.

He's lights out when he plants, but he throws off his back foot often causing that INT. He was on the run, tossed off his back foot into traffic when he should've just tossed it away. Old DT shows back up for 2 plays a game.

That's nitpicking, but just my worry. Don't want to see this team get derailed.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I would not say he even manages the game well. A game manager doesn't have a TD/INT ratio like DT has. We have won numerous games bc of our special teams and defense. Has he improved from last season? Yes. Does he still make too many mistakes? Yes. Does he still have accuracy issues? Yes. You can say he's thrown for blah blah yards, and has "X" number of 300 yd games but if you actually watch the games you can see that there is room for improvement at the QB position.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Find it a little disconcerting that this topic continues to come up. DT has done exactly what a UNT QB should be doing...helping his team win games. UNT is 6-3. First time UNT has seen six wins since, what, 2004? As I recall, many here were of the mind "just win", and that nothing else matters. Seems to me DT and company have done just that. Is it now a "style show" instead of a "just win" situation? Seems the kid can't catch a break with some.

Yes, mistakes matter...like dropped "sure" interceptions, like the DB's getting burned for long TD's by our opponents, like the 4-5 penalties from the last game, like the int's and like the fumbles and like the blocked field goal against Tulane. But what matters the most is does the team overcome the mistakes and win. Seems that six wins says the team is doing plenty to overcome its errors on BOTH sides of the ball.

My only concern about DT is that he stay healthy the rest of the way. An injured DT could really really hurt.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2