Why There Is No Such Thing As A "Medical Redshirt"........

FirefightnRick

I dont claim to be the know-all on this subject so if I misquote something please correct me where needed. But It's my goal for the week that the fanbase of GMG.com becomes the ONLY college sports message board that understands the difference between a Redshirt year as it pertains to the Five Year Rule, and a Medical Hardship Waiver. Surely together we can get this straight once and for all?

First,..there is no such thing as a "Medical Redshirt". In fact, unless I'm missing it, no where within the NCAA bylaws of sec 14 is the term "Medical Redshirt" or even "Redshirt" mentioned. But for some reason, possibly for simplistic sake, the extra year not counted towards the 4 years of competition is referred to as a "Redshirt". Then, for some reason and who knows why,...a "Medical Hardship Waiver",.. which is an extended year added to the 5 years due to hardship,..ie (an injury)... is ways misnamed as a "Medical Redshirt".

A "Redshirt" and a "Medical Hardship Waiver" are two completely different subjects.

I posted NCAA by law 14.2.4 here before that explains all of this and will do it again.

Scroll to the bottom of page 148 where by law 14.2.4 begins.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

14.2.4 Hardship waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the confer- ence or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of hardship. Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 8/8/02, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two- year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athletes senior year in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/1/01, 8/8/02)

(b.) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that con- cludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to com- pete for the remainder of that playing season; (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/3/02, 4/24/08)

(c.) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institutions scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States.) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competi- tion in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sports Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such by in the sports Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations; and (Revised: 1/10/92, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 3/10/04, 5/11/05, 8/4/05, 4/26/07, 9/18/07, 4/24/08)

So allow me to try and simplify this:

Per the Five Year Rule, which starts on page 145,....that allows you 5 years to play 4 seasons of competition with a "redshirt" year included within those 5 years...and through by law 14.2.3...Criteria For Determining Season Of Competition...

IF A PLAYER...

***Plays one snap of football in any game then that season counts toward his 4 years, and he is immediately INELIGIBLE for a "redshirt" season. That ONE snap starts his clock to tick and he is now down to 4 years to play 3.

For eligibility to request a Medical Hardship Waiver in a 12 game schedule plus a conference championship game...13 games total....

IF A PLAYER...

***Plays in 5 games of the first 7 games of the season he is INELIGIBLE to request a Medical Hardship Waiver from the conference. This rule can only be overruled by the Committe on Student-Athlete Reinstatement.

14.2.4.2 Administration of Hardship Waiver. The hardship waiver shall be administered by the member conferences of the Association or, in the case of an independent member institution, by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Revised: 10/28/04, 4/20/09)

14.2.4.2.1 Review of Denied Waiver. A conference that denies an institutions hardship waiver may submit the waiver to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. The committee shall have the authority to review and determine whether to approve the waiver based on circumstances that may warrant relief from the application of the legislated waiver criteria. (Adopted: 4/20/09)

So again.... a "Redshirt" and a "Medical Hardship Waiver" are two complete different subjects.

A "Redshirt" is the year of non-competition built within the 5 years an athlete is given to play 4 years.

And a "Medical Hardship Waiver" is an extension to the 5 years due to hardship.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Uummm, people are still going to use the term redshirt. Coaches, players, announcers, etc still use the term incorrectly. Who says medical hardship waiver other than NCAA officials?

you probably use just your thumb and 2 fingers to make the talon, too.

• Upvote 3

Uummm, people are still going to use the term redshirt. Coaches, players, announcers, etc still use the term incorrectly. Who says medical hardship waiver other than NCAA officials?

Ummmmm,...and some people still won't use a seatbelt while driving a car.

...and some people still misspell or misuse the word lose and loose...

... and some people still refer to North Texas as a commuter school..

.... and some people still claim the Mean Green nickname came from "Big" Joe Greene...

...and.....

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I guess the last attempts at being funny or sarcastic are aimed at my comments, but dont be mad at me. Im not promoting the incorrect term throughout college football.

Sorry your feelings are hurt. Thats just the way it is. Lets see if dajons classification will be "medical hardship waiver freshman"

Well Bob, this dajon is a good looking kid. Yeah, steve...he's a medical hardship waiver freshman...he played a few series last year.

I guess the last attempts at being funny or sarcastic are aimed at my comments, but dont be mad at me. Im not promoting the incorrect term throughout college football.

Sorry your feelings are hurt. Thats just the way it is. Lets see if dajons classification will be "medical hardship waiver freshman"

Well Bob, this dajon is a good looking kid. Yeah, steve...he's a medical hardship waiver freshman...he played a few series last year.

If the day goes by and you become the only poster who understands the difference between the "Redshirt" and the "Medical Hardship Waiver" and understand that they are two separate things then I will consider this thread a success.... now matter what punctuation you used or any attempt at sarcasm or humor or whatever????!!!!....???!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Im not getting into an internet forum war dude. You win. Its not my fault the team lost and people use the term redshirt.

