Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

Ok, do we think there will be any changes from the starting lineup we say against Portugal?

I'm thinking the starters all stay the same, depending on what result we need late, maybe get Julian Green in the match late? Might be extra cool for his WC debut to be against Germany. (I have no idea what score line would be bet for this, just think its cool)

Maybe see someone other than Bedoya, but otherwise I'd still expect to see the same lineup. Also, should Gonzales see the field today, I am just going to lose it. Yes, I understand he's exactly what we need to defend Lahm's crosses.

Not sure if the rain helps or hurts our cause today. With no rain, I'd say that there is no way we even come close to shutting out Germany. Now maybe there is a chance.

Also, special thanks go out to the Ghana Federation for being a bunch of bungling morons. Kicking Muntari off the squad (along with Boateng who's not as big a loss) and thrusting the team into a state of turmoil definitely helps us---well, as long as they don't completely face plant and lose something like 5-0. JEEZ this crap is stressful to follow!

**Edit: scratch that. GONZALES IN FOR CAMERON?!!? DAMMIT. Davis in for Bedoya.

Edited by TIgreen01

I'm trying not to over hype this... but this is the biggest game in the history of this quadrant of the galaxy. If we don't win, we should restart the Nuremberg Trials and bring the entire country of Germany to justice once again.

If we aren't winning by 45 at half, we should fire Tony Benford. When asked for a comment, Benford was quoted as saying "Is basketball the one where you can use your feet? I really should know this."

PS: Why isn't the chat room working?

Edited by Cerebus

US National Team midfielder Clint Dempsey aka Deuce teams with Houston rappers BIG HAWK and XO:

What have you done to show your commitment to winning? Just this morning I threw out all the sauerkraut in my fridge AND drop kicked a German Shepard I saw on my way to work.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

What Americans always see to lack as compared to the best in the world is first touch. So many times I see people get a ball in a very advantageous spot, then they waste the chance by having to collect the ball... by that time the defense has closed the gap.

I know Messi/Ronaldo type players are the best in the world, but I would love to see an American become that type of player sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1

Dempsey returning to MLS hasn't seemed to have noticeably hurt his game. In fact, most of our MLS based players have played well. Bradley is another story entirely. I almost wonder if he's sporting some minor injuries that are affecting him. Early in the MLS season he was very good but his form was trending down as the season progressed, and now he's just a shell of his former self.

Edited by TIgreen01

Dempsey returning to MLS hasn't seemed to have noticeably hurt his game. In fact, most of our MLS based players have played well. Bradley is another story entirely. I almost wonder if he's sporting some minor injuries that are affecting him. Early in the MLS season he was very good but his form was trending down as the season progressed, and now he's just a shell of his former self.

Bradley moved to MLS to get consistent action ahead of the World Cup...he was less than 100% at the start of Roma's campaign and subsequently lost his starting spot.

He's been far from great, undoubtedly...but he put in a solid defensive shift today and he was also directly responsible for the US's 3 legit chances against Germany (Zusi's shot, the beautiful through-ball to Jones and the last flurry in the 93rd or so).

He needs to be better against Belgium, but the idea of dropping him is just stupid.

• Upvote 1

Bradley moved to MLS to get consistent action ahead of the World Cup...he was less than 100% at the start of Roma's campaign and subsequently lost his starting spot.

He's been far from great, undoubtedly...but he put in a solid defensive shift today and he was also directly responsible for the US's 3 legit chances against Germany (Zusi's shot, the beautiful through-ball to Jones and the last flurry in the 93rd or so).

He needs to be better against Belgium, but the idea of dropping him is just stupid.

Who said anything about dropping him?