The paradox of Brock Berglund

Harry

Ditto.

I would add that Mac's conservative play calling may keep games like Georgia semi-respectable, but it takes away any chance of possible victory against teams like Ohio and even Ball St.

For all the talk, I highly doubt we see any change in the failure of an offense we put out there last year.

And that makes me fear the Idaho game VERY much.

Hmmm - reminds me of another coach with an affinity for diet cola. He did ok in his position here at NT in my opinion. I'm cool with the following:

1.) Coaches with conservative gameplans that win by running over other teams with huge lineman and great defenses.

2.) Coaches with hardly any running game that throw the ball all over the field and outscore you by more than 20 points.

3.) Coaches who are hard to read, give vague answers to gameplan and gameday starts and who seem middle of the road.

4.) Winning.

I am not ok with very few strategies to gameplay.

I am NOT ok with one thing.

1.) LOSING.

• Upvote 2

Hmmm - reminds me of another coach with an affinity for diet cola. He did ok in his position here at NT in my opinion. I'm cool with the following:

1.) Coaches with conservative gameplans that win by running over other teams with huge lineman and great defenses.

2.) Coaches with hardly any running game that throw the ball all over the field and outscore you by more than 20 points.

3.) Coaches who are hard to read, give vague answers to gameplan and gameday starts and who seem middle of the road.

4.) Winning.

I am not ok with very few strategies to gameplay.

I am NOT ok with one thing.

1.) LOSING.

That coach was only successful when he had a defense that was head and shoulders above every other offense in the conference.

That is not the case with this team.

We should be VERY concerned about the Idaho game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow I've been hiatius from here for a while now but I did not expect to see these threads about any QB controversy. I thought that barring anything crazy and catastrophic happening that BB would certainly be the starter and first team. But I suppose we have to give DT some credit if he's worked extremely hard in the off season to improve his game and skills. Should be interesting to watch.

• Upvote 1

That coach was only successful when he had a defense that was head and shoulders above every other offense in the conference.

That is not the case with this team.

We should be VERY concerned about the Idaho game.

Well, don't really disagree with you on this one.

I fear that coach Mac may have already sealed his fate (no contract extension) with the following :

Lack of recruiting competent Defensive Tackles.

It will be sadly ironic, too given that was supposedly his strong point. What happened here? I'd love to hook Coach up to some truth serum to see why we weren't able to have success here over the last couple of years. Would he say it was his fault? Would he blame NT and just say it was impossible no matter what he did?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Sadly, you are correct. We could go 0-12 and average 12k a game and it doesn't matter.

UNT simply doesn't care about athletics.

If I were Rick V and a few others, this type of comment would have me seething and feeling very unappreciated. I can't remember another time when NT put so many $$ into their athletic programs (fan since 86).. We are still WAY behind most D1 football programs when it comes to spending $$ on athletics. But, we are making progress at a rapid rate.

I do believe that we could do a much, much better job when it comes to promoting athletics. in that regard, I tend to agree with you. But, somebody is really interested in seeing NT succeed or we wouldn't have that new stadium, mean green village, practice court, etc.

• Upvote 3

If I were Rick V and a few others, this type of comment would have me seething and feeling very unappreciated. I can't remember another time when NT put so many $$ into their athletic programs (fan since 86).. We are still WAY behind most D1 football programs when it comes to spending $$ on athletics. But, we are making progress at a rapid rate.

I do believe that we could do a much, much better job when it comes to promoting athletics. in that regard, I tend to agree with you. But, somebody is really interested in seeing NT succeed or we wouldn't have that new stadium, mean green village, practice court, etc.

Agree with this but the relationship fans have with RV is a love/hate kind of a thing. One one hand, RV is to be sainted for the increase in facilities, tailgating, some other areas of improvement. I disagree with those to say that those things were basic and any competent AD would be able to handle them. They were in pathetic shape pre RV and took miracles in some cases to get these things done.

The problem most have is the fact that RV (as you correctly stated) is starting to get fed up with the NT90's (sorry bro) and FFRs (again, love you bro, hah!) that keep pushing for even greater levels of success and who have a problem with recent hires and the apparent lack of passion on keeping fans engaged.