Who said it was your fault the team lost, dude?

I'm simply trying to help people learn something that is constantly misunderstood on message boards and in the media nearly every week. We go through this every year. Some new poster comes on here in the middle of the season after a player has played or gets hurt and states..." I hope we REDSHIRT so and so the rest of the year...".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

As is always the case, while reading through the bylaws I learn something new every time.

***Prior to the first day of Fall Camp all incoming freshmen, walk on's and transfers must be allowed a 5 day "Acclimatization" period.

***A team's regular season must conclude by the second Saturday or Sunday of December. I assume this includes conference championships?

***After the last regular season game, including conference championships,... And before January 1, a player cannot participate in more than 8 hours of training/practice per week,.. And can only "WATCH FILM" for two hours of those 8 hours. That's an interesting one to me.

Rick

Here is a bylaw of interest that may apply to Dajon or any other athlete down the road.

14.2.6.3 Extenuating Circumstances. Extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to, the fol- lowing: (Adopted: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)

(a) The student-athlete failed to complete the entire season of competition at the institution as a result of

a life-threatening injury or illness suffered by a member of the student-athletes immediate family, that clearly is supported by contemporaneous medical documentation; (Adopted: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, Revised: 10/28/04)

(b.) The student-athlete failed to complete the entire season of competition at the institution as a result of extreme financial difficulties as a result of a specific event (e.g., layoff, death in family) experienced by the student-athlete or an individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent and prohibited the student-athlete from participating in intercollegiate athletics. These circumstances must be clearly supported by objective documentation (e.g., decree of bankruptcy, proof of termination) and must be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent; (Adopted: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, Revised: 10/28/04)

(c.) The student-athletes institution dropped the sport (in which the student practiced or competed) from its intercollegiate program. (Adopted: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)

Rick

It's the same damn thing. Yes the Medical Hardship waiver blah blah blah is the technical term, BUT NOBODY EXCEPT FFR CALLS IT THAT!

I don't think it is, because I don't think you can apply for it until after your regular senior season.

Also, a redshirt is automatic. No petitioning the NCAA for an exception, which is what you do with a medical hardship. They are not automatic. Ask... Nathan Tune, wasn't it?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

It's the same damn thing. Yes the Medical Hardship waiver blah blah blah is the technical term, BUT NOBODY EXCEPT FFR and the NCAA and every compliance officer in the country CALLS IT THAT!

There you go. I actually think we are getting somewhere, cause at least you didnt call the Automatic 5th year(Redshirt) the same damn thing as the Medical Hardship Waiver.

Rick

I don't think it is, because I don't think you can apply for it until after your regular senior season.

Also, a redshirt is automatic. No petitioning the NCAA for an exception, which is what you do with a medical hardship. They are not automatic. Ask... Nathan Tune, wasn't it?

Mike, to reply to the bolded part above,.. you are absolutely correct. It is automatic,.. And to Houston's defense, and as I mentioned before,. the automatic year has been referred to as a "Redshirt" for simplistic sake. Someone in the past, a coach, an A.D., a reporter, whoever it was must have first referred to it as such and it stuck. They could have easily termed it Blueshirt, Yellowshirt, or whatever. We call it a redshirt and that's fine.

But what has bothered me is that people get it mixed up with the Hardship Waiver... again something labeled as a Medical Redshirt prlbablu for simplistic sake,.. And these two things are completely separate.

One is automatic and one is applied for by request. And as you correctly point out, is anything but AUTOMATIC. And keep in mind, all those years we applied for it for players like Muzzy, it was the Sunbelt conference that first turned us down. Your school's conference is who you first request the MHW. Then after that the body of the NCAA committee called the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement may be sent a request. I assume once they turn you down that's it.

What I want to know now, and I haven't been able to find out yet is,... Can you activate your Automatic redshirt year in between other years, say in between your junior and senior year? It seems you can but Im not sure.

Also, I believe any MHW can be applied at any point in an athletes career, not just following their senior year. At least I have not yet been able to find anything that counters that so far.

That's why I started this thread. To get answers to some of these questions.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think most people understand that there is a difference between the two... maybe not down to the NCAA rulebook level though.

2 different phrases: "Hey, we redshirted such-and-such guy" (being a regular redshirt), and "Such-and-such guy got a medical redshirt" (being a Medical Hardship Waiver). I guess it's like slang.

Good points.

I simply started this because here and elsewhere I still see folks getting them mixed together. Plus there are some interesting information in there too.

Rick

A medical hardship waiver is not the same as a 6th year of eligibility. A hardship waiver is a way to get a season treated like a redshirt season (hence, the common nickname "medical redshirt"), even though a player has played in actual games. DT is an example, as is Riley Dodge and several others. A hardship waiver makes it possible for someone to play in 5 different seasons.

Getting the 6th year of eligibility is a whole different deal.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98