The paradox of Brock Berglund

Harry

The OC can only do as much as the head coach lets him. I can't imagine that Chico has full autonomy in running the offense and this is the system he came with. For example, there are not that many teams with 9 tight ends. Mac is a defense guy who likes the ground game. To me, he is simply ultra conservative in his approach to the offense. You would think the time at USF and especially Florida would have had some effect on that. But King, and I am just asking, but you were never a big fan of Chico even during his first year here, right?

Last year it was not just conservative play that bothered me it was the lack of execution, throws ten feet over receivers, dropped balls, missed blocks and on and on.

• Upvote 5

I don't get it either. Not one bit.

Also, as for not being able to perform in practice, he was scout team player of the year last year. I don't see why there's such a drastic change when running our own plays.

Much different running the scout team...you run plays the way you are told to run them. Not as much "read" required, not as much making something out of nothing. Running the team's offense involves being both able and willing to make those reads and execute plays as they are called, looking off defenders, improvising when necessary and most of all moving the chains. Some guys can have all the skills in the world to look like all world running the scout team. Much much different doing it "for real" and when moving the chains is on your back.

I have no clue if this is the case with BB, but have seen several great HS QB's that just could not make he full transition to being a #1 on te D1level. Here's hoping his is not the case with BB and tat it is simply a matter of needing a bit more time to adjust and feel comfortable at the D1level. Seems to have the skill set.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Much different running the scout team...you run plays the way you are told to run them. Not as much "read" required, not as much making something out of nothing. Running the team's offense involves being both able and willing to make those reads and execute plays as they are called, looking off defenders, improvising when necessary and most of all moving the chains. Some guys can have all the skills in the world to look like all world running the scout team. Much much different doing it "for real" and when moving the chains is on your back.

I have no clue if this is the case with BB, but have seen several great HS QB's that just could not make he full transition to being a #1 on te D1level. Here's hoping his is not the case with BB and tat it is simply a matter of needing a bit more time to adjust and feel comfortable at the D1level. Seems to have the skill set.

From what I've heard there was plenty of making something out of nothing on the scout team last year.

It's different, no doubt. Thing is, the guys who kill it on scout team are usually just good football players. They're successful on scout team because they have talent and skills to line up and run whatever. Hopefully that translates. Plenty of skill.

• Upvote 2

How many passes has BB completed at the D1 level? Could the potential of DW be even better?

If you were a 3rd year head coach with a QB that passed for an average of 220.8 yards per game last year, would you risk starting one of those guys in game one? Or, would you work one of them into situations that they could succeed at until one was ready to take over?

Who comes off the bench and gains some experience in the first 4 games (all out of conf. with Georgia being th 4th) will tell us who starts the last 8 games in CUSA. If DT is going strong then he will still be the starter.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I just don't get it. Berglund is a great athlete with a quick release, gun arm and wheels. He's absolutely picture perfect for what Mac and Chico wants. I understand he lost reps in the spring. But not a mention of him this Fall....?

From everything I've read he seems like a very good kid, respectful to his coaches and teammates...hard worker...motivated... In the spring game he got limited reps but showed remarkable speed and arm strength...

And yet from Vito's latest report he is running third team and splitting time with a true freshman?

Perhaps he is not a great practice player and fares better in the games?

I just am trying to comprehend why this guy isn't moving up the depth chart faster especially when the more senior guys have struggled. This is one of the bigger head scratcher personnel things I can remember since following this program...

Then he sucks.

#Hit4Plus2MoralVictories

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I'm trying to reserve judgment on BB and just about everyone else on our school's football team until I get to watch them actually play a football game. Am I wrong by wanting to do that?

The problem is once you lock into a starter, they get the majority of the reps both in games and practices. So you may have a long wait to get to see these other guys. You have to hope we get ahead enough in a game to get other guys some time. Frankly we have to get the other guys some snaps, DT is a senior and we need to get one of these guys some experience heading into next year.

Last year it was not just conservative play that bothered me it was the lack of execution, throws ten feet over receivers, dropped balls, missed blocks and on and on.

Well, the worse was throwing a 5 yr pass on 3rd, when we needed 7 for a 1st...you can't throw a 7 yrd pass when all you have to do is catch it for a first....that pissed me off.. At least 2 games last year were do to the ultra conservative play calling way to early in the game...then we got behind and that was that.

• Upvote 1

The problem is once you lock into a starter, they get the majority of the reps both in games and practices. So you may have a long wait to get to see these other guys. You have to hope we get ahead enough in a game to get other guys some time. Frankly we have to get the other guys some snaps, DT is a senior and we need to get one of these guys some experience heading into next year.

