Could DT have been hamstrung last year? Hear me out...

Harry

I was thinking about the fact that last year McNulty redshirted with the injury and it never appeared that the coaching staff felt comfortable with Oz...

Is it a fair assumption to say with the paper thin depth at QB that UNT was doing everything possible to protect DT and in the process sort of dumbed down what we did? We all know he was releasing the ball VERY quickly and there were very few sacks given up.

It seems to me that with McNulty back, Berglund and now the freshman Williams you have more depth and that might allow them to unleash DT (especially with designed QB draw/run plays) more than they did last year.

I'm pretty sure our depth chart for most of last season was DT and Osborn? Everything after that was walk-ons once McNulty was lost.

I was thinking about the fact that last year McNulty redshirted with the injury and it never appeared that the coaching staff felt comfortable with Oz...

Is it a fair assumption to say with the paper thin depth at QB that UNT was doing everything possible to protect DT and in the process sort of dumbed down what we did? We all know he was releasing the ball VERY quickly and there were very few sacks given up.

It seems to me that with McNulty back, Berglund and now the freshman Williams you have more depth and that might allow them to unleash DT (especially with designed QB draw/run plays) more than they did last year.

I'm pretty sure our depth chart for most of last season was DT and Osborn? Everything after that was walk-ons once McNulty was lost.

No, Troy game, he could not hit a man in the red zone with time? Looked like a mechanics issue, not sure how that would be to protect him.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2

I'm not sure what was worse the depth at QB or the depth at WR. I think both will be much better this season. As much as we like to bash DT for bad throws (and there were plenty of those) there were tons of drops and wrong routes run by the WR's. Any combination of improvement in those areas will have us moving the ball through the air more efficiently.

• Upvote 4

I'm not sure what was worse the depth at QB or the depth at WR. I think both will be much better this season. As much as we like to bash DT for bad throws (and there were plenty of those) there were tons of drops and wrong routes run by the WR's. Any combination of improvement in those areas will have us moving the ball through the air more efficiently.

Exactly!!!!! I agree with this and H above.

Rick

• Upvote 3

He had protection from a good line and produced like a lower rung SBC QB. With the sack total last year, that's unacceptable and not good enough to push this team over .500. The talent level is slowly coming along with Mac running this program. However, this team needs an elite player to step up and help push them over the hump. The QB can do that, but can DT?????

• Upvote 4

Ding, Ding, and we have a winner! DT will actually have a rushing yard total this year as the staff is more comfortable with his backups. Derek won't be compared to Johnny Football but he will actually be able to completely utilize the Zone Read Option this year. Count on it! Exciting season getting ready to unfold before your very eyes!

• Upvote 5

Exactly!!!!! I agree with this and H above.

Rick

It could be a sure sign of the apocalypse, but I totally agree with FirefightnRick. Glick1980 hit the nail squarely on the head.

Consider that last year DT played in a run first offense and still averaged 220.8 yards passing per game with a thin & injured group of receivers.

As glick1980 said, any combination of improvements should cause the offense to be more efficient.

I just hope Mac works in a number of plays each game for the development a back up QB. (BB or DW running the wildcat, etc)

• Upvote 1

Guess what? No-confidence Osborn has just as good/better stats than Little Mac. Realize that both have had limited playing time but Osborn had a Quarterback Rating of around 140 to McNulty's 107.59. Both have produced 2 touchdowns. Osborn had 21 attempts with 0 interceptions; McNulty had 3 interceptions in 51 attempts. In four carries Osborn averaged 4 YPC while Little Mac averaged 2.48 on 23 carries. McNulty did average about a yard more per passing attempt than Osborn.

Yes, they may not have had confidence in Osborn but it appears to be unfounded. If McNulty was considered a solid backup then so should Osborn have been. It sounds as if it were personal to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Guess what? No-confidence Osborn has just as good/better stats than Little Mac. Realize that both have had limited playing time but Osborn had a Quarterback Rating of around 140 to McNulty's 107.59. Both have produced 2 touchdowns. Osborn had 21 attempts with 0 interceptions; McNulty had 3 interceptions in 51 attempts. In four carries Osborn averaged 4 YPC while Little Mac averaged 2.48 on 23 carries. McNulty did average about a yard more per passing attempt than Osborn.

