A Little News on Throwbacks

Green Crazy

What makes you think this is entirely RV's call? You might just be surprised to find that things are not always as they seem on the outside. Defiant? Hardly.

Anything not positive "isn't RV's call" while anything positive is solely due to RV. Got it.

He's the AD. Good or bad, it's his responsibility.

He should accept it

Kram,

I think RV is great and has done a lot for the University....but after talking with him and hearing things here and there, I feel it primarily is his call. The Type on the helmets just looks so unprofessional. It's a great typeface, but not on the helmet. I work in branding and deal with design and logos every day. The type has it's place. The helmet should be based on iconography....a symbol. My 2 cents. ;)

What makes you think this is entirely RV's call? You might just be surprised to find that things are not always as they seem on the outside. Defiant? Hardly.

Kram,

I think RV is great and has done a lot for the University....but after talking with him and hearing things here and there, I feel it primarily is his call. The Type on the helmets just looks so unprofessional. It's a great typeface, but not on the helmet. I work in branding and deal with design and logos every day. The type has it's place. The helmet should be based on iconography....a symbol. My 2 cents. ;)

I agree. If you are going to use a font on a helmet, then it should at least be a bold, sports font. Something that makes a statement. A football font should be either bold or since we are in Texas, it should remind you of Texas.

I understand being simple can also look cool and classic, like Penn state, bama, etc, but UNT did not pull it off. It looks lame.

The practice helmets that I saw with no logo, a black facemask, and 2 black stripes look simple, but cooler than the north Texas on the current helmet.

I work in branding and deal with design and logos every day. The type has it's place. The helmet should be based on iconography....a symbol. My 2 cents. ;)

I agree but I know our history. You could be Lester Wunderman himself walking into the offices on Bonnie Brea giving your .2 cents and it wouldn't do you an ounce of good.

Rick

I much prefer a logo to the spelling, but it honestly doesn't matter that much to me. The schools below may disagree with your comment above.

Illinois

Southern Miss

Tulsa

Ohio

Cal

Ole Miss

If you include those that use their initials, you can throw in the likes of UCLA, UNLV, LSU, etc...

and USC, TCU, etc...I'm fine with the North Texas...perhaps after we starat winning we can go back the the worm.

Kram,

Do not totally disagree with you here at all. But, let me ask you this...do you work in branding at UNT? UNT seems to have a "unique" situation regarding branding...and that includes athletics. Happy to chat with you in private about this if you wish.

Because I've heard it straight from his mouth. It might not be ENTIRELY his decision, but he's certainly a main reason why we don't have the SOW on our helmets

Well, he may be referring to the challeges he has with the whole branding thing. And what he is allowed to use and not use by the university under the current branding outlines.

Anything not positive "isn't RV's call" while anything positive is solely due to RV. Got it.

He's the AD. Good or bad, it's his responsibility.

He should accept it

Funny...quite the over simplication, but funny. When one doesn't have any info other than speculation and rumor, one often tends to over simplfy, but that's OK...only at North Texas, right? Keep this thought for our discussion Saturday. Looking forward to seeing...bring Wendy! :-)

I've heard about some of the challenges that UNT branding has presented. By the way...I met a UNT big wig recently (Won't mention any names) and was a shocked at their reaction to me mentioning UNT athletics. Remind me to tell you about it when I see you again. Not surprising, but blew me away. I was embarrassed for them.

Do not totally disagree with you here at all. But, let me ask you this...do you work in branding at UNT? UNT seems to have a "unique" situation regarding branding...and that includes athletics. Happy to chat with you in private about this if you wish.

Well, he may be referring to the challeges he has with the whole branding thing. And what he is allowed to use and not use by the university under the current branding outlines.

Funny...quite the over simplication, but funny. When one doesn't have any info other than speculation and rumor, one often tends to over simplfy, but that's OK...only at North Texas, right? Keep this thought for our discussion Saturday. Looking forward to seeing...bring Wendy! :-)

And, just for the record. I could not care less what logo is on the helmet if any at all. Alabama does pretty well with none. All I want to see is some wins for the folks wearing whatever helmet the Mean Green is wearing...any color, any logo...just win with it! I'll leave all the uniform and logo discussions up to the fashion police here on GMG.Com.

I have no knowledge of any team ever being denied a conference championship or bowl bid due to what logo happens to be on their helmets or what colors they use in what combinations. Until that happens, I'll stick to thinking more that the W's and L's have the most to do with it. When the program's challenges boil down to only what color and logo is used that would be a great thing...until then...not too darn important in my book.

I've heard about some of the challenges that UNT branding has presented. By the way...I met a UNT big wig recently (Won't mention any names) and was a shocked at their reaction to me mentioning UNT athletics. Remind me to tell you about it when I see you again. Not surprising, but blew me away. I was embarrassed for them.

I'll look forward to that story...hope to see you at the Kickoff-Cookout Saturday.

Throwbacks. I love it. I can't wait to see these. We have discussed this idea. Many thought our Battle of the Palouse, with neighbor WSU (8 miles west), would be neat if both schools got on board this event. Good for UNT. Well, now the thoughts of that sweltering heat-hmidity took a little pause with "throwback" uniforms.