True, but I have a feeling we'll see a rotation that will allow one or two "backup" QBs to essentially try out for the job throughout September. I think a case could be made that with a fifth-year returning starting QB/team captain, you almost have to start him in the opening game unless someone else is WAY better already, just for the sake of your team's psyche. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there will be a rotation in game one, and if someone else looks like the better QB, then that person will soon take over. Perhaps McCarney simply wants to show loyalty and respect to his senior class by making the much more inexperienced QBs win the job on game day--if someone is going to take the reins.

It is also possible that DT has actually improved a lot this offseason. That does happen even before a guy's senior season. Not to rehash an old argument, but we were really starved for playmakers last year. DT may not ever be Scott Hall, but he also doesn't have the benefit of Andy Blount, Patrick Cobbs, and Johnny Quinn. One of those guys was among our greatest TEs ever, and the other two spent some time in the NFL. Does DT have that same level of talent surrounding him? Would Scott Hall look like Scott Hall if he were plugged into our current Mean Green incarnation?

• Upvote 1

Scott Hall was a special special player. As I've written on here numerous times he should have been a first ballot UNT Hall of Famer and hell yes he could have taken a team with less talent and done a HELL of a lot more with it than what we have seen around here lately.

That said ---I'm behind DT - if Mac says he's earned the start then I am behind whoever it is 100%. For many faithful fans, it's hard after the last two seasons to get excited about it and I totally understand that. Winning cures everything. If DT is in the coaches mind our best option to win then we need to get behind him 100%. GMG

Seriously folks, the coaches jobs are on the line. Do you really think they have not put some serious thought into this decision? Be disappointed all you want that we have not found our football Jesus. I am. But to second guess the coaches when you have not seen a single practice or scrimmage is ridiculous. Lets just hope that DT can keep us one point ahead of the opposing team each game. Our Football Jesus evidently needs more time to develop.

• Upvote 3

Seriously folks, the coaches jobs are on the line. Do you really think they have not put some serious thought into this decision? Be disappointed all you want that we have not found our football Jesus. I am. But to second guess the coaches when you have not seen a single practice or scrimmage is ridiculous. Lets just hope that DT can keep us one point ahead of the opposing team each game. Our Football Jesus evidently needs more time to develop.

Look, nobody's job is on the line here. Now, that does not mean it should or should not be, or whether we should or should not demand better. But again, Mac will be back for year 4 no matter what happens this season, like it or not. And that's just my opinion. Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3

Remember when these Aggies used mostly 2 QB's in this game and darn near kept us

from hosting the 2'nd Annual NO's Bowl when UNT would beat the CUSA champion University of Cincinatti Bearcats? (scroll down to middle of page to see 3 NMSU QB stats)

New Mexico State Aggies vs. North Texas Mean Green

Nov 16, 2002

1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH FINAL
New Mexico State 7 13 0 7 27
North Texas 7 7 7 17 38

Scoring
NORTHTEXAS M Hickmon 13 YD RUN (N Bazaldua KICK)
NEWMEXST H Briscoe 9 YD PASS FROM P Dombrowski (M Gurule KICK)
NEWMEXST P Winston 62 YD PASS FROM B Pierce (PAT FAILED)
NORTHTEXAS M Hickmon 11 YD PASS FROM A Smith (N Bazaldua KICK)
NEWMEXST B Pierce 4 YD RUN (D Aguiniga KICK)
NORTHTEXAS M Hickmon 12 YD PASS FROM A Smith (N Bazaldua KICK)
NORTHTEXAS N Bazaldua 42 YD
NEWMEXST H Briscoe 56 YD PASS FROM P Dombrowski (D Aguiniga KICK)
NORTHTEXAS K Galbreath 19 YD RUN (N Bazaldua KICK)
NORTHTEXAS A Smith 1 YD RUN (N Bazaldua KICK)

Team Statistics New Mexico State North Texas
First downs 18 18
Rushes-Yards 42 - 105 51 - 263
Passing yards 335 57
Sacked-Yards lost 5 - 30 0 - 0
Return yards 10 34
Passes 19 - 27 - 2 6 - 10 - 0
Punts-Average 3 - 36.3 5 - 43.2
Pumbles-Lost 3 - 2 1 - 1
Penalties-Yards 8 - 75 5 - 45
Time of Possession 30:44 29:16

Player Statistics

Passing
New Mexico State
Cmp Att Yds Int
Pierce, Buck 11 17 180 1
Dombrowski, Paul 7 9 139 1
Copple, Brian 1 1 16 0

North Texas Cmp Att Yds Int
Smith, Andrew 6 10 57 0

Rushing
New Mexico State Att Yds
Bostic, Tony 9 42
Taylor, Walter 12 30
Mouton, Keith 2 19
Dombrowski, Paul 10 12
Winston, Fred 2 9
Pierce, Buck 7 -7

North Texas Att Yds
Galbreath, Kevin 31 175
Cobbs, Patrick 12 66
Hickmon, Michael 1 13
Branch, Ja'Mel 2 7
Smith, Andrew 5 2

Receiving
New Mexico State Att Yds
Briscoe, H.B. 4 105
Winston, P.J. 4 101
Jenkins, Ronshay 4 86
Davis, Alex 4 25
Dixon, Marcus 2 16
Taylor, Walter 1 2

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I have no idea if this is the case or not with Brock and am speaking entirely in generalizations here, but sometimes a kid can have all the physical gifts in the world, yet simply can't adapt to game speed at the next level.