My point is that RV should be able to (my observations here, again) shrug off these barbs and insults being thrown in his direction and keep the ship on track. I tend to agree that this season is CRITICAL to RV's legacy. I am starting to see an complacency that is NOT GOOD for this program that is infecting all of the athletic department, not just those at the top.

When this starts to happen it is time for a change. Could the university administration screw up a new AD hire? Sure, but at this point I think we need to take that chance. I will withhold my judgement for one more year to evaluate success or failure on the field(s).

Well, don't really disagree with you on this one.

I fear that coach Mac may have already sealed his fate (no contract extension) with the following :

Lack of recruiting competent Defensive Tackles.

It will be sadly ironic, too given that was supposedly his strong point. What happened here? I'd love to hook Coach up to some truth serum to see why we weren't able to have success here over the last couple of years. Would he say it was his fault? Would he blame NT and just say it was impossible no matter what he did?

Isn't he only in year 3 of a 5 year contract?

Good Lord. I'm tired of hearing about BB. Maybe he's just not that good running a D1 offense. Legal troubles aside, most Big12 coaches don't run off top 15 QB recruits unless they don't have it on the field. Especially the guys that have all the physical measurables. Coaching change or not. Also, everyone wants to keep bringing up Scotty Young, but he's in the exact same boat.

Personally, I think if our offense tanks again this season that it will be Chico's last in Denton. When Mac speaks about the offense, it sounds like he detaches himself from it. It was pretty obvious that Chico was forced on him when he took the job. While Chico professes that his preferred system is the same dual-threat run based spread that Mac prefers, I just wonder if the implementation isn't quite what Mac had hoped for.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Good Lord. I'm tired of hearing about BB. Maybe he's just not that good running a D1 offense. Legal troubles aside, most Big12 coaches don't run off top 15 QB recruits unless they don't have it on the field. Especially the guys that have all the physical measurables. Coaching change or not. Also, everyone wants to keep bringing up Scotty Young, but he's in the exact same boat.

Personally, I think if our offense tanks again this season that it will be Chico's last in Denton. When Mac speaks about the offense, it sounds like he detaches himself from it. It was pretty obvious that Chico was forced on him when he took the job. While Chico professes that his preferred system is the same dual-threat run based spread that Mac prefers, I just wonder if the implementation isn't quite what Mac had hoped for.

If Scotty Young is in the 'exact same boat', and LA Tech is starting a guy that compares to what all rumors are pointing to as 4th string at UNT, then LA Tech is in horrible shape. We should all chalk that game up as a lopsided victory for UNT.

• Upvote 2

TI Green is spot-on here about this being Chico's last year if we fail again on offense. McCarney only loses his job if we win 2 or less games, and even that isn't guaranteed. I suspect that 3+ wins will be enough for Coach Mac to reach his hot seat year of Year 4 out of his 5-yaer contract, just like Todd Dodge did. The buyout is much more affordable at that point and that has been proven that is what matters most to the AD and BOR.

Brock Bergulnd is either a huge under-achiever or needs A LOT of motivation. Maybe that is why the regime looks at this season as a true motivation year without him playing, since it appears he hasn't gotten it done in practice or scrimmages. I still suspect that he will get snaps at QB during games at some point in his UNT career, unless he is just a real bust, which seems more probable as the days go by.

McCarney's tenure is completely dependent on 2014 if we don't win enough this year to get an extension. I'm sure he looks at it as if DT may give him the best chance now to get to 5 wins, which I suspect will be enough to get him an extension here, whether that is sad or not is not the point here. If it appears that halfway thru this season that getting to 5+ wins is not going to happen with DT as QB, then I suspect that someone else will start getting snaps during games, if for no other reason than to get him prepared for 2014, since that is the real make-it-or-break-it season.