Yes, they may not have had confidence in Osborn but it appears to be unfounded. If McNulty was considered a solid backup then so should Osborn have been. It sounds as if it were personal to me.

I'm sure a lot of us wondered about the same thing. How close did Osborn get us inside the red zone against Alabama, to be pulled? And how badly did McNulty play against Tulsa, not to be pulled? But, as much as we would all believe that personal feelings should be kept out of personnel decisions of all kinds, we all know that personal feelings factor into what people do at work. Hey, all coaches have their doghouses; sometimes they seem more like a roach motel.

Personal, absolutely.

The way Osborn left definitely added weight to that theory. He left the team and has not, to my knowledge, seeked out playing at another school for his last year of eligibility.

Osborn is/was going to school at UNT last spring and this summer.

Thank you.

But this makes it seem even more fishy. Osborn quit the team. When a scholarship athlete who's been at an FCS team, a JUCO, and here for two years just quits the sport with a year of eligibility left, despite still being at the school, it signals some frustration.

Thank you.

But this makes it seem even more fishy. Osborn quit the team. When a scholarship athlete who's been at an FCS team, a JUCO, and here for two years just quits the sport with a year of eligibility left, despite still being at the school, it signals some frustration.

Or, he's burnt out on the game. 2 of what could be many other things.

Unless you know him personally?

Or, he's burnt out on the game. 2 of what could be many other things.

Unless you know him personally?

No I don't, and that's very possible too.

I could be reading too much into things, but it did seem like no matter what he did he wasn't going to get a shot, whether he deserved one or not. Especially after that Tulsa game his first year and watching DT struggle last year and never get a chance. That has to be frustrating.

• Upvote 1

I'd be more inclined to believe Derek Thompson was hamstrung by the coaching staff last if he was a freshman or sophomore, but he's not. He's going into this fall as a senior quarterback who is average at best. Sure, it would help if he got more production from the wide receiver position, but that's going to be enough for Thompson to suddenly go a quarterback who wins 6 or 7 games and gets this team to a bowl game. That fact that the highly touted Berglund has been way less than impressive is very concerning. With Derek Thompson under center, UNT doesn't win more than 4 games this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Aren't you just a ray of Sunshine. Here's a :mom:

I'd be more inclined to believe Derek Thompson was hamstrung by the coaching staff last if he was a freshman or sophomore, but he's not. He's going into this fall as a senior quarterback who is average at best. Sure, it would help if he got more production from the wide receiver position, but that's going to be enough for Thompson to suddenly go a quarterback who wins 6 or 7 games and gets this team to a bowl game. That fact that the highly touted Berglund has been way less than impressive is very concerning. With Derek Thompson under center, UNT doesn't win more than 4 games this season.

• Upvote 1

Aren't you just a ray of Sunshine. Here's a :mom:

Well, aren't you just an overly optimistic sunshine pumper...

See how that works?

The fact that the coaching staff named a guy the starter that they did EVERYTHING HUMANLY POSSIBLE to replace (right or wrong) in the off-season, the same QB that they wouldn't let throw a pass the last half quarter against WKU in a meaningless game at the end of last season, tells me that we will see the same WAY conservative offense.

It also tells me that we will see 8 and 9 in the box again, especially on 1st and second down. It tells me that the coaching staff will continue to be VERY conservative in their play calling because they don't trust the QB. It tells me we are in for every win being a close win and more DD style run the clock offense, without the mid-tenure DD defense.

And this is far more a criticism of the coach staff than of any QB on the roster, both in their play calling and their failure to recruit QB talent that THEY trust.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Who dat' in the YouTube video below inhabiting #7's uni' against #15 Kansas State last Fall? Was it...........could it possibly be..........Casper the unfriendly ghost in that uni'?

