Win Tomorrow and Loss By Tulane Saturday = Tied for 1st

LongJim

What is the tiebreaker?

Tiebreaker
The following tiebreaker formula is recommended for the Conference USA Football Championship
game:
Two-team tie to determine host
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, team with highest BCS ranking.
Two-team or multiple team tie for divisional champion
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.
4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.
6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of
finish.
7. If still tied, team with highest BCS ranking.
8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship
game most recently.
9. If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams will begin the
process again at #2.

What is the tiebreaker?

The italicized portion is what's interesting:

Tiebreaker

The following tiebreaker formula is recommended for the Conference USA Football Championship

game:

Two-team or multiple team tie for divisional champion:

4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.

6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of

finish.

8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship

game most recently.

9. If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams will begin the

process again at #2.

Obviously it would be great for Tulane to lose Saturday and once more, but I believe the tie would be broken at #6 if Tulane only loses to Rice from here out, Rice loses to UNT and wins out, and UNT wins the rest of their games. I may be reading it wrong, however. Probably am.

Edited by LongJim

And the thing about Tulane vs Florida Atlantic is... it's Florida Atlantic, I wouldn't bet on a Tulane loss but I hope for one.

Florida Atlantic - 1 & 4 in the Conference, 2 & 6 Overall

Tulane - 4 & 0 in the Conference, 6 & 2 Overall

I'll still be rooting for Florida Atlantic, they do have the home field advantage and I'm sure they would like to become bowl eligible, which means they have to win all of their remaining games. They are going to be hungry for a win.

FAU can beat Tulane. FAU plays good at home (they got a new stadium when Apogee opened too) and they've played everyone tough this year. They've only had two home games this year but they lost to MUTS by a touchdown and in their last home game they lost to Marshall by just one point.

They've also played Rice to a 4 point game, hung in it with ECU, and beaten USF and UAB both by double digits. All on the road.

FAU's defense will keep them in it, they just need their offense to capitalize and score enough points. Much like Tulsa wasn't able to do last week.

Of course, let's take care of our business first.

I brought this up already...as well as the fact that if this happens, we will have the longest win streak in the conference, since Rice's and the other green people's will have ended with this scenario.

The italicized portion is what's interesting:

Tiebreaker

game:

Two-team or multiple team tie for divisional champion:

finish.

game most recently.

process again at #2.

Obviously it would be great for Tulane to lose Saturday and once more, but I believe the tie would be broken at #6 if Tulane only loses to Rice from here out, Rice loses to UNT and wins out, and UNT wins the rest of their games. I may be reading it wrong, however. Probably am.

Why does everyone ignore #9?

I brought this up already...as well as the fact that if this happens, we will have the longest win streak in the conference, since Rice's and the other green people's will have ended with this scenario.

I know that you mean Tulane but this is pretty much the green conference. In basketball this season there will be no less than five green teams...Marshall, Charlotte, UAB, Tulane and us.

i'd like to see the Owls win but I'm afraid that FAU is a lot like Tulsa; good defense but not enough offense to beat the Green Wave. The Tulane defense is really good but a mother couldn't love that offense. You'd think that sooner or later the charade will fail.

Edited by GrayEagle