The real rub for Coach Mac is that 2014 is not going to be anyeasier than 2013, as far as the schedule goes. We open at UT (certain loss), then play SMU in Denton (50/50 at best right now), and then play at Indiana (50/50 again at best). Add in CUSA games and whoever we play in our last OOC game in 2014 and getting to 6+ wins doesn't seem terribly easy if CUSA teams continue to improve. Right now, losing Tulsa will help, but losing Tulane will hurt, so its a wash as far as conference strength is concerned. If 6+ wins is what it will take to keep Coach Mac as head coach in 2014, its not going to be a walk-in-the park to get there. And if he cannot get to 6 wins in 2014, I'd assume he would get fired, meaning we have to start over again and we get to watch RV pick another coach, which at that point should make just about everyone cringe if Mac is a bust here. That would mean RV would have hired Todd Dodge and Dan McCarney in football, Shanice Stephens in womens hoops, and Tony Benford in mens hoops--and RV would still have another four years on his tenure to make other hires in other sports because of his recent extension. That is what worries me the most as I look toward the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, what's your point? Where have the defensive line stars we were hoping to see been? Isn't 3 years enough to bring in some talent?

My point is you're saying he sealed his fate and no extension is in his future. Im saying it's the beginning of year 3 and barring a complete collapse an extension will come.

This thread is yet again proof that the old adage is correct...The Backup QB is everyone's Favorite Player!

ha! :thumbsu:

Even when the backup QB has never played a down of D1 ball.

Kram I have to disagree with you on this one. First, we do not know who the backup will be. Based on what we have seen the last couple of seasons there is just a lot of doubt on what DT brings to the table. I have no doubt that every Mean Green fan hopes like hell that DT becomes an All-Conference player and we all have to talk about how wrong we are. The fact remains that the ultimate measurement will be Wins versus loses. Sorry, but no more credit, no matter how well deserved, for being “god guys”.

My point is you're saying he sealed his fate and no extension is in his future. Im saying it's the beginning of year 3 and barring a complete collapse an extension will come.

Of course I could be wrong about the extension. We don't have a crystal ball. Only a crystal ball .gif.

My point was just - where's the beef? Mac claimed he was a defensive guru and, to paraphrase: "look at the awesome-ness of this Florida defensive line, some of the best in the country! It has my stamp all over it!!"

Why haven't we had that recruiting bump on the DL he talked about? I've seen it in some other areas but not the one area where he claims to be best at. Strange, isn't it?

Nobody "ran off" BB at KU, unless you mean the fact that Weis brought in Dayne Crist. There was a bunch of drama because BB wanted to leave, but Weis wouldn't release him from his scholarship.

Read, and heard from numerous KU Alumni here on the Front Range, the same 93-98 stated. Only thing close to being as big as Weis' ego is his girth that takes up the Eastern side of the State.

Edited by NTSUEagle

Of course I could be wrong about the extension. We don't have a crystal ball. Only a crystal ball .gif.

My point was just - where's the beef? Mac claimed he was a defensive guru and, to paraphrase: "look at the awesome-ness of this Florida defensive line, some of the best in the country! It has my stamp all over it!!"

Why haven't we had that recruiting bump on the DL he talked about? I've seen it in some other areas but not the one area where he claims to be best at. Strange, isn't it?

Judge slowly.

• Upvote 1

Nobody "ran off" BB at KU, unless you mean the fact that Weis brought in Dayne Crist. There was a bunch of drama because BB wanted to leave, but Weis wouldn't release him from his scholarship.

Well, maybe I stand corrected? So Weiss brought in a couple of ranked QBs that same offseason. Did he want BB to compete for the job and the kid balked? Or was it clear that BB would only ever ride the bench under Weiss? What's the complete story?

Either way, I'm done worrying about how BB or DT are going to save or ruin our season. It is crazy. The coaches are going to start whoever they think gives us the best chance to win. Period. There is no conspiracy theory.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry, but that many of you are delusional.

Brock Berglund is from Colorado, not a highly competitive state for high school football.
Brock Berglund couldn't crack the starting line up on a very bad Kansas squad.

Brock Berglund: ditto at a JUCO, so he split when he saw the writing on the wall.

To those of you making hay about this transfer or that transfer not starting: UNT isn't a high school football team. Whatever many of these "highly rated" transfers did in high school, it didn't translate at their first school. Why are you surprised that they haven't make an immediate impact here?

North Texas fields a Division I college football program. No one steps into the locker room and get anointed a starting position. Everyone earns their position under this coach and this coaching staff. Thankfully.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3