......and who dat' inside #7's uni' who showed that when the game plan was crafted for his skills; when he didn't have his best receiver injured (and others dropping passes) and the MG running game was going great guns that DK#7 could even defy his greatest critics--even those of the home-grown variety? So........surely that wasn't Derek Thompson inside that North Texas #7 uni' ? Or.................was it?

Seriously, the 5 minute version of this video shows a more complete version of what I believe our 5'th year senior QB can do for this Fall's Mean Green football team but here is a shorter version. Forget about statistics--didn't John Madden once say..........."statistics are for losers?"

:no: Fellow alums, Mean Green fans and DT's biggest (yet understandably concerned as loyal alums) critics.............just take an extended look at the very opening scene of this YouTube video below. I know how it made me feel about a 5'th year North Texas QB who looking back a few Fall campaigns ago someone told him in entertainment jargon to.........."break a leg".........well.......at Clemson U before almost 80,000 fans....he did just that. He broke his leg or a 340 pound DL broke it for him.

And when DT#7 becomes an older North Texas alum one day, chances are that he will probably still be feeling the effects of that broken leg many decades later. Yeah, you're right...it's just part of the game, but just like many of you....I can't and won't criticize Derek Thompson because he's for too many of the same things that we're for as a Mean Green Nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgncfMeAhrY

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

Who dat' in the YouTube video below inhabiting #7's uni' against #15 Kansas State last Fall? Was it...........could it possibly be..........Casper the unfriendly ghost in that uni'?

......and who dat' inside #7's uni' who showed that when the game plan was crafted for his skills; when he didn't have his best receiver injured (and others dropping passes) and the MG running game was going great guns that DK#7 could even defy his greatest critics--even those of the home-grown variety? So........surely that wasn't Derek Thompson inside that North Texas #7 uni' ? Or.................was it?

Seriously, the 5 minute version of this video shows a more complete version of what I believe our 5'th year senior QB can do for this Fall's Mean Green football team but here is a shorter version. Forget about statistics--didn't John Madden once say..........."statistics are for losers?"

Fellow alums, Mean Green fans and DT's biggest (yet understandably concerned as loyal alums) critics.............just take an extended look at the very opening scene of this YouTube video below. :( I know how it made me feel for a 5'th year QB who looking back a few Fall campaigns ago someone told him in entertainment jargon to.........."break a leg".........well, at Clemson U before almost 80,000 fans....he did just that. He broke a leg.

And when DT#7 becomes an older North Texas alum one day, chances are that he will probably still be feeling the effects of that broken leg many decades later. Yeah, you're right...it's just part of the game, but just like many of you....I can't and won't criticize Derek Thompson because he's for too many of the same things that we're for as a Mean Green Nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgncfMeAhrY

I just blame the offensive coordinator for inconsistency in preparing the offense for game days, I think DT has the potential.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Got that right. Some of you around here need it. Badly. :roadrage: I'm just tired of watching you all bitch and moan and drive this team into the ground before we even hit the field. I'm sorry..but I won't surround myself with all that negativity. Even when our team has challenges to overcome. Takes away what this game is all about. I come here to check in with my fellow fans and show support and ever so often voice opinions. And yes...throw in some humor. Good grief.

I have high hopes, high expectations (always will) and wish Derek and crew the very best this season. I don't pretend to know what the coaches are thinking and find it a waste of time to even pretend to do so. GMG.

Well, aren't you just an overly optimistic sunshine pumper...

See how that works?

The fact that the coaching staff named a guy the starter that they did EVERYTHING HUMANLY POSSIBLE to replace (right or wrong) in the off-season, the same QB that they wouldn't let throw a pass the last half quarter against WKU in a meaningless game at the end of last season, tells me that we will see the same WAY conservative offense.

It also tells me that we will see 8 and 9 in the box again, especially on 1st and second down. It tells me that the coaching staff will continue to be VERY conservative in their play calling because they don't trust the QB. It tells me we are in for every win being a close win and more DD style run the clock offense, without the mid-tenure DD defense.

And this is far more a criticism of the coach staff than of any QB on the roster, both in their play calling and their failure to recruit QB talent that THEY trust.

Edited by JRock
  • Upvote 4