Bingo. College football is full of players that were stars in high school & duds at the next level. College football is a lot different game.

• Upvote 1

Look, I also think Scott Hall should be a hall of famer. Could he do more than DT with our current talent? I'm sure he could, but that's not fair to DT to hold him to "hall of fame" standards. My point is just that I don't think DT has ever had the same luxuries as the guy who is often cited as our last great QB.

For instance, in 2003, we were able to absolutely destroy Baylor. Was the pressure on Hall to take over and control that game with his arm? No, he threw five total passes. Smith threw ten more passes, and combined they had 124 yards. In the last regular season game of that same year Hall had a pretty rough game against NMSU. He went 4-11 for 85 yards and no TDs. And we won. That NMSU team was 3-9 that year. If DT had those kinds of numbers with this year's team against a similarly poor opponent, we would lose, and we would thoroughly castigate him for it.

Scott Hall was awesome, and DT will probably never get to his level. But, Hall did have some bad games too, and when he did, we often still won. When DT has a bad game, we don't stand a chance. Does any of this mean that McCarney is making the right decision in starting Thompson over the others? I have no idea since there's no way of really knowing how they're performing right now. My point is simply that we're being just a tad harsh to DT.

• Upvote 2

Look, I also think Scott Hall should be a hall of famer. Could he do more than DT with our current talent? I'm sure he could, but that's not fair to DT to hold him to "hall of fame" standards. My point is just that I don't think DT has ever had the same luxuries as the guy who is often cited as our last great QB.

For instance, in 2003, we were able to absolutely destroy Baylor. Was the pressure on Hall to take over and control that game with his arm? No, he threw five total passes. Smith threw ten more passes, and combined they had 124 yards. In the last regular season game of that same year Hall had a pretty rough game against NMSU. He went 4-11 for 85 yards and no TDs. And we won. That NMSU team was 3-9 that year. If DT had those kinds of numbers with this year's team against a similarly poor opponent, we would lose, and we would thoroughly castigate him for it.

Scott Hall was awesome, and DT will probably never get to his level. But, Hall did have some bad games too, and when he did, we often still won. When DT has a bad game, we don't stand a chance. Does any of this mean that McCarney is making the right decision in starting Thompson over the others? I have no idea since there's no way of really knowing how they're performing right now. My point is simply that we're being just a tad harsh to DT.

I agree with your point and sorry to rant about Hall...it's just a pet peeve of mine...I just feel the guy is so deserving of UNT accolades.

And yes we should give DT the benefit of the doubt heading into this season. He's our starting QB. He needs our support and we need him to win. GMG

Using that analogy, let's hope he isn't 30 before it happens. Though if he still had his 3 years of eligibility, the timeframe would work out about right.

FW Star-Telegram: "MOST BIG 12 COACHES WON'T SAY WHO WILL START AT QUARTERBACK"

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/08/18/5090371/like-most-other-big-12-coaches.html

For a conference known for talented, gunslinging quarterbacks, the Big 12 is surprisingly slow to its holster less than two weeks from the season.

Six of the 10 teams have yet to name a starting quarterback, including TCU coach Gary Patterson, who said Sunday that he wont reveal his starter until the offense takes the field for the first time against LSU on Aug. 31 at AT&T Stadium.

We wont tell LSU who that guy is going to be until we play, Patterson said Sunday. You wont know until he runs out on the field in the first huddle on game day.

Imagine that?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Look, nobody's job is on the line here. Now, that does not mean it should or should not be, or whether we should or should not demand better. But again, Mac will be back for year 4 no matter what happens this season, like it or not. And that's just my opinion.

Agree. We gave Dodge 43 games. No way we get rid of Mac in shorter time

The coach of Washington Redskins,whose name escapes me, once said "the future is now". This is Mac's 3rd year, has a senior team, and needs to win this season or they may not be a next.

I think Mac is too worried about not losing than lining up your best players and trying to win, just my opinion.

Ditto.

I would add that Mac's conservative play calling may keep games like Georgia semi-respectable, but it takes away any chance of possible victory against teams like Ohio and even Ball St.

For all the talk, I highly doubt we see any change in the failure of an offense we put out there last year.

And that makes me fear the Idaho game VERY much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, nobody's job is on the line here. Now, that does not mean it should or should not be, or whether we should or should not demand better. But again, Mac will be back for year 4 no matter what happens this season, like it or not. And that's just my opinion.

Sadly, you are correct. We could go 0-12 and average 12k a game and it doesn't matter.

UNT simply doesn't care about athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9